A real American Hero...

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
<center><h1>...W. Mark Felt</h1></center>

Now that Mr. Felt's role in bringing down teh Nixon Administration has been made public, it was inevitable that he be castigated as a traitor by former Nixon staffers such as "Tex" Coulson, Leonard Garment, Pat Buchanan and others. Apparently, to them and others at any rate, Mr. Felt's loyalty was to have been to the President.

But the oath that all military, law-enforcement and political office holders take is not an oath of fealty to a prince or king. First and foremost is to "...<i>Support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic</i>...". W. Mark Felt lived up to that oath in the truest sense of its meaning. He brought to light the criminal acts authorized by President Nixon and his aids. President Nixon violated his oath of office by ordering the Watergate burglary, and as a result, he became an enemy of the Constitution rather than it's primary defender. Mr. Felt, rather than betraying his own office and the nation fulfilled his oath of office and, and brought down a President who had betrayed his own oath and office and country.

We can only hope for more such men and women who will live up to this sterling example, and protect this nation and the Constitution from "...<i>All enemies, foreign and <b>domestic</b></i>...".

Bullypulpit said:
We can only hope for more such men and women who will live up to this sterling example, and protect this nation and the Constitution from "...<i>All enemies, foreign and <b>domestic</b></i>...".

Amen Dick Clarke, O'niell et al. Telling the truth might get you the axe, but it will also set you free.

http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=8242

Deep Throat and Genocide
By Ben Stein
Published 6/1/2005 12:22:42 AM

Re: The "news" that former FBI agent Mark Felt broke the law, broke his code of ethics, broke his oath and was the main source for Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward's articles that helped depose Richard Nixon, a few thoughts.

Can anyone even remember now what Nixon did that was so terrible? He ended the war in Vietnam, brought home the POW's, ended the war in the Mideast, opened relations with China, started the first nuclear weapons reduction treaty, saved Eretz Israel's life, started the Environmental Protection Administration. Does anyone remember what he did that was bad?

Oh, now I remember. He lied. He was a politician who lied. How remarkable. He lied to protect his subordinates who were covering up a ridiculous burglary that no one to this date has any clue about its purpose. He lied so he could stay in office and keep his agenda of peace going. That was his crime. He was a peacemaker and he wanted to make a world where there was a generation of peace. And he succeeded.

That is his legacy. He was a peacemaker. He was a lying, conniving, covering up peacemaker. He was not a lying, conniving drug addict like JFK, a lying, conniving war starter like LBJ, a lying, conniving seducer like Clinton -- a lying, conniving peacemaker. That is Nixon's kharma.

When his enemies brought him down, and they had been laying for him since he proved that Alger Hiss was a traitor, since Alger Hiss was their fair-haired boy, this is what they bought for themselves in the Kharma Supermarket that is life:

1.) The defeat of the South Vietnamese government with decades of death and hardship for the people of Vietnam.

2.) The assumption of power in Cambodia by the bloodiest government of all time, the Khmer Rouge, who killed a third of their own people, often by making children beat their own parents to death. No one doubts RN would never have let this happen.

So, this is the great boast of the enemies of Richard Nixon, including Mark Felt: they made the conditions necessary for the Cambodian genocide. If there is such a thing as kharma, if there is such a thing as justice in this life of the next, Mark Felt has bought himself the worst future of any man on this earth. And Bob Woodward is right behind him, with Ben Bradlee bringing up the rear. Out of their smug arrogance and contempt, they hatched the worst nightmare imaginable: genocide. I hope they are happy now -- because their future looks pretty bleak to me.

I'm confused....

do we hold politicians accountable for lying? Or do we examine the reasons why they lied to determine if it was 'ok'? Or do we hold judgement on the lie until we can see if there was so much more 'good' that he/she did before we decide to let it go? :dunno:

Kathianne said:
http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=8242

Deep Throat and Genocide
By Ben Stein
Published 6/1/2005 12:22:42 AM

Re: The "news" that former FBI agent Mark Felt broke the law, broke his code of ethics, broke his oath and was the main source for Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward's articles that helped depose Richard Nixon, a few thoughts.

