A serious question for atheists.

Mr.Right

Mar 19, 2015
If it was proven that God exists, and that every word in the Bible was true, would you worship Him?

good luck with the proof that the bible is truth.

but an actual god wouldn't need my worship, if he did, he would have made it very clear by having something occur and showing that it was him

but an actual god wouldn't need my worship, if he did, he would have made it very clear by having something occur and showing that it was him

Here learn something about your bible

A List of Biblical Contradictions

A List Of Biblical Contradictions

Who was at the Empty Tomb? Is it:
MAT 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

MAR 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.

JOH 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

Jesus' last words
MAT 27:46,50: "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, eli, lama sabachthani?" that is to say, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" ...Jesus, when he cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost."

LUK 23:46: "And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, "Father, unto thy hands I commend my spirit:" and having said thus, he gave up the ghost."

JOH 19:30: "When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, "It is finished:" and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost."

When second coming?
MAT 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

MAR 13:30 Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.

LUK 21:32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

MAT 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

MAR 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.

JOH 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.
next time you see your ESL instructor, tell him you want your money back since you lack the basics of reading comprehension.

MK 11:12-14, 20-21 Jesus curses a fig tree for not bearing fruit out of season. (Note: Rather than cause the fig tree to wither and to bear fruit never again, he could have performed a miracle and made it bear fruit even out of season.)

MK 16:17-18 Those who believe are able to handle snakes and drink any deadly poison without suffering harm.

:uhoh3::uhoh3::uhoh3:

next time you see your ESL instructor, tell him you want your money back since you lack the basics of reading comprehension.

Pretty much what I expected. People can't just answer a simple question.

That goes along with 'if the Bible was true', Thumbs.
Blessed are those that believe without seeing
:cool:

Guano is just going to shit on any discussion she finds

Let's change the wording a bit. If it was shown the Bible is true in insisting God has an infinite love for mankind and for individuals, how would an atheist respond to that love? Or, would there be any response at all?

I grant that it is easy to carelessly toss off, "God doesn't need my worship." How easy is it to take someone's love and toss off, "God doesn't need my love, either."

Let's change the wording a bit. If it was shown the Bible is true in insisting God has an infinite love for mankind and for individuals, how would an atheist respond to that love? Or, would there be any response at all?

I grant that it is easy to carelessly toss off, "God doesn't need my worship." How easy is it to take someone's love and toss off, "God doesn't need my love, either."
an omnipotent being has no needs.

and really, god loves us?

I'm not talking mans inhumanity to man, I talking life sucks for no particular reason

so no, still wouldn't pray

and besides, which bible is true? which highly edited version is the truth?

hint; nun

That goes along with 'if the Bible was true', Thumbs.
Blessed are those that believe without seeing
:cool:

Guano is just going to shit on any discussion she finds

"Blessed are those that believe without seeing, or questioning, or challenging because we can fleece them like the sheep they are"

The mantra of Jimmy Swaggert and every other religious leader who learned the power of fear and superstition that could be used as a means to motivate the fearful, superstitious and the gullible.

If it was proven that God exists, and that every word in the Bible was true, would you worship Him?

If it were proven God exists, the Bible would be disproven. The Bible is two mutually exclusive religions, they have no theological business in the same book and can't both be true.

Let's take a moment to review the gawds "infinite love".

You've heard of the Noah Fable? Have you understood why Noah went on his cruise to nowhere? Have you ever connected those dots?

You've heard of the Noah Fable? Have you understood why Noah went on his cruise to nowhere? Have you ever connected those dots?

Here is what we know about the Great Flood, taking both ancient records and modern science accounts:

1) The flood was regional--large enough to cover the ground from horizon to horizon for several weeks.
2) Warning was given by God, but only one person heard. He spread the word and acted upon the news by building a boat.
3) All tragedies tend to cause humans to reflect in hindsight. From the ancient accounts we are told that people were not living up to their potential; in fact, people were behaving badly. We are given the sense that mankind could have been better--should have been better.

