A scoop from Mars! Lander digs in

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Gunny, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    more ... A scoop from Mars! Lander digs in - Mars - MSNBC.com

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770

I was hoping for oil, myself. That way Exxon Mobil can hog it all up and cahrge even for money due to transportation costs.:eusa_silenced:

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    hell--at least we could understand that-----"well hell Ma---it came from fricken Mars. What do you expect ?? "

5. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Examining a piece of another world is very cool (it is, after all, about -120 F at night at the Phoenix site). Soon a scoop of Mars stuff will be put in one of the lander's mini ovens and heated to 1800 F. Then a gas spectrometer will identify the vaporous results. We want to identify water and organic compounds. Maybe some tiny Martians will wiggle in our microscope images, but probably not. We want to know if Mars ever had the right stuff for life. Maybe long ago, when it was warmer on Mars, but probably not now. But who knows? Maybe life did begin on early Mars. We know from Earth that once life is established, it is almost impossible to completely extinguish. The next 90 days of science from Phoenix will be very interesting.

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    We sure pay a lot for scientists to find something new to speculate about.

7. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    The entire NASA budget represents one-half of one penny for ever dollar spent in the Federal Budget. I have read your posts on this topic for years, and it is well known you have no use for space exploration. I guess you will just have to read about something else in the news.

8. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I understand your thirst for knowledge ... at the same time, ever consider the ethics to what we arrogantly do? What if life on Mars, as a hypothetical, IS those tiny little microorganisms we're about to cook?

Do you think they would be glad to see us?

I have a notion that one day Man's arrogance in stumbling around in the dark is going to exact a heavy toll on us.

9. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    If the little bits were sentient, then toasting them at 1800 degrees would not be very friendly. Problematic is the potential for contaminating an alien ecosystem with tiny travelers from Earth. That seems likely to happen in the future. We will make mistakes "stumbling around in the dark." Humans are very young. We leave whirlpools in our wake. I do not guess that we should fear the judgment of the Universe, nor expect its forgiveness.

10. Gungnir

Gungnir Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Bla bla bla. Smash a few Ice Comets and Asteroids into Mars and Venus, that will take care of the problem. If we impact a big enough mass we might even be able to mine some really useful heavy metals in yonder distant future. We could get a great start with ORION. :evil:

Unless something revolutionary happens, we will be stuck on Earth for the next half millenium at least (that is a good scenario). If Humans can get a manned mission to another star system; those Humans will be from a more intelligent, rational, self-motivated, and educated society than ours presently. We'ld be wise not to test gee-whiz gadgetry inside of the Solar System either.

Whatever happened with the Huygens Probe? Were Hydrocarbons found on Titan?