Can anyone even remember now what Nixon did that was so terrible? He ended the war in Vietnam, brought home the POW's, ended the war in the Mideast, opened relations with China, started the first nuclear weapons reduction treaty, saved Eretz Israel's life, started the Environmental Protection Administration. Does anyone remember what he did that was bad?

Oh, now I remember. He lied. He was a politician who lied. How remarkable. He lied to protect his subordinates who were covering up a ridiculous burglary that no one to this date has any clue about its purpose. He lied so he could stay in office and keep his agenda of peace going. That was his crime. He was a peacemaker and he wanted to make a world where there was a generation of peace. And he succeeded.

That is his legacy. He was a peacemaker. He was a lying, conniving, covering up peacemaker. He was not a lying, conniving drug addict like JFK, a lying, conniving war starter like LBJ, a lying, conniving seducer like Clinton -- a lying, conniving peacemaker. That is Nixon's kharma.

When his enemies brought him down, and they had been laying for him since he proved that Alger Hiss was a traitor, since Alger Hiss was their fair-haired boy, this is what they bought for themselves in the Kharma Supermarket that is life:

1.) The defeat of the South Vietnamese government with decades of death and hardship for the people of Vietnam.

2.) The assumption of power in Cambodia by the bloodiest government of all time, the Khmer Rouge, who killed a third of their own people, often by making children beat their own parents to death. No one doubts RN would never have let this happen.

So, this is the great boast of the enemies of Richard Nixon, including Mark Felt: they made the conditions necessary for the Cambodian genocide. If there is such a thing as kharma, if there is such a thing as justice in this life of the next, Mark Felt has bought himself the worst future of any man on this earth. And Bob Woodward is right behind him, with Ben Bradlee bringing up the rear. Out of their smug arrogance and contempt, they hatched the worst nightmare imaginable: genocide. I hope they are happy now -- because their future looks pretty bleak to me.

So it's okay for the POTUS to break the law with impunity? In a nation of laws, the President is subject to the same laws as any other citizen. If the President is not only above the law, but is the law, then we are living in a totalitarian state.

As the old saying goes, "One 'Awww shit!' wipes out all of your 'Attaboys!' "

SmarterThanYou said:
I'm confused....

do we hold politicians accountable for lying? Or do we examine the reasons why they lied to determine if it was 'ok'? Or do we hold judgement on the lie until we can see if there was so much more 'good' that he/she did before we decide to let it go? :dunno:

Personally, I think they shouldn't lie. However, as Stein makes clear, most in recent time have, actually in all time. So, punishments should be fair. Funny, if lying is such a problem, why isn't Tripp being hailed too?

Bullypulpit said:
So it's okay for the POTUS to break the law with impunity? In a nation of laws, the President is subject to the same laws as any other citizen. If the President is not only above the law, but is the law, then we are living in a totalitarian state.

As the old saying goes, "One 'Awww shi*!' wipes out all of your 'Attaboys!' "

See response to DK.

Sir Evil said:
Hmmm, I think we would have an awful lot to hold accountable! seems accountability is only good when using it for a purpose like our man bully has done here otherwise it's the same old story day in and day out with politicians for the most part.

No politician is above the law. They must either live by it or suffer the consequences...Not change the rules to cover their asses.

Kathianne said:
Personally, I think they shouldn't lie. However, as Stein makes clear, most in recent time have, actually in all time. So, punishments should be fair. Funny, if lying is such a problem, why isn't Tripp being hailed too?

Consensual sex between two adults is not a crime. Ordering a burglary against one's political opponents is. Apples and oranges dear lady.

Bullypulpit said:
Consensual sex between two adults is not a crime. Ordering a burglary against one's political opponents is. Apples and oranges dear lady.

Perjury is, dipstick.

Bullypulpit said:
you seem to forget that clinton LIED, to a grand jury. or does that not count because it was only a blowjob?

Bullypulpit said:
Consensual se* between two adults is not a crime. Ordering a burglary against one's political opponents is. Apples and oranges dear lady.

Actually perjury/obstruction of justice are serious crimes. The media covering for JFK, LBJ also was wrong. The only one held accountable was Nixon. Selective prosecution.

SmarterThanYou said:
you seem to forget that clinton LIED, to a grand jury. or does that not count because it was only a blowjob?

