A Liberal Question!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lycurgus, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Lycurgus

Lycurgus Who is Obama, really...??

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Obama has just wrapped up and announcing his security team. Base on them collectively, they are more conservative in "topic" nature than Bush. Yes, I realize we were promised change.

I am not judging his selections yet, one way or the other. However, I do have a question and I feel the best ones to help me with the insight I require, are those who support Obama and who are of a liberal political opinion.

Could you please share with me why he chose to go more conservative "collectively" in this area?

Please understand, this is not political pun. The talking heads on the left who I listen to have acknowledged this and their opinions are ones I respect when discussing their own side.

2. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    Obama is not an ideologue.

He chose the people he thought would do the best job.

Except for Hillary who he chose for political reasons.

3. Silence

Silence wanna lick?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +457
    :clap2: yeah what he said

4. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,678
    Who do ya' suppose he'll pick for CIA Chief? Assuming anyone wants it that is.

5. DavidS

DavidS Anti-Tea Party Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +767
    I'll take it! If I'm the head of the CIA, no Muslim will ever fuck with America again.

6. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,411
    You know.....from what I've seen, all the picks that Obama has done are pretty decent, with the exception of one.......

Robert Gates.

Now.....if Obama voted against the war, believed that we went into the wrong country and all of that, what in the fuck is he doing putting the same asshole in the position of SECDEF, that is the one who had put us in this fucking mess in the FIRST place?

I'm going to start speaking out against Obama soon unless he gets rid of Gates.

7. Skeptik

Skeptik Astute observer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +98
    It depends on your definition of "liberal", of course.

Maybe Obama isn't as "liberal" as his opponents painted him, or maybe he is more pragmatic than ideological, as Chris suggests.

Let's hope he is pragmatic. Ideology largely got us into the mess we're in currently, and we desperately need some practical solutions to the problems we're facing.

As for Iraq, yes, Obama said that we should not have gone in to Iraq. The question now, however, is not to decide what should have been done in the past, but what must be done in the future. Saying we shouldn't have gone in is not the same as saying that we should simply leave. The voices saying that Obama wanted to "cut and run" from Iraq were simply wrong.

In fact, a lot of what was said about Obama and his positions during the campaign were simply wrong.

8. Tech_Esq

Tech_Esq Sic Semper Tyrannis!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +558
    In the first place Obama never voted against the war. He wasn't in the US Senate at the time and the Illinois Senate didn't have a vote on going to war.

In the second place, Rumsfeld was the SecDef in 2003 not Gates.

9. Lycurgus

Lycurgus Who is Obama, really...??

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258

Thank you for a well thought and full response. I do have one question in regard to it. Though I understand and fully expect both sides to exaggerate what ever they can, based on what the other opponent may say, I try to separate the rhetoric and fact. I also make it a point to try and listen carefully, reread speeches and then sort for what is meant as opposed to a repeated stump line. Obama did in fact set some very short term goals on removing nearly all troops from Iraq and he did give time limits. So in that respect, I think he set the tone, not so much the other side, though they did try to play it in every direction they could. As is to be expected.

10. Tech_Esq

Tech_Esq Sic Semper Tyrannis!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +558
    We'll have a better idea of what Obama is thinking on defense when he makes his second tier appointments. That will show the direction his policies will eventually take us.