A rant on pain management, in this country.

Well, it is very simple. Those who don't want pain medication or prefer to take Tylenol for pain conditions that warrant opioids, don't take them. But, don't prevent others from taking them who do need them. ANd, i find it a little disturbing that an ER provider on this board takes the "patient as addict" attitude right off the bat.

Unfortunately the law only allows physicians to prescribe substances - like opiates - that have an extreme potential for addiction even in patients who have previously never had problems with addiction to anything. The law will not all physicians, in most states, to prescribe pot. While marijuana certainly isn't going to work for all pain, it works a lot better the ibuprofen and tylenol

Really? Pharmacologically, MJ has absolutely no analgesic properties. Ibuproffin (and other propionic acids like aleve) are analgesics and anti-inflammatory. Tylenol is an analgesic but not an anti-inflammatory, but has anti-pyretic properties. The mechanisms of action of these drugs can clearly be mapped out.

I understand that altering your perception w/ MJ might work for some people's pain, but it's not really a pain medication.

I would just like to rant about the current status of pain management in the USA!

Some of you know....care....don't care... (and who cares?) that I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis on Dec. 29, 2011. I'm not looking for pity; and this is totally not the point of this thread.

What I am PISSED about, is the the quality of pain management that we as patients receive.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with many autoimmune disorders....in autoimmune disorders, we have what are called "flares". Basically these are flare-ups of the wonderful, MULTITUDE of symptoms that go along with these diseases.

I recently had a flare that lasted for 7 days. My left hip began to spasm on New Year's night. I mean VIOLENTLY spasm-with fasciculations so bad, that it looked like an alien was going to pop out of my leg. I couldn't walk when they would start. I found myself on the bathroom floor three nights in a row, unable to walk back to bed. The pain was excruciating, that I thought I'd fractured my hip, spontaneously. Worse than any kidney stone, or ovarian cyst that I've had....and I've had a few. (TMI? Okay....I'll get to the point.)

3 days into this, I finally contacted my neurologist. Pain medication? No. Even though I was biting my lip not to scream on the phone. I got to talk to her "nurse" (medical assistant.....hey....no offense guys, but there is a huge difference between the two) and was basically told to hang in there. And a day passes, I'm still basically flat on my back, unable to stand for more than 15 seconds without having to sit down, due to the monstrous fasiculations. I get a call that home health will be to my house the next day for 5 days of solu-medrol IV infusions; and to make sure that I take TUMS between infusions for the gastrointestinal discomfort. Nothing for pain...for the muscle soreness that accompanied my involuntary muscle contractions in the above-mentioned. Gee thanks, doc.

I received the infusions, which stopped the contractures. And now, it feels like I've spent a week hiking and rock climbing. And I've done this many times my friends, so I know that there is going to be some amino acid buildup afterward for several days. I was in fantastic shape before all this began. Also, rheumatoid arthritis hasn't been ruled out, yet. We're just trying to halt the (MS) disease process, right now. One lesion on my cervical spinal cord is enough.

And finally down to the point of this entire thread:
The significant dosage of neurontin was not helping (what I thought was probably muscle soreness secondary to the contractions). I explained to this...medical assistant, that I was ingesting approximately 3200mg ibuprofen daily-to the point that I was beginning to get gastrointestinal symptoms as well. This didn't even strike a c-major in this woman. "Well......Dr. (no giving name) wants to try botox injections."

I asked these people if I could have 10 pain pills....would have settled for tylenol 3, tramadol...whatever. Nope. SOL and JWF!

I had to go to my PCP who seemed to understand that I was in a lot of discomfort, and gave me what I asked for. Nothing more. Nothing less. I wasn't asking for 90 oxycontin, or 50 fentanyl patches. This is the FIRST time I have asked for something narcotic-wise since this disease process began. And now, I feel like a criminal. I have been referred to a "pain clinic". I find that very insulting. All I want to do, is to be able to return to work, and walk with full range-of-motion of my extremities. I'm getting physical therapy, trying to exercise...doing all the right things.

