A good idea?

Discussion in 'Immigration/Illegal Immigration' started by MaggieMae, Mar 7, 2011.

1. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    As part of any new immigration reform legislation, I hope Congess will consider adding something similar to the bill. A proposed requirement to be able to speak at least basic English could be as harsh as proposed by Italy (which wouldn't pass because of our need for seasonal farm workers), or a simple rule like Austria's.

Italy makes immigrants speak Italian for work visa - Yahoo! News

2. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    Great idea, but the US doesn't recognize a national language and I doubt it ever will.

3. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    We speak English.

It's not "official", but good luck finding a person that's making a lot of money that doesn't.

Aside from tradition. We couldn't enforce this. We have no law of the land saying Americans speak english.

If we did.

This would be a great idea. People respect those that try to learn the local language over those that don't.

How do I know this?

I was stationed in Italy for 2 years. The better my Italian got the cheaper the food was.

It was kinda funny how much some things went down.

Kinda sad you have to pass a law to make people respect the country they live in.

4. Two Thumbs

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
  5. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    It wouldn't have to be establishing a national language. There are numerous requirements for citizenship, and a basic understanding of English should be one of them. The other requirements are simple too, although they do require a certain amount of studying before the final test is given for citizenship. I think it's not asking much to require that people at least take a quick course in English, although it should be titled something kinder than "English for Dummies." ESL classes are taught in adult education programs all over the country where they learn the basics alongside a mentor who speaks both languages.

6. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    While there is no Constitutional mandate that people speak English, there is a Constitutional mandate on citizenship, which like so many clauses in the Constitution, leaves the door wide open for creation of new laws enhancing eligibility.

[And if this thread turns into a Birfer debate, I will ask that the thread be removed.]

7. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    To create a "national" language, it is.

That's not what this is about.

8. Flopper

Flopper Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,303
    For citizenship, English should be required. I think it's a big advantage to any foreign resident considering the linguistic skills of most Americans, but it's of minor advantage to the country.

9. Two Thumbs

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    I was looking to see if there was a law or some legal basis to give this further credence since so many people can't understand that we as a country speak English and have done so for over 200 years.

I agree with you. If you can't speak my language in 5 years, get the hell out, cuz that's blantant disrespect, and you clearly don't want actual citizenship.

And no, making English the language of the land is not racist. That's political grandstanding.

10. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,811
    No, it is a stupid idea. Making someone speak a certain language is unconstitutional. What next, we make them wear a certain style of clothing?

If I am not mistaken, the citizenship test is in English anyway.