A Search For The Missing

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
very moving, I suggest this warrant officer's blog on WAPO is one that should be widely read.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/reportingforduty/2006/05/just_a_part_of_the_job_cw4_phi.html#more.

A Search for the Missing
A couple of weeks ago, a terrible accident occurred just outside the wire of Al Asad. A convoy was crossing a wash and one of the seven-ton trucks fell victim to the rushing waters, causing all of the Marines and one Navy corpsman inside to go missing. CW4 Phil Brashear, a fellow pilot, was one member of the many crews that launched in support of the Marines and sailors on that truck. I asked him if he share his account of the first day of the mission. In light of the situation and out of respect for the fallen and their families, Phil and I have delayed posting this entry. -- Bert

I am awakened by one of my fellow pilots at 03:30 in the morning telling me that an emergency mission has come up. I gather myself and get to the briefing room with little time to spare. We are briefed that a convoy has lost a vehicle at a bridge site during a flash flood and that there are people missing.

My blood started pumping as the details were given to us. We were told that one service member was immediately rescued and brought back to our location, but did not survive. (Later, we learned that he lived.) We thought of as many contingencies as we could, given the short brief, but this was an emergency. One of the crew chiefs grabbed some blankets to offer survivors and some body bags, just in case the worst was in store. We launched on time and proceeded to our objective area.

Upon arrival, I could see the overturned truck and scattered debris in the water. We landed briefly to coordinate with the ground commander and were quickly given the order to launch and start looking for evidence and Marines. Just after takeoff we saw our first casualty. We called in the coordinates for pickup over the radio to the ground forces. Not believing what I was seeing, we flew a short distance further and saw another dead Marine. My tears for these guys started rolling down my face as the mission continued.

Minutes later, I heard the radio call from the ground commander asking us to pick up the bodies we'd spotted. For a split moment, I thought of how vulnerable the aircraft would be if we landed and started recovery operations along the bank. Though not in the friendliest part of Iraq, we doubled back to our first sighting. I could see everything clearly and noticed as the crew chiefs walked toward the body that the thick mud was going to be a problem. I immediately told my copilot to grab the controls as I exited the aircraft to assist. We walked up on the Marine and all my thoughts were about getting the remains back respectfully.

After I got back into the aircraft, I started crying as I realized what I had done. We moved to the second body and with dignity and respect, we cared for the remains of the fallen comrades. We found our third one down stream in almost a sleeping posture. How I prayed that he was actually asleep, but as we flew closer, it was evident that the rocks in the river had taken their toll. We departed the aircraft and again went on our duty to reclaim the body from the river. We struggled against the deep mud and the larger size of this individual. We were able to get him onboard and then resumed our search.

We worked for the rest of the day. With several hours in the air and the next shift of pilots ready to take over the mission, we returned to Al Asad and debriefed with our Chaplain. I was so thankful for his caring explanation of the necessity of what we had done, but it did not stop my tears. We had not found all of the missing and, before retreating for some rest, prepared the aircraft to start again the next day.

-- Written 4/24/2006, by CW4 Phil Brashear

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to NATO AIR again.

Forum List

Back