A good reason to save the whales.

All.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IqRPaAYm4I]The Dolphin in the Mirror: Keyboards - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Dolphins ARE Whales.

And Porpoises are related to dolphins and whales.

No not ARE...related, yes.

ARE.

The word is used in a few different ways. It can mean:

any member of the family Delphinidae (oceanic dolphins),
any member of the family Delphinidae or the superfamily Platanistoidea (oceanic and river dolphins),
any member of the suborder Odontoceti (toothed whales; these include the above families and some others),
Dolphin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They are part of the same family: CETACEA

HERE is something COMPLETELY official (completely official I say -- but I am making that shit up, so take it with too much salt): Are dolphins considered whales? - ask Dr. Galapagos

I don't mean to sound like I'm trolling, but seriously, fuck the whales. And the spotted owls, too. If "Mother Earth" decides to start speaking up, I'll accept that "she's" an actual, sentient being, and not an inanimate rock hurtling through space with shit growing on it. That inanimate rock, until it proves otherwise, is no more worthy of that sort of self-sacrificial loyalty than any other nonliving object.

If you want to save some whales and you can do so on your own dime and without imposing your will on others who don't want any part in it, more power to you. They're amazing creatures and I don't condone the needless death of any life. Where it's -more practical- for human existence to ignore the well being of already endangered species, however, I say fuck 'em. If the cost for my property rights is the death of every spotted owl in the state, you just tell me where to aim my bird shot and I'll get started.

And porpoises. Don't forget the Porpoises.

Planets are a dime a dozen and living planets happen. Given enough time and luck, a living planet can be come a Sentient World and those are rare indeed.
Save the whales and porpoises so that OUR Mother has a second chance at Sentience if we primates end up fucking up our shot, which still seems possible.

If we "fuck up our shot" you think the whales would be a serious concern to us?

Can't empathize, eh?

You have my pity. It's a pretty cool emotion.

I don't mean to sound like I'm trolling, but seriously, fuck the whales. And the spotted owls, too. If "Mother Earth" decides to start speaking up, I'll accept that "she's" an actual, sentient being, and not an inanimate rock hurtling through space with shit growing on it. That inanimate rock, until it proves otherwise, is no more worthy of that sort of self-sacrificial loyalty than any other nonliving object.

If you want to save some whales and you can do so on your own dime and without imposing your will on others who don't want any part in it, more power to you. They're amazing creatures and I don't condone the needless death of any life. Where it's -more practical- for human existence to ignore the well being of already endangered species, however, I say fuck 'em. If the cost for my property rights is the death of every spotted owl in the state, you just tell me where to aim my bird shot and I'll get started.

Can't empathize, eh?

You have my pity. It's a pretty cool emotion.

If it helps, think of my op as 'Grand Scheme of Things Poetry', and not necessarily a specific call to any political action. I do understand that primary concern is for #1 - even for those of us who can feel empathy.

If it helps, think of my op as 'Grand Scheme of Things Poetry', and not necessarily a specific call to any political action. I do understand that primary concern is for #1 - even for those of us who can feel empathy.

That does help, actually. Outside of political action, I'm all for saving animals. I've got 7 dogs that I love dearly and plenty of empathy. Seen humpback whales up close several times. . . magnificent. For me it's just, as you say, an issue of primary concern. As amazing as whales are, evidence has shown that humans are a considerably more amazing species in terms of demonstrable capacity and, more importantly, humans are -my- species :lol: Purely a matter of priority based on rational (so I like to think) self interest.

Forum List

Back