A few minutes with the Senator's Attention today.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by RodISHI, Feb 16, 2009.

1. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Well folk's first I want to thank you all who answered with real questions concerning what you wuold ask a senator.

Today I opted to go with my daughter as she offered to take me grocery shopping on her only day off. We were very low on basic supplies and I could not wait another week.

Good news is Rod did get an opportunity to speak with our Senator. Bad news may be that there were no real answers. Good news may be he did agree to a one on one meeting at a later date.

As Rod held his hand up today to ask his questions he was called on. The first thing he asked our Senator was, "Is anyone going to get these banks on a leash?" The Senator did not answer.

Rod proceeded to tell him that three and a half years ago he had contacted his office for help and the only response he recieved from him back was an information packet and a request for campaign funds. The Senator interupted him on that point and Rod kept on speaking and asking questions for a few minutes. I won't go into the full details at this time as it is obvious the leaders in this nation are at a loss on how to stop what has already happened in the blatant over throw of the typical American dreams for small business enterprises and the average American worker.

This Senator had voted against the bailout. Rod thought it is obvious he was not fully informed on the request for help we had both made for help in our own situation trying to keep from being overthrown by corporate bullies.

One of our senators is a Republican and one is a Democrat.

Rod did say one relatives of one of the local county supervisors made his appearance and said the American workers refuse to work and he supports illegal alien workers. Evidently no one clapped and the guy did not stay long. I do not believe this is true. I believe that greedy people look for anyway to make a buck regardless who it hurts. Our particular county is the poorest county in the state of Iowa and it is pretty obvious why when we have county leaders who are only interested in their own families pockets books and not the very people they represent.

Rod said our senator also looked very tired.

In reading through todays post on the internet I find this information.

I think everyone concerned with this issue should voice their support by contacting their own state representatives asking them to support the "Employ American Workers Act."

It is not a "witch hunt" for a US Senator wanting to protect the American Dreams!!!!! F.. FORBES MAGAZINE!!!!

2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Actually, if an H-1B visa (also known as a work visa) was given to someone, it was because their skills aren't readily available here or there's something unique about them. it isn't easily obtained.

this isn't dealing with illegals. it targets people here legally. and i have real issues with that. particularly when in most instances people don't get work visas unless they already have proposed employment, IIRC.

3. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Did you actually read the articles?

I have a problem with these corporations stealing from the American people.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  4. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    :clap2:

He's got my vote.

5. indago

indago VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +180
    CNN — LOU DOBBS TONIGHT — Aired February 12, 2009 - 19:00 ET

LOU DOBBS, CNN ANCHOR: Business special interests tonight, well, they're intensifying their push for, because we've got millions and millions more of Americans who are losing their jobs, the business interests want more foreign worker visas. The business lobbyists are fighting proposals that would require banks, for example, receiving bailout money to hire American workers first — how about that — Bill Tucker with our report.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

BILL TUCKER, CNN CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): A renewed push for H-1B workers is underway in Washington led by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the Chamber lobbying against a requirement that banks or other financial institutions receiving bailout money hire American workers ahead of foreign guest workers and effectively preventing the banks from hiring guest workers, immediately after or before large-scale layoffs of Americans. The amendment's co-sponsor is appalled.

SEN. BERNIE SANDERS (I), VERMONT: Just think at this moment, we're in the middle of a deep recession. We're losing half a million jobs every month. The financial industry has laid off itself 100,000 American workers and their response is, gee, maybe we can get cheap labor from abroad.

TUCKER: We called the Chamber for an explanation or a comment. It declined. However, "New York Times" writer Tom Friedman (ph) argued in his column earlier this week that such hiring restrictions would be protectionist. Those comments are in line with the Chamber's public comments. Friedman (ph) also argues that such restrictions would be stupid.

http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0902/12/ldt.01.html

Shortened and linked to comply with copyright rules. Next time the post will be deleted since after almost 745 posts, you know the rules. Thanks.

6. Lycurgus

Lycurgus Who is Obama, really...??

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Our former rep to congress was not only very accessible, but, very responsive to her district. She and her husband had been longtime customers of ours prior to her entering congress so we knew her. But, the stories of her helping people and taking the time for them was very common place.

City council and the county commissioners however are just the opposite. Now one of the former county commissioners has replaced our rep to congress, so we don't expect much, based on her record with the county. Our former chose to retire.

It's a shame that often times many of them forget who they really work for. Our former rep would get involved locally even with the smallest of causes and try to help, often times even before being asked. I don't think our district realizes yet how much we are going to miss her. This new one won't give you the time of day.

7. indago

indago VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +180
    It takes a lot of work to help people, and it is possible that your former rep was just worn out. A lot of reps put their efforts into advancing their own cause, which would be more to their liking and give them greater satisfaction, and they would work harder in doing this.

8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    After decades of being cheapskates about funding EDCUATION we find that we have to import workers capable of doing the advanced jobs our industries need.

What a surprise.

I know lots of talented americans who cannot find work, but we've got to hire foreignors.

Foreignors who come form places where higher education was free, I note.

9. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Another issue that was brought up at the meeting yesterday was the status of our military.

A young man there speaking on behalf of his brother who is serving in Afghanistan on a third term of service through the Guard. In service to our country they have lost homes, farms, property, wives, family, children, buddies and friends.

"He gets home he thinks he is all done with his service after three stints only to find out he's been transferred out of state for service in the Guard to another state where he will be rotated back overseas".

Home family job security. Everybody else wants this and our military wants the same. They serve and others benefit. Yet on some of these sites schmucks want to take away more from our military. This should be stopped immediately by both parties on both sides of the aisle.

If we can't support our military, then don't expect them to support us.

10. indago

indago VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +180
    You linked to a transcript of the whole program. I didn't show the whole program; just the segment at issue.