A Lesson In The Walter Reed Problem

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Annie, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I'm now convinced that it is a real problem, a serious one. There is no way that those that have sacrificed so much, should have less than the best care. No. Way.

With that said, what about the calls for 'national health care'? Links:

http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2007_03_04-2007_03_10.shtml#1173102395

2. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    It's all about money. No one wants to pay for a fully articulated artificial limb when a peg leg will do....gotta be frugal ya know! When the budget gets cut for the military, it's not just less beans and bullets for the troops!

As for the entirely inexcusable mismanagement and shoddy treatment by caregivers....all I can say is that some people are asses...even nurses and doctors and case wrokers and therapists and....

3. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Yeah but Walter Reed was on the BRAC and I suspect it was in the cards to limit fixing up the place because they knew Ft. Belvior was scheduled to have a new hospital built. I could be wrong but nobody has mentioned the BRAC.
    This story kind of follows along lines of a base closure when they have contracts on the books for jobs to be completed. You know the G will go ahead and allow for the contracted work to be completed even though the facility is going to close. In other words it is cheaper to complete the job than haggle over pay off of incomplete work and many times it cost more.
    I hope these troops will be tended to in the right manner, you know it is one thing to hear rhetoric on the news in the field and another to first hand experience it once at home with no choices.....

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/May2...0513_1063.html

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Great point about the BRAC....I suspect the BRAC has affected many things at different posts....

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    So far, I don't know what BRAC is, but I will say, I believe our troops deserve and taxes collected should pay for the best accomodations for their injuries. Be it prothesis, surgeries, rehab, etc. For those severely wounded, there should be transportation and accomodations provided.

For those released, there should be reasonably accessible rehab follow up facilities. If what I've been reading is true, many are discharged to places where the rehab for brain injuries is non-existant to sub-par. Not OK for those that have sacrificed on behalf of our country.

6. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    BRAC = Base Re-alinement And Closure; Mandated by Congress and wanted for a long time by the military. It really is a double edged sword because once a base or facility gets on that list, the military spends as little money as possible on it. The other side is that each base that is closed has to be "cleaned up" (some are worse than others) before it can be turned over to the civilian sector. Those clean up costs can be huge!

All the other statements you make are right in line with my thinking!

7. gabosaurus

gabosaurus Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Perhaps the government should consider giving fewer kickbacks and bonuses to defense contractors and invest more in health care.
    But the Bush administration views the military like major colleges view football players. You use them for as long as you can, then you kick them to the curb. Why spend money on people you can't use anymore?

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Perhaps the VA like healthcare in general should just be privatized? Those who can do. The government can't. And you would have them do this to 'poor children.' Shame on you.

9. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I don't totally agree on this statement because it wouldn't matter who is the President the same thing could happen. I can only imagine what Hillary might do, remember Somalia?
    The VA should be a separate part of the process IMO and not because I have a disability either, but because they would get and have better facilities to treat vets who need the assistance

10. glockmail

glockmail BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    I knew this was comin'. Typical Bush Basher.

The VA has been a shit-hole for decades, and YOU blame Bush.

Pitiful.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1