A Swiss Metal Detectorist Uncovered a Literal Pot of Gold Filled With 1,300 Exceedingly Rare Late Roman Coins

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
A Swiss Metal Detectorist Uncovered a Literal Pot of Gold Filled With 1,300 Exceedingly Rare Late Roman Coins

In a rare and stunning discovery, a metal detectorist unearthed more than 1,000 Roman coins in Bubendorf, Switzerland.

Daniel Lüdin was prospecting with his metal detector on the grounds of Wildenstein Castle in Bubendorf when he came upon the trove of 1,290 coins and immediately informed the local body Archeologie Baselland. The archaeologists were then able to extract the finding in its entirety and conclude that the coins were minted in the 4th century, a period from which very few coins have been discovered.

Using computer tomography at the Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Testing and Research, scientists were able to penetrate the coins without separating them, making it possible to see what lay between the coins. They essentially found a pot of gold left in a bowl with remnants of leather, suggesting that it could have been an offering left for the gods by more than one party.

Bubendorf_Muenztopf2-1024x680.jpg

Photo: Archeology Baselland.
“For the time when the pot from Bubendorf was hidden, there are hardly any comparable hoards in the entire Roman Empire,” read a statement from Archeologie Baselland. “These years are characterized more by their political stability and some economic recovery. On the one hand, this makes the find very special, but on the other hand it poses further mysteries. For what reasons were the coins buried and why weren’t they recovered?”

The coins were found at a point where three Roman borders met which could suggest an offering in support of peace or protection but there really is no way of known how they came to be there.

In before Spain claims it. ;)

In a rare and stunning discovery, a metal detectorist unearthed more than 1,000 Roman coins in Bubendorf, Switzerland.

Daniel Lüdin was prospecting with his metal detector on the grounds of Wildenstein Castle in Bubendorf when he came upon the trove of 1,290 coins and immediately informed the local body Archeologie Baselland. The archaeologists were then able to extract the finding in its entirety and conclude that the coins were minted in the 4th century, a period from which very few coins have been discovered.

Using computer tomography at the Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Testing and Research, scientists were able to penetrate the coins without separating them, making it possible to see what lay between the coins. They essentially found a pot of gold left in a bowl with remnants of leather, suggesting that it could have been an offering left for the gods by more than one party.

“For the time when the pot from Bubendorf was hidden, there are hardly any comparable hoards in the entire Roman Empire,” read a statement from Archeologie Baselland. “These years are characterized more by their political stability and some economic recovery. On the one hand, this makes the find very special, but on the other hand it poses further mysteries. For what reasons were the coins buried and why weren’t they recovered?”

The coins were found at a point where three Roman borders met which could suggest an offering in support of peace or protection but there really is no way of known how they came to be there.

Wow. Archaeologists think these coins are from the 4th century.

that is cool as Fuck!

the government will probably confiscate it
If memory serves the Swiss will give the finder full value of his find (if he does not want to donate it outright) but yes, it will end-up in possession of the Swiss government and find it's way into a museum.

EU relic hunters are a different breed than those here.....Such a find is worth more in "cred" in the relic hunting community there than monetary gain.

Hell around here where CW relics are "the thing" it's very mercenary. If you are stupid enough to show off your finds you will have "diggers" following you around trying to horn-in where you are digging.

LOL....Years ago I remember mentioning I found a 1850 $20 liberty-head double eagle gold coin in a old wagon road that I had "dug-out" 8 years before.....Kiss my ass if a few days later I drove past the old road (it parallels a existing state road) and sure enough there were diggers in it.....I hope they had fun with the hundreds of old broken horseshoe pieces I left behind me as I worked the road. ;)

Forum List

Back