I want to thank all of the dope dealers out there who go to these establishments, and get these pills to sell. Has it ever crossed your minds to get off your duff and get a job.....do something with yourself? You make me sick to my stomach.

What do I do? Write my representative. My fiance being a pharmacist, told me that doing so might be cathartic, it's probably a waste of time.

So what if you have bulging disks in your lower back. I have 2, and have managed to work...FOR YEARS....without pain medication or disability. Now, I have a true disability, with occasional disabling pain, and I can't get the help I need. Life is not fair...but this is BEYOND UNFAIR. Just 10 pills please, doc. That's all I'm asking.

Thanks for listening; and I'm open for any suggestions, rebuttals, etc... Bring them on. :mad:

I think you will find this relevant:
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) -- The first U.S. clinical trials in more than two decades on the medical benefits of marijuana confirm pot is effective in reducing muscle spasms associated with multiple sclerosis and pain caused by certain neurological injuries or illnesses, according to a report issued Wednesday.

Marijuana Provides Pain Relief, New Study Says

Last edited:
Well, it is very simple. Those who don't want pain medication or prefer to take Tylenol for pain conditions that warrant opioids, don't take them. But, don't prevent others from taking them who do need them. ANd, i find it a little disturbing that an ER provider on this board takes the "patient as addict" attitude right off the bat.

Unfortunately the law only allows physicians to prescribe substances - like opiates - that have an extreme potential for addiction even in patients who have previously never had problems with addiction to anything. The law will not all physicians, in most states, to prescribe pot. While marijuana certainly isn't going to work for all pain, it works a lot better the ibuprofen and tylenol

Really? Pharmacologically, MJ has absolutely no analgesic properties. Ibuproffin (and other propionic acids like aleve) are analgesics and anti-inflammatory. Tylenol is an analgesic but not an anti-inflammatory, but has anti-pyretic properties. The mechanisms of action of these drugs can clearly be mapped out.

I understand that altering your perception w/ MJ might work for some people's pain, but it's not really a pain medication.

Really? Sure, if by "absolutely no" you mean "many studies suggest yes"

From article linked in above post:
A laboratory study supported by the center examined if pot could be helpful in treating migraine headaches and facial pain. In that study, rats given a cannabis-like drug exhibited reduced activity of nerve cells that transmit pain.

From another source:
CB2 receptors appear to be responsible for the anti-inflammatory and possibly other therapeutic effects of cannabis.
Cannabinoid Receptors

Moreover, as I discuss here, a wealth of information also indicates that these drugs have immunosuppressive and anti-inflammatory properties; therefore, on the basis of this mode of action, the therapeutic usefulness of these drugs in chronic inflammatory diseases is now being reassessed.
http://www.nature.com/nri/journal/v5/n5/execsumm/nri1602.html

These effects were found to be due to the suppression of spinal and thalamic nociceptive neurons, and independent of any actions on either the motor system or sensory neurons that transmit messages related to non-nociceptive stimulation. Spinal, supraspinal, and peripheral sites of cannabinoid analgesia have been identified. The discovery of endocannabinoids raised the question of their natural role in pain. Multiple lines of evidence indicate that endocannabinoids serve naturally to suppress pain.
'

Cannabinoid analgesia. [Pharmacol Ther. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI
Cannabinoids mediate analgesia largely via peripheral type 1 cannabinoid receptors in nociceptors
http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/v10/n7/full/nn1916.html
Cannabinoid analgesia as a potential new therapeutic option in the treatment of chronic pain.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16449552
High hopes for cannabinoid analgesia
http://www.bmj.com/content/329/7460/257.full

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,19&q=cannabinoid+analgesia

Sorry - but your suggestion that marijuana has "absolutely no" analgesic or anti-inflammatory properties is simply not supported by the available evidence. Why did you even make that claim?

