A real American Hero...

nakedemperor said:
Also, I think its ludicrous to consider Nixon a misunderstood peacenik (wait, isn't this a bad thing?) who had to lie to the hawks to get peace. Watergate wasn't just a lie about theft. Nixon and his direct subordinate engaged in political burglary, bribery, extortion, wiretapping, conspiracy, obstruction of justice, destruction of evidence, tax fraud, illegal use of CIA, illegal use of FBI, illegal campaign contribution, and private use of public (taxpayer) resources.
Yes he did. And if you will read your history, both sides were engaged in such activities during that period of our nation's history. Nixon just got caught. The FBI was so corrupt during Hoover's reign that Kennedy, Johnson, et. al. got involved in cover-ups, etc. Hoover often bribed presidents or should I say, blackmailed them. Felt was pissed because when Hoover died, Nixon didn't appoint him FBI Director. If Nixon had, Felt would have been involved in the cover-up too. If you do not admit that, then you are just proving you are a partisan hack.

Bullypulpit said:
Ordering buglaries are not the same thing as one's personal pecadilloes. While both reveal deficiency in the moral character of the individuals involved, one is a crime...The other isn't.
Show me where Nixon ordered the burglary. Seriously! I did not like Nixon, by the middle of high school my mother and I were having major fights about the man, I was thrilled when he resigned and furious at Ford for pardoning him.

SmarterThanYou said:
I'm being deliberately obtuse? I'd say you need to look in the mirror.

Lying is Lying, that is your moral equivalence. It doesn't matter whether one lies about the color of their shirt or robbing the US treasury.

the rest of your spewage is semantics. nothing more.

Nixon lied to conceal a crime. Clinton lied to conceal illicit sex. No moral equivalence there aside for the fact they both lied. :rolleyes:

Bullypulpit said:
Nixon lied to conceal a crime. Clinton lied to conceal illicit sex. No moral equivalence there aside for the fact they both lied. :rolleyes:

Bully, a lie is a lie is a lie. BTW, I'm awaiting the proof that Nixon ORDERED the breakin....

Kathianne said:
Bully, a lie is a lie is a lie. BTW, I'm awaiting the proof that Nixon ORDERED the breakin....

But what they lied about, now therein lies the rub. As I stated earlier, one lied to cover up a crime...The other lied to cover up a sexual pecadillo. There is simply no moral, or any other, equivalency here. To equate Linda Tripp's actions with those of W. Mark Felt is simply fallacious.

<blockquote>Jeb Magruder said he heard a telephone call in which President Nixon approved the plan to break into Democratic headquarters at the Watergate hotel and bug the offices. - <a href=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3101661.stm>BBC World Service</a></blockquote>

And also <a href=http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/07/27/magruder.watergate/>HERE</a>

OCA said:
If Mark Felt was a hero then Linda Tripp should be cannonized.

For what...? Telling the world that Monica went down on Bill? That's consensual sex old son...not a crime.

Did you forget your meds again?

Bullypulpit said:
For what...? Telling the world that Monica went down on Bill? That's consensual sex old son...not a crime.

Did you forget your meds again?

For informing on a sitting president who was committing adultery while lying to the American public. You see you and your filthy ilk still cannot bring yourselves to admit the real reason he was impeached, it wasn't the cocksucking, IT WAS THAT HE LIED AND CONTINUED TO LIE LONG AFTER HE KNEW THE JIG WAS UP. Bill was essentially impeached because he put his own power above the interests of the office he held. Hell he should've been removed for killing innocent civilians on the day of his impeachment for no other reason than to deflect attention, now thats scandalous!

Bullypulpit said:
But what they lied about, now therein lies the rub. As I stated earlier, one lied to cover up a crime...The other lied to cover up a sexual pecadillo. There is simply no moral, or any other, equivalency here. To equate Linda Tripp's actions with those of W. Mark Felt is simply fallacious.

<blockquote>Jeb Magruder said he heard a telephone call in which President Nixon approved the plan to break into Democratic headquarters at the Watergate hotel and bug the offices. - <a href=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3101661.stm>BBC World Service</a></blockquote>

And also <a href=http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/07/27/magruder.watergate/>HERE</a>
Bully, please tell me you are not that ignorant...

Do you realize what you are trying to say?

It is not ok for somebody to cover up a crime, but it is ok for somebody to committ a crime to cover up something. I am confused....

Clinton committed perjury. He lied to a grand jury. It was severe enough that he lost his license to practice law. If he were innocent, then why would they revoke his license? Why would they bar him from the BAR?

Either way you look at it, Clinton also committed a crime. He then tried to cover up his crime by denying he committed it. Looks like a snake, smells like a snake and crawls like a snake - hmmmm must be a snake.

The left loves to ignore the context in which Clinton made his lie. He lied to a grand jury investigating charges of sexual misconduct by HIM. Did you know that during his administration, HIS justice department charged, convicted and had sentenced several people for doing EXACTLY what he did?

freeandfun1 said:
Bully, please tell me you are not that ignorant...

Do you realize what you are trying to say?

It is not ok for somebody to cover up a crime, but it is ok for somebody to committ a crime to cover up something. I am confused....

Clinton committed perjury. He lied to a grand jury. It was severe enough that he lost his license to practice law. If he were innocent, then why would they revoke his license? Why would they bar him from the BAR?

Either way you look at it, Clinton also committed a crime. He then tried to cover up his crime by denying he committed it. Looks like a snake, smells like a snake and crawls like a snake - hmmmm must be a snake.