There are at least two places in the Bible that alert us that the entire planet was not covered with water. Modern science confirms this.

Then, like today, many are not open to listening to God, or even to people of God. One man was listening, one man gave warning. People shrugged all this off. Afterwards, there was a consensus that people had been depraved, and deserved being wiped away by a flood.

Once we go back to the original dots, reality emerges. Connecting additional dots people have added down through the ages creates a fantasy that even includes unicorns. Fun, perhaps...but not reality.

an omnipotent being has no needs.

and really, god loves us?

I'm not talking mans inhumanity to man, I talking life sucks for no particular reason

so no, still wouldn't pray

and besides, which bible is true? which highly edited version is the truth?

hint; nun

What would you say is at the center of every human heart, or the human experience? What is it we desire most? I will propose that every human wants to love and to be loved. In that, we were made in the image and likeness of God.

What is true is that God loves us. We see this belief being played out in the Old Testament where the Jewish people saw God as loving them above all else (certainly above the Amalekites and the Egyptians). Where humans fail is being able to imagine God loving these "others" as much as they are loved.

If we approach the Bible as being filtered through human insights, before long our own insights are going to join thousands upon thousands of other insights. So, which is true? For me, it is approaching each story from the perspective of love as its foundation. From there it is fairly easy to separate which parts are more from the human perspective, experience.

Keep in mind, when Jews read scriptures, when they come to the story of the Amalekites, they see in the story God's great love and power protecting them. Meanwhile, non-Jews are thinking, "No! Don't kill the babies!" So...what would love decree? That's fairly easy to separate from what humans decreed and did.

(Pssst! Keep in mind this post is from a person who believes, despite all, life does NOT suck. :) )

Here is what we know about the Great Flood, taking both ancient records and modern science accounts:

1) The flood was regional--large enough to cover the ground from horizon to horizon for several weeks.
2) Warning was given by God, but only one person heard. He spread the word and acted upon the news by building a boat.
3) All tragedies tend to cause humans to reflect in hindsight. From the ancient accounts we are told that people were not living up to their potential; in fact, people were behaving badly. We are given the sense that mankind could have been better--should have been better.

There are at least two places in the Bible that alert us that the entire planet was not covered with water. Modern science confirms this.

Then, like today, many are not open to listening to God, or even to people of God. One man was listening, one man gave warning. People shrugged all this off. Afterwards, there was a consensus that people had been depraved, and deserved being wiped away by a flood.

Once we go back to the original dots, reality emerges. Connecting additional dots people have added down through the ages creates a fantasy that even includes unicorns. Fun, perhaps...but not reality.
So why did your gawds of infinite love and mercy decide to drown the vast majority of humanity?

Seems like sour grapes to me.

decide to drown the vast majority of humanity?

First, we don't know that the vast majority of humanity at the time was located in the flooded region. However, it is logical to conclude, even if not a majority of people on earth, A LOT of people were affected.

It is my opinion the flood was a natural disaster, no more designed by God than was the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. What we see in scripture is that God did search for a good man who was listening to Him. We see that warning was given. We see that the man who listened was saved from the flood.

For me, the major question is, "Why weren't people listening?" Perhaps for the same reason people live in California despite predictions that someday the area might fall into the ocean? Until that day arrives, Californians are happy where they are. For the most part.

decide to drown the vast majority of humanity?

First, we don't know that the vast majority of humanity at the time was located in the flooded region. However, it is logical to conclude, even if not a majority of people on earth, A LOT of people were affected.

It is my opinion the flood was a natural disaster, no more designed by God than was the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. What we see in scripture is that God did search for a good man who was listening to Him. We see that warning was given. We see that the man who listened was saved from the flood.

For me, the major question is, "Why weren't people listening?" Perhaps for the same reason people live in California despite predictions that someday the area might fall into the ocean? Until that day arrives, Californians are happy where they are. For the most part.
For me the question is why pick and choose various parts of the bibles? Is that just for conveniences sake.

Forum List

Back