Last edited:
I was given an rx for fentanyl patches when I cracked my ribs a couple years ago.
After reading the fine print on the insert, I was afraid to use them LOL.

Prescribing a Fentanyl patch for fractured ribs is MALPRACTICE. Unless you have been taking significant doses of oral narcotics for several months or more, the topical fentanyl could kill you. It is VERY strong.

I have only prescribed fentanyl to people with severe chronic pain or cancer.

I would just like to rant about the current status of pain management in the USA!

Some of you know....care....don't care... (and who cares?) that I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis on Dec. 29, 2011. I'm not looking for pity; and this is totally not the point of this thread.

What I am PISSED about, is the the quality of pain management that we as patients receive.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with many autoimmune disorders....in autoimmune disorders, we have what are called "flares". Basically these are flare-ups of the wonderful, MULTITUDE of symptoms that go along with these diseases.

I recently had a flare that lasted for 7 days. My left hip began to spasm on New Year's night. I mean VIOLENTLY spasm-with fasciculations so bad, that it looked like an alien was going to pop out of my leg. I couldn't walk when they would start. I found myself on the bathroom floor three nights in a row, unable to walk back to bed. The pain was excruciating, that I thought I'd fractured my hip, spontaneously. Worse than any kidney stone, or ovarian cyst that I've had....and I've had a few. (TMI? Okay....I'll get to the point.)

3 days into this, I finally contacted my neurologist. Pain medication? No. Even though I was biting my lip not to scream on the phone. I got to talk to her "nurse" (medical assistant.....hey....no offense guys, but there is a huge difference between the two) and was basically told to hang in there. And a day passes, I'm still basically flat on my back, unable to stand for more than 15 seconds without having to sit down, due to the monstrous fasiculations. I get a call that home health will be to my house the next day for 5 days of solu-medrol IV infusions; and to make sure that I take TUMS between infusions for the gastrointestinal discomfort. Nothing for pain...for the muscle soreness that accompanied my involuntary muscle contractions in the above-mentioned. Gee thanks, doc.

I received the infusions, which stopped the contractures. And now, it feels like I've spent a week hiking and rock climbing. And I've done this many times my friends, so I know that there is going to be some amino acid buildup afterward for several days. I was in fantastic shape before all this began. Also, rheumatoid arthritis hasn't been ruled out, yet. We're just trying to halt the (MS) disease process, right now. One lesion on my cervical spinal cord is enough.

The significant dosage of neurontin was not helping (what I thought was probably muscle soreness secondary to the contractions). I explained to this...medical assistant, that I was ingesting approximately 3200mg ibuprofen daily-to the point that I was beginning to get gastrointestinal symptoms as well. This didn't even strike a c-major in this woman. "Well......Dr. (no giving name) wants to try botox injections."

I asked these people if I could have 10 pain pills....would have settled for tylenol 3, tramadol...whatever. Nope. SOL and JWF!

I had to go to my PCP who seemed to understand that I was in a lot of discomfort, and gave me what I asked for. Nothing more. Nothing less. I wasn't asking for 90 oxycontin, or 50 fentanyl patches. This is the FIRST time I have asked for something narcotic-wise since this disease process began. And now, I feel like a criminal. I have been referred to a "pain clinic". I find that very insulting. All I want to do, is to be able to return to work, and walk with full range-of-motion of my extremities. I'm getting physical therapy, trying to exercise...doing all the right things.

I want to thank all of the dope dealers out there who go to these establishments, and get these pills to sell. Has it ever crossed your minds to get off your duff and get a job.....do something with yourself? You make me sick to my stomach.

What do I do? Write my representative. My fiance being a pharmacist, told me that doing so might be cathartic, it's probably a waste of time.

So what if you have bulging disks in your lower back. I have 2, and have managed to work...FOR YEARS....without pain medication or disability. Now, I have a true disability, with occasional disabling pain, and I can't get the help I need. Life is not fair...but this is BEYOND UNFAIR. Just 10 pills please, doc. That's all I'm asking.

