A Different View on AHCA

OldLady

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2015
For all you conservatives screaming about the dangers of terrorism, take a minute to read this. In my local paper this morning; I found it an interesting perspective.

The Republican healthcare plan would cause more American deaths than terrorism
May 5, 2017
By Phoenix McLaughlin

Of all the threats to American lives, few frighten the country more than terrorism. Thousands of Americans and tens of thousands of people elsewhere in the world have lost their lives to terrorism over the past two decades. ISIS has killed upwards of 50,000 people over the course of their existence, one or two hundred of whom were American, and al Qaeda has killed over 4,000, most of whom were American. The fight against these groups has consumed much of the U.S. government since 9/11, and it continues to be a top worry of the American people.

But if it’s the loss of American life we’re afraid of, we may need to change our priorities. The Republican Party really put things in perspective for all of us on Thursday, when they passed the American Health Care Act through the House of Representatives. It is a remarkable plan to deny millions of Americans healthcare. The Congressional Budget Office said the original plan would cause 24 million Americans to lose their health insurance by 2026, and 14 million would lose it just in 2018. While the CBO hasn’t had time to score the mildly revised plan, there’s little in it that is likely to reverse those numbers.

As you might imagine, not having health insurance means not having good healthcare. It doesn’t just mean higher bills or even bankruptcy—it means people will not get treated for their problems. And that means people are more likely to die from illness and injury. As it turns out, there is research that confirms this. Studies from the National Institutes of Health, New England Journal of Medicine, and Annals of Internal Medicine, for instance, all found that lack of health insurance significantly increased the likelihood of death. The level of mortality rate increase varied across the studies, but applying the most conservative of the estimates to the the number of people slated to lose health insurance under the AHCA tells us that roughly 24,000 more Americans will die each year. That calculation is based on 20 million people losing insurance, so we would be looking at about 17,000 additional deaths per year starting in 2018/19, once 14 million people lose insurance, and about 29,000 by 2026, when 24 million have lost it.

I must say, part of my job entails researching ways to beat violent extremism, and it feels a bit pointless in comparison. Trying to keep the Senate from passing the AHCA in its current form might be a more worthwhile endeavor if the goal is to save lives.

It’s hard to think of what bill the House could have passed that would kill more Americans than this. A declaration of war probably wouldn’t have done it. The AHCA will lead to more American deaths per year than any war since WWII. Even Vietnam, seen in retrospect as such a disastrous conflict, had a peak of 16,899 American deaths in one year. That’s akin to year one of the AHCA.

Why would Bruce Poliquin vote for this bill? Why would 216 of his colleagues vote for this bill? Why would anyone vote for this bill?

bf8618033328d8c051cbf83cb8564194
About Phoenix McLaughlin
Phoenix McLaughlin works at the National Endowment for Democracy helping to foster political development in Asia. Phoenix lives in Washington, D.C. now, but was born and raised in Norway, Maine. In between, he has studied and/or worked in Colorado, Nepal, India, France, Ethiopia, and Augusta. All opinions expressed on this blog are solely his own and do not represent his current or former employers.

So how will they lose it? Do they mean opt out? Im only asking because that was the rhetoric last time and it was complete bullshit.
Bet these spinning assholes didn't care when millions lost their insurance when obamacare kicked in...

So how will they lose it? Do they mean opt out? Im only asking because that was the rhetoric last time and it was complete bullshit.
Bet these spinning assholes didn't care when millions lost their insurance when obamacare kicked in...
I'm no expert, but what I have heard is that the 14,000,000 expected to lose their coverage in 2018 will mostly be those in states that have the expanded Medicaid program cut.

I'm no expert, but what I have heard is that the 14,000,000 expected to lose their coverage in 2018 will mostly be those in states that have the expanded Medicaid program cut.

How can that be when I'm pretty sure less than that signed up for Obamacare?

For all you conservatives screaming about the dangers of terrorism, take a minute to read this. In my local paper this morning; I found it an interesting perspective.

