A pen and a phone: How Trump will erase Obama’s foreign policy

Vigilante

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2014
Waiting on the Cowardly Dante!!
Yes, the Donald will follow in the Obomanations footsteps, and what destruction that jug earned subversive did will systematically be undone!

‘I’ve got a pen and I’ve got a phone” was President Obama’s favored path to a foreign-policy legacy. Oops. President-elect Donald Trump may now use his own pen and phone to erase it.

But it won’t be that easy.

At first glance, the Paris agreement on climate change, the Cuba détente and the Iran nuclear deal seem easy to undo. Like many of Obama’s stabs at history-making, they were done unilaterally, without congressional advise and consent.

But Obama’s pen didn’t quite write his ticket to immortality in disappearing ink.

Take Iran. Obama and Secretary of State John Kerry insisted that because the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action wasn’t a “treaty,” there was no need for Senate approval. After months of grueling negotiations, it was sealed with a few phones calls and the stroke of a pen.

The deal, however, does carry legal weight. In July 2015, the UN Security Council passed a resolution endorsing it and calling on all UN members to implement it. As far as our allies are concerned, a deal’s a deal.

Yet, Trump isn’t merely stuck with this raw deal, either. He has options.

For starters, he can simply insist on its compliance. Just this week the International Atomic Energy Agency reported that Iran is storing more heavy water than the deal allows. Until now, Obama called such violations “marginal.” We even bought Iran’s excess heavy water to help it comply with the deal.

(Excerpt) Read more at nypost.com ...

I suspect Trumps foreign policy with Russia will change dramatically. He already has the knee pads, and bib, all thats left is to appoint one of his kids as a ambassador, and a Trump Hotel will be standing right next to KGB headquarters at he Kremlin ..

I suspect Trumps foreign policy with Russia will change dramatically. He already has the knee pads, and bib, all thats left is to appoint one of his kids as a ambassador, and a Trump Hotel will be standing right next to KGB headquarters at he Kremlin ..
Your a complete idiot who knows shit about foreign affairs.

The making and carrying out of America’s foreign policy involve all three branches of government and a complex array of governmental institutions and agencies. The president and the executive branch have the most significant role in making foreign policy and are responsible for carrying it out. With the advice and consent of the Senate, the president makes treaties and appoints ambassadors.

fu

The making and carrying out of America’s foreign policy involve all three branches of government and a complex array of governmental institutions and agencies.

fu
Hey is not going to bow down to Putin. Most of it involves the State Department and the NSA as well as NGO's and IGO's.

The making and carrying out of America’s foreign policy involve all three branches of government and a complex array of governmental institutions and agencies.

fu
Hey is not going to bow down to Putin. Most of it involves the State Department and the NSA as well as NGO's and IGO's.

he already blows putin ... what part of " he already has knee pads and a bib" escapes you?

I guess you didn't hear (of course not) Russia's own interfax agency reported Moscow wasn't thrilled over his win...

Lol, Obama tried very hard to use his knee pads. When he told Putin to wait till after the elections so he could work with him better. Putin told him where to go, but since we have a leader once again in the white house. Putin is willing to work with us once again.

fu

he already blows putin ... what part of " he already has knee pads and a bib" escapes you?
None of it "escapes me" because it is so pathetically stupid it was never in faculties grasp anyway.

Yes, the Donald will follow in the Obomanations footsteps, and what destruction that jug earned subversive did will systematically be undone!

‘I’ve got a pen and I’ve got a phone” was President Obama’s favored path to a foreign-policy legacy. Oops. President-elect Donald Trump may now use his own pen and phone to erase it.

But it won’t be that easy.

At first glance, the Paris agreement on climate change, the Cuba détente and the Iran nuclear deal seem easy to undo. Like many of Obama’s stabs at history-making, they were done unilaterally, without congressional advise and consent.

But Obama’s pen didn’t quite write his ticket to immortality in disappearing ink.

Take Iran. Obama and Secretary of State John Kerry insisted that because the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action wasn’t a “treaty,” there was no need for Senate approval. After months of grueling negotiations, it was sealed with a few phones calls and the stroke of a pen.

The deal, however, does carry legal weight. In July 2015, the UN Security Council passed a resolution endorsing it and calling on all UN members to implement it. As far as our allies are concerned, a deal’s a deal.

Yet, Trump isn’t merely stuck with this raw deal, either. He has options.

For starters, he can simply insist on its compliance. Just this week the International Atomic Energy Agency reported that Iran is storing more heavy water than the deal allows. Until now, Obama called such violations “marginal.” We even bought Iran’s excess heavy water to help it comply with the deal.

(Excerpt) Read more at nypost.com ...

By definition, this thread is false because obama had NO foreign policy, except of course you count angering our allies and emboldening our enemies with failed red lines and non-action. I've said for several years that it will take possibly DECADES to undo the damage in the relationships between the US and principal allies like SK, Germany, Japan, Israel, Saudi Arabia, etc.

fu

None of it "escapes me" because it is so pathetically stupid it was never in faculties grasp anyway.

parody escapes most RW morons so thats no big surprise

Ironic post of the month!

Yeah, ole Hussein sure did set things up perfectly for Trump. He often boasted about 'having a pen and a phone', 'not needing Congress', 'they're gonna have to ride in the back', and so on. I have a feeling those who defended his abuses of power, are gonna eat his words. It's our turn to be above the law. It is what it is.

GO TRUMP! GO DEPLORABLES! :dance:

Forum List

Back