Debate Now A discussion about the efficacy of Trump's merit based criteria for immigration eligibility

Discussion in 'Debate Now - Structured Discussion Forum' started by usmbguest5318, Aug 3, 2017.

1. usmbguest5318

usmbguest5318 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,768
    Discussion Rubric:
    So, one of Trump's stated changes to immigration policy mean that rather than vying for jobs the low end of pay scales, the only immigrants that will be admitted will be ones who can compete at the upper middle segment of them. Well, okay....that's not doing anything helpful for people who qualify only for low-wage (or relatively so) jobs, and such people are the ones griping about immigrants "taking their jobs." Moreover, people in the skill ranges into which immigrants must now fall have long competed quite effectively against immigrants. To wit, in my firm the only reason we hire/sponsor immigrants for jobs ("H1B immigrants") is because we can't find Americans who are qualified for them and who have also applied for them.

Thread Topic/Questions:
    • How much good do you think will come as a result of the "merit" criteria Trump has stipulated for aspiring immigrants to the U.S? What is the nature of the good you think it will do? How and why will the new policy produce the nature and extent of "goodness" you've posited it will deliver?
    Thread Rules:
    1. Support your answer with something sound and credible, i.e., a strong inductive or deductive argument.
    2. Do not post an opinion -- your own or anyone else's -- that is not supported with a sound and credible argument. Include links for existential and behavioral assertions you provide to support your opinion/claims/premises about things and that are less obvious than is the mere existence (or lack thereof) of a nose on one's face.
    3. Adhere strictly to rules one and two, along with USMB stipulated SDF rules.

2. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,463
    What does any of that mean?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 9thIDdoc

9thIDdoc Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,041
    A working taxpaying citizen is an asset. A welfare/charity receiving leech on the system helps tear down rather than rebuild. Seems like a no brainer to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. TNHarley

TNHarley Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58,419
    Census Bureau said almost half of legal immigrants cant speak good english. 15% cant speak english at all. But lets just assume so we can pull out the "phobe" card.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. OldLady

OldLady Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,908
    How does anyone in a skilled position who does NOT speak English function effectively in an American workplace? Do you know?
    Yes, it's a phobe thing. Every student of a foreign language knows you don't become actually proficient in it until you are "immersed" in it by going to a country where it is written and spoken all around you. So immigrants will learn the language once they get here, if it's so important to you. Why is that?
    I don't know how what you said in any way contradicts what I said.

6. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,463

:lmao:

7. OldLady

OldLady Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,908
    And what is Stephen Miller doing taking a press briefing? Holy Toledo, another total hothead administration spokesman? Sarah Sanders should NOT be allowed to take any days off. Ever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TNHarley

TNHarley Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58,419
    My assumption is that the vast majority of those folks do speak English, or they wouldn't be coming here to work
    https://www.census.gov/prod/2014pubs/acs-26.pdf
    Choke on that.
    Bringing up a ridiculous regressive term like "phobe" is the epitome of desperation or hate. Especially when you have no freakin idea what you are talking about. At least you admit your bigotry is based off of "assumption"

9. OldLady

OldLady Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,908
    You did catch the fact that I was talking about the "skilled workers" which will now be given precedence, right? Unless you've got some kind of breakdown showing that the skilled professionals entering this country to work do NOT speak English, you're still not answering my point.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. TNHarley

TNHarley Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58,419
    Your "point" is a fabrication. You want me to discredit something you just farted out randomly? LOL
    Also, you realize its more than just english, right? They have to have certains skills that will benefit us and they must be able to support themselves.
    Beides, "skilled professionals" are only one category of work VISAs we give. One of them are for agriculture. How many lettuce pickers do you think learn how to speak english?
    This shit is common sense. You are just being retarded. "xenophobes" :lol: