9/11 suspect: 'I wish to be martyred'

Manuel

Jan 7, 2008
Sydney
GUANTANAMO BAY, Cuba (CNN) -- Two al Qaeda figures accused in the September 11 attacks told a U.S. military judge Thursday that they want to die as martyrs.

"If I'm killed, I will be killed for the sake of God," said Ramzi bin al-Shibh, who is accused of helping coordinate the attacks. "I've been seeking to be a martyr for years."

Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who claims to be the mastermind behind the attacks, said he wished to dismiss his lawyers and plead guilty.

The judge, Marine Col. Ralph Kohlmann, asked Mohammed numerous times whether he understood that he faces the death penalty. Mohammed told Kohlmann he could not accept any attorney because he believes only in Sharia, or Islamic law.

"That is what I wish. I wish to be martyred," he said.

The two men made the statements at their long-awaited arraignments at the U.S. military prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Mohammed, al-Shibh and three co-defendants, all al Qaeda suspects, were arraigned on numerous charges for their alleged roles in the September 11 terrorist attacks, which killed nearly 3,000 people.

It is the first time that reporters have been able to see the accused al Qaeda operatives, who were all in the same room for the first time since their arrests in 2002 and 2003. Watch how the defendants surprised the judge »

The defendants were seated at separate tables. None stood when Kohlmann entered. They spoke freely among themselves throughout the proceeding, and Mohammed appeared to be instructing the others.

Al-Shibh, the only defendant in leg shackles, entered the courtroom with a defiant swagger, laughing at media members who were straining to get a look at him.

In addition to Mohammed and bin al-Shibh, the defendants are Walid bin Attash, who is said to have helped train the hijackers; and Mustafa al Hawsawi and Ali Abdul Aziz Ali, both of whom are accused of arranging financing for the plot.

Attash also told the judge he wanted to dismiss his legal team and represent himself.

Wearing a prison outfit and a foot-long gray beard, Mohammed appeared much thinner than when he was captured five years ago.
When he was addressed by Kohlmann, he started singing a prayer in Arabic and then repeated it in English.

The judge stopped him, saying, "I understand you have been held here for a long time and have some things to say."

Mohammed asked to continue what he was saying, noting that he understood he could not talk about torture or the Quran. Kohlmann allowed it, and Mohammed started to talk about wishing to represent himself.

Mohammed's lawyer interjected, saying his client did not understand the importance of the arraignment, and the judge explained to Mohammed that it would not be a good idea to represent himself.

Kohlmann announced at the start of the session that at least part of the detainees' statements would be classified and the judge would block out audio.

The defendants have been in U.S. government custody since 2002 and 2003, and they were transferred to the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay in September 2006. The charges against them include murder in violation of the law of war, various terrorism counts and intentionally causing bodily injury. Learn more about the suspects »

In a written statement read at a March 2007 hearing, at which he was present, Mohammed said he was responsible for the attacks "from A to Z."

Thursday's proceedings follow years of struggles by the Bush administration to craft a process for bringing the detainees to trial, and officials involved in the military commissions know that the eyes of the world will be on them. Learn how the tribunal will work »

Critics have called Guantanamo Bay a legal "black hole" for detainees who the United States says are not protected as prisoners of war under the Geneva Conventions.

The process has been roundly criticized by defense lawyers, who are fighting to keep hearsay statements and evidence obtained through coercive interrogation techniques from being used against their clients. For example, the U.S. government has admitted to using the simulated drowning technique known as waterboarding, long considered a form of torture, on Mohammed.

The American Civil Liberties Union, which has been monitoring the cases, said the verdicts won't be considered legitimate without constitutional guarantees for the accused.

"No matter who is representing these defendants, many of whom have been abused and tortured, there needs to be a process in place that adheres to the values of due process and the rule of law that are the foundations of American justice -- and this isn't it," Anthony Romero, the ACLU's executive director, said in a written statement.

Defense attorneys had asked for Thursday's proceedings to be delayed, arguing that they have not had enough time with their clients since the charges were announced in May.

Army Maj. Jon Jackson, al Hawsawi's lawyer, said that it's a good thing the cases are finally moving forward but that defense attorneys should have more time to discuss the cases with their clients.

"We, the defense, should have been granted a reasonable delay in order to develop a relationship with these men, to talk with them about their case, to discuss strategies before we are rushed into the courtroom," Jackson said before heading to Guantanamo Bay.

Kohlmann denied the delay request.

The actual charges against the men were only sworn against them May 9. And although prosecutors are pushing for a September trial, officials familiar with the process expect long delays and much legal fighting. They say a trial is probably at least many months away.

Source: 9/11 suspect: 'I wish to be martyred' - CNN.com

I find myself incredibly conflicted about this. On one hand, they are admitted terrorists. On the other, they have been held since 2002 and under our laws really should be released for failure of speedy trial....

if of course we adhered to our own laws in the gulag.

But believe me... I am terribly conflicted.

I find myself incredibly conflicted about this. On one hand, they are admitted terrorists. On the other, they have been held since 2002 and under our laws really should be released for failure of speedy trial....

if of course we adhered to our own laws in the gulag.

But believe me... I am terribly conflicted.

Wishing to be martyred is admitted terrorism in my eyes, if the law allows, execute them, unless they need to be sectioned under the mental health act.?

i have no problem with them being martyred. my problem is why this trial wasn't held 6 years ago if they had admitted terrorists

So does the rest of the political world, real people couldn't give a fuck.

If they're actually guilty then they should suffer being torn apart in the public square and used as lining in a woman's outhouse somewhere. Getting peed on by women would keep them out of paradise.

Forum List

Back