May 5, 2017
By Phoenix McLaughlin

Of all the threats to American lives, few frighten the country more than terrorism. Thousands of Americans and tens of thousands of people elsewhere in the world have lost their lives to terrorism over the past two decades. ISIS has killed upwards of 50,000 people over the course of their existence, one or two hundred of whom were American, and al Qaeda has killed over 4,000, most of whom were American. The fight against these groups has consumed much of the U.S. government since 9/11, and it continues to be a top worry of the American people.

But if it’s the loss of American life we’re afraid of, we may need to change our priorities. The Republican Party really put things in perspective for all of us on Thursday, when they passed the American Health Care Act through the House of Representatives. It is a remarkable plan to deny millions of Americans healthcare. The Congressional Budget Office said the original plan would cause 24 million Americans to lose their health insurance by 2026, and 14 million would lose it just in 2018. While the CBO hasn’t had time to score the mildly revised plan, there’s little in it that is likely to reverse those numbers.

As you might imagine, not having health insurance means not having good healthcare. It doesn’t just mean higher bills or even bankruptcy—it means people will not get treated for their problems. And that means people are more likely to die from illness and injury. As it turns out, there is research that confirms this. Studies from the National Institutes of Health, New England Journal of Medicine, and Annals of Internal Medicine, for instance, all found that lack of health insurance significantly increased the likelihood of death. The level of mortality rate increase varied across the studies, but applying the most conservative of the estimates to the the number of people slated to lose health insurance under the AHCA tells us that roughly 24,000 more Americans will die each year. That calculation is based on 20 million people losing insurance, so we would be looking at about 17,000 additional deaths per year starting in 2018/19, once 14 million people lose insurance, and about 29,000 by 2026, when 24 million have lost it.

I must say, part of my job entails researching ways to beat violent extremism, and it feels a bit pointless in comparison. Trying to keep the Senate from passing the AHCA in its current form might be a more worthwhile endeavor if the goal is to save lives.

It’s hard to think of what bill the House could have passed that would kill more Americans than this. A declaration of war probably wouldn’t have done it. The AHCA will lead to more American deaths per year than any war since WWII. Even Vietnam, seen in retrospect as such a disastrous conflict, had a peak of 16,899 American deaths in one year. That’s akin to year one of the AHCA.

Why would Bruce Poliquin vote for this bill? Why would 216 of his colleagues vote for this bill? Why would anyone vote for this bill?

About Phoenix McLaughlin
Phoenix McLaughlin works at the National Endowment for Democracy helping to foster political development in Asia. Phoenix lives in Washington, D.C. now, but was born and raised in Norway, Maine. In between, he has studied and/or worked in Colorado, Nepal, India, France, Ethiopia, and Augusta. All opinions expressed on this blog are solely his own and do not represent his current or former employers.
Phoenix McLaughlin works at the National Endowment for Democracy

All opinions expressed on this blog are solely his own and do not represent his current or former employers.

nuff said

I think you are giving him too much credit. That was less substance and mostly partisan attack.
Also, don't states that didn't expand medicare kinda get "punished?" It leaves the door open to states to expand for 3 or 4 more years.
IDK im not an insurance expert.

I think you are giving him too much credit. That was less substance and mostly partisan attack.
Also, don't states that didn't expand medicare kinda get "punished?" It leaves the door open to states to expand for 3 or 4 more years.
I thought it was an interesting perspective. He based it on facts from the studies about the increased frequency of deaths among the uninsured and on the predictions of the CBO.
The organizations doing the studies are reputable. The CBO can make mistakes, but it must be basing the predictions for lost coverage on something other than partisan politics. I think the fact that Medicaid can expand for 3 or 4 more years is why they are saying the 24 mil loss of coverage will not take place for several years. When will they "score" the new plan? It's pretty unusual for the House to pass a bill without a score. If the new version makes such an impact on the outcomes, you'd think they'd want to know that before voting.

Yea, it somewhat does punish states that didn't expand Medicaid, but then again they had a couple years to decide if they wanted to expand. The way I read it is that if they have already expanded Medicaid it will phase out in 2020 and the ones who did not, well it's too late now to expand.