Thanks for listening; and I'm open for any suggestions, rebuttals, etc... Bring them on. :mad:
Mskfka, I'm sorry for your pain, and I don't know what to tell you, except You might do a search on pain management caregivers who approach pain differently from your current cabal. I too have an autoimmune pain complex, which took me over 10 years to truly learn ways to manage my pain better, and a change of physicians (when we moved to a warmer climate) who found another issue that truly helped when it was fixed.

The trouble with some physicians is they can't know how much you are suffering because one cannot feel another's pain. The pain-free caregivers may tend to therefore select the option that might carry fewer career-threatening lawsuits. An example would be the lawsuit for which Michael Jackson's pain doctor was incarcerated for his death.

I still have some pain occasionally, but not like it was the first 5 years of screaming-out-loud pain, but most of the time, I get by.

My prayers for you finding a panacea that works for you. Pain seems to be the ugly duckling of all diseases.

Last edited:

I find it a little disturbing that you and your cohorts keep attributing sentiments to me that I never said and don't believe.

Then again, you guys continue to miss the ball on this matter. If you really knew what you were talking about, you'd understand why the ED is not the appropriate place for people to try and manage their chronic pain.

I do know what i am talking about and i didn't say the ER was the ideal place and venue to manage pain. But, the reality is that there are people with chronic pain who are going to have breakthrough pain and at times present to the ER. If you wan't to deal with that kind of stuff then maybe ER medicine isn't for you. People go to the ER for any and all things whether they should or shouldn't is beside the point , they do and they have to be treated adequately based on their condition.

Really? Sure, if by "absolutely no" you mean "many studies suggest yes"

From article linked in above post:

From another source:
Cannabinoid Receptors

http://www.nature.com/nri/journal/v5/n5/execsumm/nri1602.html

'

Cannabinoid analgesia. [Pharmacol Ther. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI

http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/v10/n7/full/nn1916.html
Cannabinoid analgesia as a potential new therapeutic option in the treatment of chronic pain.
Cannabinoid analgesia as a potential new th... [Ann Pharmacother. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI
High hopes for cannabinoid analgesia
High hopes for cannabinoid analgesia | BMJ

cannabinoid analgesia - Google Scholar

Sorry - but your suggestion that marijuana has "absolutely no" analgesic or anti-inflammatory properties is simply not supported by the available evidence. Why did you even make that claim?

Because, as far as conventional teaching goes, MJ is not associated with anti-inflammatory or analgesic properties. (Tylenol is also not an anti-inflammatory).

Thanks for the links. I'll have to wait until I am at school to actually pull the articles and see what they say.

I do know what i am talking about and i didn't say the ER was the ideal place and venue to manage pain. But, the reality is that there are people with chronic pain who are going to have breakthrough pain and at times present to the ER. If you wan't to deal with that kind of stuff then maybe ER medicine isn't for you.

LMFAO!

You haven't really spoken with many EM physicians, have you?

You don't really understand the difference between Emergency Medicine and primary care, do you?

Suffice to say, people in chronic pain should have a pain control regimen worked out with their Primary Care Provider that covers breakthrough pain. That is how pain is managed.

If you come to the ED with intractable pain and you have a chronic condition, like cancer, you are going to get admitted for pain management.

The ED is not a pain management center.

People go to the ER for any and all things whether they should or shouldn't is beside the point , they do and they have to be treated adequately based on their condition.

Actually, it is the point. See "Anxious Wimps" for more. People are entitled to a primary survey in the ED. They are not entitled to have their every want, need, or symptom addressed.

I don't see the need for you to be condescending. I do know the differerence between ER physicians and PMDs and their roles and so forth. But, whatever. Apparently, i am not allowed to disagree .

I don't see the need for you to be condescending. I do know the differerence between ER physicians and PMDs and their roles and so forth. But, whatever. Apparently, i am not allowed to disagree .

