A Couple of Old Guns....Savage 29a .22 & Stevens 5100 SXS 12ga

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked these two up today at my local shop.

A Sears Ranger 102.35 (Savage 29a) .22 pump....S, L, LR....Likely made sometime in the late 1930s to 1940. The receiver's finish is a bit worn (the cast receiver did not hold blue well) and it's fitted with a Lyman tang sight. It's also a take-down.

s 001 (2).JPG

Next up is a post-war Stevens 5100 12 ga SXS with the Tenite stock.....Tenite was used because in the post war years walnut and birch was very hard to come by....This one is in really good shape with very good blue and case hardening....30" barrels choked full and modified.....Likely made between 1946 -'50.

If I was going to use it I'd get me a Stevens 311 stock set for it as Tenite does not hold up all that well and it's light weight tends to beat the snot out of you.

s 005 (2).JPG

Wow, you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel. Maybe you should expand your pawn shop searches to some new territory.

Can you tell that I'm jealous? :auiqs.jpg:

Wow, you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel. Maybe you should expand your pawn shop searches to some new territory.

Can you tell that I'm jealous? :auiqs.jpg:
Yeah, as I was getting ready to take my "bottom-feeder/low-rent" stuff home a guy came in with a un-dinked with 1954 (5 million series) M1 Garand and a pretty nice M1898 (1901 revised) Krag rifle. The guy at the shop paid $2800.00 for the Garand.

He also brought in a excellent 1914 M1905 bayonet & sheath....The best example I've seen in years.

I knew a farmer that we hunted with that had a stevens 16 gauge single barrel with that plastic stock that I hunted rabbits with once and never again. That gun was so light that even with 1 oz loads it punished you. No one wanted to shoot it.

I knew a farmer that we hunted with that had a stevens 16 gauge single barrel with that plastic stock that I hunted rabbits with once and never again. That gun was so light that even with 1 oz loads it punished you. No one wanted to shoot it.
I had a 20ga single-shot with a Tenite stock and it was brutal for a 20 ga. You could carry it all day though. ;)

I briefly had a Stevens 240 .410 O/U and it kicked a lot more than a .410 should. I was offered a nice Colt Detective Special for it and didn't flinch. ;)

OIP.9OO9zd6pQpnr2CaJhkhb-gHaFj

I was mainly a duck hunter in high school, and I had a winchester mod 12 duck gun which was no fun to carry following the dogs, but was death on the water. I thought the 16 would be fun to carry and it was, but after shooting it that pump gun seemed a lot lighter.

Forum List

Back