9 Yr Olds Abortion Draws Catholic Excommunication

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
Christianity Today Liveblog: 9-Year-Old's Abortion Draws Catholic Censure in Brazil

Despite the Catholic Church's attempts to stop the procedure, a 9-year-old Brazilian girl whose stepfather allegedly sexually abused her had an abortion Wednesday after doctors warned that giving birth might result in death. Physicians at the hospital in the coastal town of Recife said the girl - 15 weeks pregnant with twins and weighing 80 pounds - could not give birth without putting her life at risk.

In response, on Thursday Jos? Cardoso Sobrinho, archbishop of Olinda and Recife, excommunicated the girl's mother, who authorized the abortion, and the doctors involved.

Oh and this gem

According to Globo, the stepfather is not being excommunicated. "He committed a serious crime, but . . . there are many other serious sins. Abortion is more serious," said Archbishop Sobrinho.

Nice

A priceless example of how the catholics do not deal with problems of this type.

I guess the poor girl should have been forced to bear the baby?
In the church's opinion anyway?

Nice, I love these red herrings, I say it's justified in that case, but I doubt you agree.

How is this justified? The girl was raped and giving birth would have killed her.

Just waiting on CG to neg us on this.

I will not 'neg', however, this is ONE parish in Brazil. This does not define the Catholic Church worldwide.

Wait....a parish priest has the power to excommunicate?

Yes, I think he does.

This shows how screwed up the RCC can be. The step-father who got his step daughter pregnant through molesting her would not be ex-communicated, but the nine year old child's mother would would for letting her child have an abortion.

Last edited:
I will not 'neg', however, this is ONE parish in Brazil. This does not define the Catholic Church worldwide.

Wait....a parish priest has the power to excommunicate?

Yes, I think he does.

This shows how screwed up the RCC can be. The step-father who got his step daughter pregnant through molesting her would not be ex-communicated, but the nine year old would for having an abortion.
It doesn't look like he can.

"Who can excommunicate?

Excommunication is an act of ecclesiastical jurisdiction, the rules of which it follows. Hence the general principle: whoever has jurisdiction in the forum externum, properly so called, can excommunicate, but only his own subjects. Therefore, whether excommunications be a jure (by the law) or ab homine (under form of sentence or precept), they may come from the pope alone or a general council for the entire Church; from the provincial council for an ecclesiastical province; from the bishop for his diocese; from the prelate nullius for quasi-diocesan territories; and from regular prelates for religious orders. Moreover, anyone can excommunicate who, by virtue of his office, even when delegated, has contentious jurisdiction in the forum externum; for instance, papal legates, vicars capitular, and vicars-general. But a parish priest cannot inflict this penalty nor even declare that it is incurred, i.e. he cannot do so in an official and judicial manner. The subjects of these various authorities are those who come under their jurisdiction chiefly on account of domicile or quasi-domicile in their territory; then by reason of the offence committed while on such territory; and finally by reason of personal right, as in the case of regulars."​
Catholic Encyclopedia

Article 1. Whether every priest can excommunicate?

Objection 1. It would seem that every priest can excommunicate. For excommunication is an act of the keys. But every priest has the keys. Therefore every priest can excommunicate.

Objection 2. Further, it is a greater thing to loose and bind in the tribunal of penance than in the tribunal of judgment. But every priest can loose and bind his subjects in the tribunal of Penance. Therefore every priest can excommunicate his subjects.

Priests alone are competent to dispense the sacraments wherein grace is given: wherefore they alone can loose and bind in the tribunal of Penance. On the other hand excommunication regards grace, not directly but consequently, in so far as it deprives a man of the Church's prayers, by which he is disposed for grace or preserved therein. Consequently even those who are not priests, provided they have jurisdiction in a contentious court, can excommunicate.

SUMMA THEOLOGICA: Those who can excommunicate or be excommunicated (Supplementum, Q. 22)

Last edited:
I would very much like to hear from some of those on the forum who usually sound like they are against abortion in any circumstance.

Would they expect a 9-year-old to carry twins to term?

The doctor made the choice for the health and well being of the nine year victim of incest. It was the right call.

According to the doctors the girl would have died. No way around that.

No, that is not what they said. They said she could die, not that she would. Most of us are all in agreement here that this was a bad decision by the church so why do you continue to feel the need to lie about what the doctors said? Even if there were a large disagreement, why would you lie about it?

Forum List

Back