The left loves to ignore the context in which Clinton made his lie. He lied to a grand jury investigating charges of sexual misconduct by HIM. Did you know that during his administration, HIS justice department charged, convicted and had sentenced several people for doing EXACTLY what he did?

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said. But what you heard is not what I meant

What Goat-boy did to his family and to the sanctity of his office was unforgivable, but not a crime. He lied to a grand jury, which is a crime, and was impeached for it.

What Tricky-Dick did to the sanctity of his office and the trust of the nation was unforgivable...and a crime. He lied about his involvement, was impeached, and then pardonend by his errand-boy, Gerald Ford.

The two are not equal, either morally or legally. The actions Nixon took, which led to his downfall, were, by any definition, criminal. Consensual sex between two adults is not a crime.

OCA said:
For informing on a sitting president who was committing adultery while lying to the American public. You see you and your filthy ilk still cannot bring yourselves to admit the real reason he was impeached, it wasn't the cocksucking, IT WAS THAT HE LIED AND CONTINUED TO LIE LONG AFTER HE KNEW THE JIG WAS UP. Bill was essentially impeached because he put his own power above the interests of the office he held. Hell he should've been removed for killing innocent civilians on the day of his impeachment for no other reason than to deflect attention, now thats scandalous!

You and others, however, seem intent on equating fellatio in the Oval Office to ordering burglaries of political opponents. One is a crime, the other isn't, much asyou wish it were otherwise.

The cruise-missle attack on the El Shifa Pharmaceutical Industries factory was based upon flimsy evidence. Photos and testimony from those involved in building the factory showed that there was no room, let alone infrastructure for clandestine biochem research. So yes, Goat-boy should have been brought to the dock on that one. As we all know, there is no statute of limitations for war crimes, so it could yet happen

I find it odd though, that you conveniently fail to remember that the Bush administration's claims regarding Iraq's WMD programs were as, if not more, flimsy than the claims by the Clinton administration of those in Khartoum. I don't hear you calling for Bush to be impeached as a war criminal. I don't hear you protesting about the continuing lies that came from Dubbyuh's White House about the justifications for a war of aggression. Your double-standard is showing.

BP, nobody is saying that fellatio in the oval office was a crime, though i'm sure that many (myself included) have said not only is it poor taste and classless, but its a complete lack of respect for his family.

what we ARE saying is that he lied, it doesn't matter what he was hiding. He lied to a grand jury and THAT is the crime that he didn't have to pay for because of partisan political protection. At least nixon had the sense to resign.

SmarterThanYou said:
BP, nobody is saying that fellatio in the oval office was a crime, though i'm sure that many (myself included) have said not only is it poor taste and classless, but its a complete lack of respect for his family.

what we ARE saying is that he lied, it doesn't matter what he was hiding. He lied to a grand jury and THAT is the crime that he didn't have to pay for because of partisan political protection. At least nixon had the sense to resign.

I agree...Clinton lied. He was impeached. And yes, the little peckerwood should have stepped down. But stop trying to equate Linda Tripp with W. Mark Felt. She was part of a Republican witch-hunt which some Republican insiders admit was pay-back for Nixon...Felt was revealing the crimes of a sitting president. No comparison.

Bullypulpit said:
I agree...Clinton lied. He was impeached. And yes, the little peckerwood should have stepped down. But stop trying to equate Linda Tripp with W. Mark Felt. She was part of a Republican witch-hunt which some Republican insiders admit was pay-back for Nixon...Felt was revealing the crimes of a sitting president. No comparison.
Did I do that?

freeandfun1 said:
Yes he did. And if you will read your history, both sides were engaged in such activities during that period of our nation's history. Nixon just got caught. The FBI was so corrupt during Hoover's reign that Kennedy, Johnson, et. al. got involved in cover-ups, etc. Hoover often bribed presidents or should I say, blackmailed them. Felt was pissed because when Hoover died, Nixon didn't appoint him FBI Director. If Nixon had, Felt would have been involved in the cover-up too. If you do not admit that, then you are just proving you are a partisan hack.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Honesty is always the best policy :salute:

Bullypulpit said:
I know you believe that you understand what you think I said. But what you heard is not what I meant

What Goat-boy did to his family and to the sanctity of his office was unforgivable, but not a crime. He lied to a grand jury, which is a crime, and was impeached for it.

What Tricky-Dick did to the sanctity of his office and the trust of the nation was unforgivable...and a crime. He lied about his involvement, was impeached, and then pardonend by his errand-boy, Gerald Ford.

The two are not equal, either morally or legally. The actions Nixon took, which led to his downfall, were, by any definition, criminal. Consensual sex between two adults is not a crime.

Wrong as usual, Richard Nixon was never impeached.

Bullypulpit said:

Well as Dean said, "...it's a shred of evidence..."

I still feel that a President must uphold the oath of office, to preserve the Constitution. Nixon didn't, Clinton didn't. Both lied, then committed perjury. Whether or not JFK, LBJ would have done the same, we'll never know, as the press covered for them.

OCA said:
Wrong as usual, Richard Nixon was never impeached.

Yeah, he fled office like the cheap crook he was and was pardoned of all crimes he may have commited in office by Gerry Ford. Should'a let him swing in the wind.

Your rebuke has cut me to the quick...Not really. Just thought it'd make you feel better to think it had.

Forum List

Back