Wait, you just told me that, after four years of slaving through Medical School, you tell me that I am going into the wrong field because my idea of the appropriate use of narcotics doesn't conform to your perceived notion of what they should be, and you say I am being condescending?

My viewpoints are tame compared to most of the ED attending physicians I have worked under.

Wait, you just told me that, after four years of slaving through Medical School, you tell me that I am going into the wrong field because my idea of the appropriate use of narcotics doesn't conform to your perceived notion of what they should be, and you say I am being condescending?

My viewpoints are tame compared to most of the ED attending physicians I have worked under.

Yes, they are. And they are tame compared to those of us who work in psychiatry and have to deal with this shit on a daily basis!

The general public doesn't seem to be cognizant of the fact that it is ILLEGAL to give narcotics to a known drug abuser. A person who tells the provider that he/she is using marijuana then becomes a known drug abuser because the use of cannabis is illegal. A person who tells his provider that he took his sister's xanax and it worked, is now a known drug abuser because it is illegal to take a narcotic that has been prescribed for someone else. And yet they NEVER understand why those things constitute substance abuse. Nor to they ever get, even though you explain it to them, why you are now precluded by law from ordering controlled substances. To them you are just a mean old prick or a mean old bitch. And then there are the ones who lie and think they are slick. That is why we do a drug screen on everyone who is on or who is asking for controlled substances. Some controlled substances along with alcohol will kill you. Alone they will not in low doses, but together they are lethal. And those ones will refuse a BAL. BUT they will consent to a GGT (gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase) which will spike within 72hours of the patient using alcohol. Caveat: there are other substances like Dilantin which will cause this elevation as well, so it isn't 100%. But it is a help, and I have had patients think I am psychic when the first thing I say is, 'I see you have been drinking along with your medication.'

Condescending. LOL! One should be so lucky. I just think the ones arguing against safe and legal clinical practice are stupid. I didn't spend thouands of dollars on my education to throw it away on a drug addict.

Well, what did you spend thousands of dollars on? You sound very condescending toward the patients you supposedly treat? You don't seem to like your job much or the people you deal with. And, i would assume substance abuse often goes hand in hand with pyschiatiric problems as well and part of your job would involve that also.
As for your rude comments toward me, i have never taken an illegal drug in my life. But, apparently you want to resort to character assassination so i will do likewise.

As for people drinking, drinking is legal. And, i guess you are missing my point of people trying to medicate themselves for issues such as untreated or inadequetly pain, mental illness and so forth. Sounds like you are part of the problem instead of the solution. Tell people they are crazy, present them with your expensive degree leave them lay in the gutter and dont' get your hands dirty. .

He is not the only 'medically trained' person on this thread. And I don't think that is what he is saying. I have seen my share of drug seekers as well. Probably more in my 23 years as a nurse than he has. They exist. They are out there. They have a pattern of behavior, usually.
That reflects a problem with the level of suspicion and fear of censure imparted to medical professionals by the DEA. My GP told me that my age, MRI confirmation of my condition and the relatively small dosage I require enable her to comfortably prescribe for me.

Her comment calls to mind the question of how many legitimate requests for pain medication are denied because the orientation of suspicion and the subtle intimidation by DEA thereby leaves those whose profiles are not as acceptable as mine to suffer unnecessarily.

What suprises me is that i am arguing for adequate treatment of pain and the realization that some people do present to the ER with pain and for some reason this is viewed as controversal and met with hositility. And, there are lots of providers who are hostile and supsicious towards patients. Sometimes rightly so. But, there are also a host of mental health issues that we simply choose to ignore and not address. And, i think untreated mental illness is often and underlying factor because of the stress and distress it causes and the stigma so people do the only thing they can do which is self medicate. And for those with inadequately treated pain, what else do doctors expect them to do? Yeah, they are going to drink alcohol and/or show up in the ER when they can no longer stand it. Funny how things like West Nile virus and Lyme's disease and other illnesses were all in your head until somebody did enough research to come up with tests to prove these things were real. But, i am sure there was a lot of untreated pain and suffering prior to those things being diagnosed because they weren't real until there was a test to prove it was.

