A good idea?

MaggieMae

Reality bits
Apr 3, 2009
As part of any new immigration reform legislation, I hope Congess will consider adding something similar to the bill. A proposed requirement to be able to speak at least basic English could be as harsh as proposed by Italy (which wouldn't pass because of our need for seasonal farm workers), or a simple rule like Austria's.

Italy makes immigrants speak Italian for work visa - Yahoo! News
Italy is the latest Western European country turning the screws on an expanding immigrant population by demanding language skills in exchange for work permits, or in some cases, citizenship. While enacted last year in the name of integration, these requirements also reflect anxiety that foreigners might dilute fiercely-prized national identity or even, especially in Britain's case, pose terror risks.

Some immigrant advocates worry that as harsh economic times make it harder for natives to keep jobs, such measures will become more a vehicle for intolerance than integration. Others say it's only natural that newcomers learn the language of their host nation, seeing it as a condition to ensure they can contribute to society.

So far, Italy is only giving a gentle turn to the screw. Cojochru and other test-takers described the exam as easy. No oral skills were tested.

In Austria, terms are tougher. There, where native speakers have been sometimes known to scold immigrant parents for not speaking proper German to their children, foreigners from outside the European Union need to prove they speak basic German within five years of receiving their first residency permit. Failure to do so can bring fines and jeopardize their right to stay.

Great idea, but the US doesn't recognize a national language and I doubt it ever will.

We speak English.

It's not "official", but good luck finding a person that's making a lot of money that doesn't.

Aside from tradition. We couldn't enforce this. We have no law of the land saying Americans speak english.

If we did.

This would be a great idea. People respect those that try to learn the local language over those that don't.

How do I know this?

I was stationed in Italy for 2 years. The better my Italian got the cheaper the food was.

It was kinda funny how much some things went down.

Kinda sad you have to pass a law to make people respect the country they live in.

Great idea, but the US doesn't recognize a national language and I doubt it ever will.

It wouldn't have to be establishing a national language. There are numerous requirements for citizenship, and a basic understanding of English should be one of them. The other requirements are simple too, although they do require a certain amount of studying before the final test is given for citizenship. I think it's not asking much to require that people at least take a quick course in English, although it should be titled something kinder than "English for Dummies." ESL classes are taught in adult education programs all over the country where they learn the basics alongside a mentor who speaks both languages.

We speak English.

It's not "official", but good luck finding a person that's making a lot of money that doesn't.

Aside from tradition. We couldn't enforce this. We have no law of the land saying Americans speak english.

If we did.

This would be a great idea. People respect those that try to learn the local language over those that don't.

How do I know this?

I was stationed in Italy for 2 years. The better my Italian got the cheaper the food was.

It was kinda funny how much some things went down.

Kinda sad you have to pass a law to make people respect the country they live in.

While there is no Constitutional mandate that people speak English, there is a Constitutional mandate on citizenship, which like so many clauses in the Constitution, leaves the door wide open for creation of new laws enhancing eligibility.

[And if this thread turns into a Birfer debate, I will ask that the thread be removed.]

For citizenship, English should be required. I think it's a big advantage to any foreign resident considering the linguistic skills of most Americans, but it's of minor advantage to the country.

After further (I mean some) research I found this;

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/19/washington/19immig.html?_r=1

Seems the GOP wanted to make it official, but dems called it racist.

To create a "national" language, it is.

The Senate voted on Thursday to designate English as the national language.

That's not what this is about.

I was looking to see if there was a law or some legal basis to give this further credence since so many people can't understand that we as a country speak English and have done so for over 200 years.

I agree with you. If you can't speak my language in 5 years, get the hell out, cuz that's blantant disrespect, and you clearly don't want actual citizenship.

And no, making English the language of the land is not racist. That's political grandstanding.

No, it is a stupid idea. Making someone speak a certain language is unconstitutional. What next, we make them wear a certain style of clothing?

If I am not mistaken, the citizenship test is in English anyway.

To get a job in public service, medical, school aids, welfare department, etc you must speak Spanish.
Never say an ad for English speaking only but lots for Spanish speaking a must.

For citizenship, English should be required. I think it's a big advantage to any foreign resident considering the linguistic skills of most Americans, but it's of minor advantage to the country.

I think much of the prejudice against Mexicans concerns the fact that they refuse to learn English. It would be to the advantage of the country if at least some of that prejudice is erased.

In a reverse situation, I have a friend who learned to speak Spanish just by living in the Bronx for several years and she just picked up on it. But the Mexicans don't seem to want to do that, although Puerto Ricans do.

After further (I mean some) research I found this;

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/19/washington/19immig.html?_r=1

Seems the GOP wanted to make it official, but dems called it racist.

To create a "national" language, it is.

The Senate voted on Thursday to designate English as the national language.

That's not what this is about.

I was looking to see if there was a law or some legal basis to give this further credence since so many people can't understand that we as a country speak English and have done so for over 200 years.

I agree with you. If you can't speak my language in 5 years, get the hell out, cuz that's blantant disrespect, and you clearly don't want actual citizenship.

And no, making English the language of the land is not racist. That's political grandstanding.

If it gives the appearance of being racist, whether it is or not, it will become so.

No, it is a stupid idea. Making someone speak a certain language is unconstitutional. What next, we make them wear a certain style of clothing?

If I am not mistaken, the citizenship test is in English anyway.

You're right. It is now, but as I recall up until a few years ago, it could be taken in a variety of other languages common in the United States as long as you answered the other questions satisfactorily. But I could be wrong. Nice catch.

ENGLISH is the international language for business. Without it we are NOTHING! It behooves EVERYBODY worldlwide to learn ENGLISH!!! Those who refuse to learn it are doomed to failure. Period!

We speak English.

In the case of people who are already citizens (born here or naturalized) you're probably correct. But it could be at least attempted to be enforced for those seeking to emigrate.

We speak English.

In the case of people who are already citizens (born here or naturalized) you're probably correct. But it could be at least attempted to be enforced for those seeking to emigrate.

Well I think if we went back to treating people that don't speak the language as assholes that lack the respect to learn the language instead of the poor down trodded upon, this issue would change.

But we quit doing that, and in some places it's hard to get in if you don't speak another language, specifically spanish.

I wanted to be a PTA, Phys therapy assistant. I was told they way to make sure to get in was to learn spanish. The interviewer all but told me that if I didn't I would not get in. Lacking the funds and time for such extra classes....

As a resident of The Empire you don't have to have English skills but to get a shitizenship I'm almost positive you do that in English only.
Where I have my residencies you conduct all business solely in Spanish except for one. The driving test.
All airports, WORLDWIDE handle air traffic in English only.
Strange world.
I think the world should switch to one language.
Bri Bri :eusa_angel:
It's funny that a lot of the kids down this way are studying Chinese and the Chinese kids all study Ingritch.
I guess it makes for a better business relationship.

Forum List

Back