Nixon lied too. Both suffered the consequences for their lies. But that aside, you're being deliberately obtuse. Consensual sex between two adults IS NOT the moral equivalent of ordering the burglary of a political opponents offices, which the conservative talking heads like Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity and others are trying to make it.

Linda Trippp is not the Clinton era equivalent of Mark Felt. Mark Felt exposed the crimes of the President and his staff. Linda Tripp revealed a sexual encounter between two consenting adults. Not the same thing.

BTW when are y'all gonna get over Bill CLinton?

Kathianne said:
Actually perjury/obstruction of justice are serious crimes. The media covering for JFK, LBJ also was wrong. The only one held accountable was Nixon. Selective prosecution.

Ordering buglaries are not the same thing as one's personal pecadilloes. While both reveal deficiency in the moral character of the individuals involved, one is a crime...The other isn't.

Cmon Bully...you are dodging and it isn't working.Clinton LIED to a grand jury....it's not about his sexual escapades. Or are you advocating that Clinton's lie was justifiable or excusable?
By the way, I'll forget about Clinton when you forget about Bush.

Bullypulpit said:
Nixon lied too. Both suffered the consequences for their lies. But that aside, you're being deliberately obtuse. Consensual sex between two adults IS NOT the moral equivalent of ordering the burglary of a political opponents offices, which the conservative talking heads like Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity and others are trying to make it.

Linda Trippp is not the Clinton era equivalent of Mark Felt. Mark Felt exposed the crimes of the President and his staff. Linda Tripp revealed a sexual encounter between two consenting adults. Not the same thing.

BTW when are y'all gonna get over Bill CLinton?
I'm being deliberately obtuse? I'd say you need to look in the mirror.

Lying is Lying, that is your moral equivalence. It doesn't matter whether one lies about the color of their shirt or robbing the US treasury.

the rest of your spewage is semantics. nothing more.

Sir Evil said:
Bully - please direct me to a politician that you know of that has never lied, or perhaps that you see as being totally straight.

J- I think its a perilously reductive idea to think that a) all politicians lie/have lied/will lie, but more importanly b) that in light of the pervasive culture of lying, we shouldn't assign any significant import to a revealed liar.

Also, I think its ludicrous to consider Nixon a misunderstood peacenik (wait, isn't this a bad thing?) who had to lie to the hawks to get peace. Watergate wasn't just a lie about theft. Nixon and his direct subordinate engaged in political burglary, bribery, extortion, wiretapping, conspiracy, obstruction of justice, destruction of evidence, tax fraud, illegal use of CIA, illegal use of FBI, illegal campaign contribution, and private use of public (taxpayer) resources.

Bullypulpit said:
<center><h1>...W. Mark Felt</h1></center>

Now that Mr. Felt's role in bringing down teh Nixon Administration has been made public, it was inevitable that he be castigated as a traitor by former Nixon staffers such as "Tex" Coulson, Leonard Garment, Pat Buchanan and others. Apparently, to them and others at any rate, Mr. Felt's loyalty was to have been to the President.

But the oath that all military, law-enforcement and political office holders take is not an oath of fealty to a prince or king. First and foremost is to "...<i>Support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic</i>...". W. Mark Felt lived up to that oath in the truest sense of its meaning. He brought to light the criminal acts authorized by President Nixon and his aids. President Nixon violated his oath of office by ordering the Watergate burglary, and as a result, he became an enemy of the Constitution rather than it's primary defender. Mr. Felt, rather than betraying his own office and the nation fulfilled his oath of office and, and brought down a President who had betrayed his own oath and office and country.

I would have called him a hero had he had the balls to come out and directly say to the public what he knew after he found out the system would not work. Instead he broke the ethics of his job and kept it secret knowing that what he did was wrong.

In this he began an "ends justify the means" justification of his actions. Do what is right then take your lumps, I will be happy to call you a hero. Do it secretly in an unethical and illegal way to save your skinny ass and I am less likely to call you a "hero".

Felt is no hero. As the number 2 man in the FBI, his job was to police the matter, not report it to a newpaper anonymously. The ends do not justify the means. If you think it does Bully, then never ever again mention Abu Gahrib or GITMO. NEVER!

New Topics

Forum List

Back