I think you will find this relevant:
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) -- The first U.S. clinical trials in more than two decades on the medical benefits of marijuana confirm pot is effective in reducing muscle spasms associated with multiple sclerosis and pain caused by certain neurological injuries or illnesses, according to a report issued Wednesday.

Marijuana Provides Pain Relief, New Study Says

If I weren't a licensed healthcare provider, I would definitely try marijuana. But if I were to test positive for that on the job, my career in healthcare would be over.

I believe that it probably does make one feel better. Although, injections into the sciatic (sp?) feel awesome too! I got my first today. It's working very well.
:clap2:

While I don’t have an exact statistic on this, I can say that most of us are sensitive to the heat. In fact, for many years, the "hot bath test” was used to diagnose MS. A person suspected of having MS was immersed in a hot tub of water, and watched to see if neurologic symptoms appeared or got worse, which would earn them a diagnosis of MS. (This practice was stopped when MRIs came on the scene, but is still practiced in some countries where MRIs are not readily accessible.)

Heat Intolerance and Multiple Sclerosis - Heat and MS - Pseudoexacerbations in MS

you are such a fucking dumb bitch at times

And hysterectomies were used to treat ill behaved (read: "women who don't want to have sex with their husbands) at one time.

The link between latitude and MS incidence (sun/heat exposure) has been disproven.

I really think a hot bath is a wives tale. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than an MRI w/ T2 Flair, and if it were at all accurate, would be a better test.

Exactly. You know they USED to diagnose mumps by having the kid eat a pickle. If the parotid gland hurt then he/she had the mumps. Well this Remodulin I'm on causes that to happen every time I take a bite of anything. According to the wives tale, I will have mumps until the day I die. Think I can get disability? LOL

Yeah, I think that you should get right on that. :lol:

I finally got some pain management. I just spent two nights in-hospital. Diagnosis-4 gastric ulcers.

As soon as my endoscopy was finished, my fiance (pissed) walked into my neurologist's office and demanded to speak to someone. The ulcers were caused by the 10-day prednisone dosage I was taking, and the massive amounts of ibuprofen I was ingesting...for pain management.

Demoral and zofran every 3 hours, IV. This controlled the excruciating pain in my gut, and while off the prednisone for 2 days, once again, I was unable to walk-due to the almost unbearable spasms in my left hip and thigh. So then the demoral was administered for the hip.

And I've FINALLY got some pain pills and an injection-in or around my sciatic nerve (geaux, you understand how that works better than I) so that I can have SOME quality of life. I don't want them for the rest of my life. Just until this flare is over with, and MAYBE I can return to work. HATE sitting at home.

That injection did an amazing thing. I can now walk heel-to-toe on my left foot again. I was having to walk toe-to-heel, and sit down every fifteen to twenty seconds.

Gosh I would love to go to medical school!

Well, what did you spend thousands of dollars on? You sound very condescending toward the patients you supposedly treat? You don't seem to like your job much or the people you deal with. And, i would assume substance abuse often goes hand in hand with pyschiatiric problems as well and part of your job would involve that also.
As for your rude comments toward me, i have never taken an illegal drug in my life. But, apparently you want to resort to character assassination so i will do likewise.

Playing into the hands of a drug addict and losing your license does not make one a more effective provider. There are resources out there for addicts who want to recover. Every addict I see gets and appropriate referral. Whether they take advantage of that referrral or not is entirely up to them. Beating my door down does not indicate they have any intent to recover. It merely indicates that they want me to feed their addiction. No responsible provider allows him/herself to be taken down by a drug addict.

As to how you sound. Well, that's your baby. Don't advocate the illegal practice of medicine and you won't lead anyone to undesired conclusions.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back