A tale of two Als: Why Al Gore sold out to Al Jazeera

Freewill

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2011
Itris them and it is us, such hypocrisy.

A tale of two Als: Why Al Gore sold out to Al Jazeera - News - TV & Radio - The Independent

In 2008, Al Gore, US Vice-President under Bill Clinton and climate change crusader, posed a question during a speech at an energy conference in Washington. Referring to renewable energy sources such as solar power, he asked: "What if we could use fuels that are not expensive, don't cause pollution and are abundantly available right here at home?"

One answer, in light of Mr Gore's decision to sell his Current TV channel to Qatar-financed Al Jazeera, is that it would cause sleepless nights for his new friends in Doha, who make their money by selling fossil fuels to the world. Their success had made

r-AL-GORE-OBAMA-CLIMATE-CHANGE-large570.jpg

Al Jazeera Seeks a U.S. Voice Where Gore Failed

By BRIAN STELTER
1/2/13

9:16 p.m. | Updated Al Jazeera, the pan-Arab news giant, has long tried to convince Americans that it is a legitimate news organization, not a parrot of Middle Eastern propaganda or something more sinister.

It just bought itself 40 million more chances to make its case.

Distributors can sometimes wiggle out of their carriage deals when channels change hands. Most consented to the sale, but Time Warner Cable did not, Mr. Hyatt told employees.

Time Warner Cable had previously warned that it might drop Current because of its low ratings. It took advantage of a change-in-ownership clause and said in a terse statement Wednesday night, “We are removing the service as quickly as possible.”

Al Jazeera Seeks a U.S. Voice Where Gore Failed - NYTimes.com

gore_fail.jpg

"I'M trying to hold back my methane"

Last edited:

A tale of two Als: Why Al Gore sold out to Al Jazeera - News - TV & Radio - The Independent

In 2008, Al Gore, US Vice-President under Bill Clinton and climate change crusader, posed a question during a speech at an energy conference in Washington. Referring to renewable energy sources such as solar power, he asked: "What if we could use fuels that are not expensive, don't cause pollution and are abundantly available right here at home?"

One answer, in light of Mr Gore's decision to sell his Current TV channel to Qatar-financed Al Jazeera, is that it would cause sleepless nights for his new friends in Doha, who make their money by selling fossil fuels to the world. Their success had made

I'm glad that you posted this because I heard two separate radio host talk about the 'hypocrisy' (plural) involved with this sale. What hypocrisy? I don't see it. Please be specific because I ASSURE you that I can defend my position.

I'm glad that you posted this because I heard two separate radio host talk about the 'hypocrisy' (plural) involved with this sale. What hypocrisy? I don't see it. Please be specific because I ASSURE you that I can defend my position.

Gore sold his business to the country with the largest per capita carbon footprint in the world.

He traded his principles for money.

You don't see the hypocrisy in a man who has built his career trying to promote man-made global warming being caused by carbon emmissions selling out to a network financed by oil money? Or a man who has railed again and again about the "rich" paying their fair share trying to broker a deal and claim all his money as 2012 income rather than 2013?

You don't see the hypocrisy in a man who has built his career trying to promote man-made global warming being caused by carbon emmissions selling out to a network financed by oil money? Or a man who has railed again and again about the "rich" paying their fair share trying to broker a deal and claim all his money as 2012 income rather than 2013?

I'll take both of these issues head on.

Selling Current TV to Al Jezerra when the country has a lot of oil wealth and Gore is a proponent of weening the human race off of fossil fuels is not, in and of itself, an example of hypocrisy. (It could be if a certain condition is present, and I'll get back to that).

What WOULD be an example of hypocrisy is if Gore invested in oil wells, or oil companies, or coal mines, or the manufacturing of equipment which was used in the extraction or production of fossil fuels. THAT would be hypocrisy.

As far as taxes go, I don't recall Gore advocating for higher tax rates on the wealthy, but that's not even relevant. Let's just say he did so, and he did so repeatedly. As long as Gore is complying with the law, there is no hypocrisy. There WOULD be hypocrisy if the law was changed, and AFTER the law was changed, Gore requested an exception or exemption from the law that everyone else was required to comply with.

Now, back to the 'certain condition.' IF Current TV, under Gore's direction, previously refused to run ads for the oil and/or coal industries (like those ridiculous CLEAN COAL propaganda pieces the coal industry pushes), and Al Jezerra intended to use the station as a platform for promoting fossil fuels and undermining climate change theory AND Gore knew that at the time of the sale, then THAT would be hypocrisy.

Now, as far as the sale is concerned, Gore might actually be able to do a LOT of good with that big chunk of change he's getting. For example, he could conceivably buy a coal mine and shut it down.

But nothing about this sale (that we know about at this point of time) qualifies as hypocrisy based on Gore's previously stated positions on global warming or taxes.

If you get some relevant information that would change that assessment, feel free to share it.

Last edited:

Selling Current TV to Al Jezerra when the country has a lot of oil wealth and Gore is a proponent of weening the human race off of fossil fuels is not, in and of itself, an example of hypocrisy. (It could be if a certain condition is present, and I'll get back to that).

What WOULD be an example of hypocrisy is if Gore invested in oil wells, or oil companies, or coal mines, or the manufacturing of equipment which was used in the extraction or production of fossil fuels. THAT would be hypocrisy.

As far as taxes go, I don't recall Gore advocating for higher tax rates on the wealthy, but that's not even relevant. Let's just say he did so, and he did so repeatedly. As long as Gore is complying with the law, there is no hypocrisy. There WOULD be hypocrisy if the law was changed, and AFTER the law was changed, Gore requested an exception or exemption from the law that everyone else was required to comply with.

Now, back to the 'certain condition.' IF Current TV, under Gore's direction, previously refused to run ads for the oil and/or coal industries (like those ridiculous CLEAN COAL propaganda pieces the coal industry pushes), and Al Jezerra intended to use the station as a platform for promoting fossil fuels and undermining climate change theory AND Gore knew that at the time of the sale, then THAT would be hypocrisy.

Now, as far as the sale is concerned, Gore might actually be able to do a LOT of good with that big chunk of change he's getting. For example, he could conceivably buy a coal mine and shut it down.

But nothing about this sale (that we know about at this point of time) qualifies as hypocrisy based on Gore's previously stated positions on global warming or taxes.

If you get some relevant information that would change that assessment, feel free to share it.

Maybe he will invest his money in a blinders company.

Maybe he will invest his money in a blinders company.

Conservatives will never sell. They've cornered the market on blinders.

I suppose you also believe that an administration committed to denying law abiding citizens their constitutionally protected right to bear arms and then turning around and selling assault weapons to foreign drug cartels is not an example of hypocrisy.

Maybe only if those cartels use the weapons to murder American citizens?

Oh, wait, that already happened!

Forum List

Back