The deal with risk pools is they probably will fold after a couple years, 5% of all in a high risk pool will be 40 to 50% of all claims. Back in the 90's and early 2000's there were risk pools in about 25-30 states, they all went belly up long before of obamacare. It's normally the sickest of the sick in these pools.

you'd think they'd want to know that before voting.

That is funny since the dems didn't know 7 years ago. But then again there were over 2000 pages years ago and now I believe it's under 100, can't see to find the whole thing only Kaiser family breakdown. and it's only 10 pages. And tit for tat shouldn't play into this like a bunch of 5 year olds.

May 5, 2017
By Phoenix McLaughlin

About Phoenix McLaughlin

All opinions expressed on this blog are solely his own and do not represent his current or former employers.

nuff said
Tell me where he's wrong. Statistically speaking, if the AHCA goes through, more Americans are going to die due to the lack of healthcare than are killed by terrorism in the next two years. So which should we fear more?

The far right health care terrorists are more dangerous to Americans than radical jihadists.

May 5, 2017
By Phoenix McLaughlin

About Phoenix McLaughlin

The senate has already said they are crafting their own bill, this will go on probably through the year. They will either speed the process up closer to 2018 election's or let it die or agree on something that resembles Medicare for all. It will go back and forth from senate to congress for a while.

Yea, it somewhat does punish states that didn't expand Medicaid, but then again they had a couple years to decide if they wanted to expand. The way I read it is that if they have already expanded Medicaid it will phase out in 2020 and the ones who did not, well it's too late now to expand.

The deal with risk pools is they probably will fold after a couple years, 5% of all in a high risk pool will be 40 to 50% of all claims. Back in the 90's and early 2000's there were risk pools in about 25-30 states, they all went belly up long before of obamacare. It's normally the sickest of the sick in these pools.
I didn't even know it at the time, but Maine had a high risk pool that they supposedly managed successfully until Obamacare came in and nixed it. That's according to the Republicans, though, so I don't know if it's true.

May 5, 2017
By Phoenix McLaughlin

About Phoenix McLaughlin
Any socialist entitlement program like this is absolutely unnecessary. Whether you call it Obamacare or Trumpcare millions of people want socialist entitlement programs and millions of people do not want socialist entitlement programs.
With a country that has any sort of freedom, forcing everybody into such programs makes the obvious true, there is no such thing as real freedom in this country.
Basically any socialist entitlement program puts a number on the individual, killing the individual…
See that's what is wrong with the legislation of socialist entitlement programs, it forces everyone into such programs. Why would people want to force other people that want nothing to do with such programs?

May 5, 2017
By Phoenix McLaughlin

About Phoenix McLaughlin

nuff said
Tell me where he's wrong. Statistically speaking, if the AHCA goes through, more Americans are going to die due to the lack of healthcare than are killed by terrorism in the next two years. So which should we fear more?
He even states the CBO hasn't went over the new plan.
What exactly is there to prove wrong?

How can that be when I'm pretty sure less than that signed up for Obamacare?
I believe a lot of it was people covered by expanded Medicaid. The majority, I believe.

May 5, 2017
By Phoenix McLaughlin

About Phoenix McLaughlin

nuff said
While the CBO hasn’t had time to score the mildly revised plan, there’s little in it that is likely to reverse those numbers.

No new numbers from the CBO for the bill that was passed?

All I see is him spewing the party line.

and that he works for the National Endowment for Democracy makes it obvious

No one has any idea what the Senate will do with the mandate.

What it will do is protect Medicaid expansion and PP funding.

May 5, 2017
By Phoenix McLaughlin

About Phoenix McLaughlin

nuff said
While the CBO hasn’t had time to score the mildly revised plan, there’s little in it that is likely to reverse those numbers.

No new numbers from the CBO for the bill that was passed?

All I see is him spewing the party line.

and that he works for the National Endowment for Democracy makes it obvious

That's what pisses me off about this whole health insurance, towing the party line. Does one party over another really give a shit about your health care? This should always have been worked on as bipartisan, but noooooooo, just because your either a lib or con. Just remember none of them could give a shit about us.

Forum List

Back