8.9 Earthquake hits Japan, causes tsunami

This is the first wave of increased earthquake and volcano activity that we can expect for the next 2 weeks due to the March 19th Supermoon. On March 19th the moon will be the closest to the earth in 18 years and it will be a full moon to boot. According to scientists the increased pull is not enough to cause a sizable increase but do we really know everything about them? No. The earth is constantly in motion, the plates moving and the magma in the interior is fluid just like the tide. A small increase in pressure can can do things these scientists do not realize. This Earthquake does not portend a quite 2 weeks but an active period for earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.

So beware!!!

This is the first wave of increased earthquake and volcano activity that we can expect for the next 2 weeks due to the March 19th Supermoon. On March 19th the moon will be the closest to the earth in 18 years and it will be a full moon to boot. According to scientists the increased pull is not enough to cause a sizable increase but do we really know everything about them? No. The earth is constantly in motion, the plates moving and the magma in the interior is fluid just like the tide. A small increase in pressure can can do things these scientists do not realize. This Earthquake does not portend a quite 2 weeks but an active period for earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.

So beware!!!

Did supermoon spark quake? ‘Extreme supermoon’ said to set Earth up for weather chaos | The Sun |News

March 19th?... That's the Wife and I's dating anniversary...

:)

peace...

Looks like the tsunami i Hawaii will amount to a few higher than usuall waves with little to no damage.

Unfortunately there are 200-300 deaths being reported in Japan now.
Probably a lot more. That was just horrible, watching that tsunami roll in toward people that didn't seem to know it was coming.

Tens of thousands of stranded people roamed the streets of Tokyo or holed up in offices and train stations as the capital's usual bustling traffic came to a standstill Friday after the biggest earthquake in modern Japanese history struck.

The magnitude-8.9 temblor off Japan's northeastern coast shook buildings in the capital, left millions of homes across Japan without electricity, shut down the mobile phone network and severely disrupted landline telephone service. It brought train system to a halt, paralyzing the daily commuter flow of more than 10 million people.

Akira Tanaka, 54, a restaurant worker, was among those who just gave up and decided to walk home -- to suburban Saitama, 12 miles (20 kilometers) north of Tokyo, an endeavor he has never tackled before.

"I've been walking an hour and 10 minutes, still have about three hours to go," he said. "This is the kind of earthquake that hits once every 100 years."

Phone lines were crammed, preventing some calls and messaging from getting through. Calls to northeastern Japan, where a 23-foot (7-meter) tsunami washed ashore after the quake, often failed to go through, with a recording saying the area's lines were busy.

Unable to rely on their mobile phones, lines of people formed at the normally vacant public phone booths dotting the city.

Thousands roam Tokyo streets, stations after quake - Yahoo! Finance

Tsunami from Japan quake hits Hawaii
March 12, 2011 - 1:29AM

AFP

The first waves to hit Hawaii from a tsunami triggered by a massive earthquake off Japan have washed up onshore at Waikiki, with no initial reports of any damage.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre reported wave changes at Waianae Harbour around 3.24am on Friday (0024 AEDT Saturday), shortly before the relatively small waves were seen at Waikiki.

The Tsunami Warning Centre in Palmer, Alaska, placed Hawaii and parts of the US West Coast under a warning following Japan's magnitude 8.9 earthquake, urging residents to stay tuned for more information on rising waves.
Advertisement: Story continues below

"It's not going to be a major damaging event," said Gerard Fryer with the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre as the surge began to hit, although he added there might be scattered damage.

Waves were measured at 48cm at Nawiliwili on the island of Kauai, according to officials at an emergency centre in Honolulu.

The warnings also affected coastal areas through Central and South America as well as the western rim of the Pacific.

US President Barack Obama said he was monitoring the tsunami threat to his home state of Hawaii and the US West Coast after expressing condolences to those killed in the earthquake and offering to aid Japan.

Tsunami from Japan quake hits Hawaii

Looks like the tsunami i Hawaii will amount to a few higher than usuall waves with little to no damage.

Unfortunately there are 200-300 deaths being reported in Japan now.
Probably a lot more. That was just horrible, watching that tsunami roll in toward people that didn't seem to know it was coming.

I was watching that too... very scary indeed.

Hope the death toll is less than we think it will be.

We live on a unstable planet at the edge of our galaxy surrounded by the extremes of freezing darkness to boiling sunlight while being constantly pummeled by Solar and cosmic radiation and meteorites and yet we still try to kill each other every chance we get. How have we survived this long?

We live on a unstable planet at the edge of our galaxy surrounded by the extremes of freezing darkness to boiling sunlight while being constantly pummeled by Solar and cosmic radiation and meteorites and yet we still try to kill each other every chance we get. How have we survived this long?

Lucky.......

I don't know if it's been shown in the US, but in the UK, they just showed the Tsunami hitting a town.... literally just took the whole town away.... horrifying to watch. Building after building just swept away. The town is gone.

There's a cruise ship and a train full of people missing also.

The casualties from this are likely to be really bad.

check this out
Widespread destruction from Japan earthquake, tsunamis - CNN.com

I saw a headline that said "Dam bursts in Fukushima Prefecture" and that dozens of homes were flooded but no followup story yet.

Every major earthquake region in the world has reported an 8.4 or above earthquake since 2004 except the region between AK and N. CA.. Major earthquakes occur in clusters of a few years. They are so powerful that the entire crust of the earth vibrates. In the 64 quake in AK, boats in Louisianna sank due to related turbulence and water sloshed in wells in Africa.

We are currently in the midst of the most intense major earthquake cluster in recorded history. More may follow. Probably will.

No sign or word of any big waves so may as well put the surfboard away...

Just kidding about the surfboard but no reports of extremes in tides for the local beaches here.

They have evacuated whole sea side towns up in N CA. Local waves of 7.9 feet expected with reports of 3 foot waves in river channels a mile inland. They say the offshore equipment has determined the 4th wave is the biggest and it should be arriving any minute.

Fortunately the tide is low saving 40,000 people from losing their homes.

CRESCENT CITY, Calif.—A tsunami triggered by the massive earthquake in Japan rushed onto California's coast Friday, causing powerful surges that destroyed boat docks as beach-area residents throughout the state evacuated to higher ground.

The tide began rising shortly after 7:30 a.m. along beaches in Crescent City, near the Oregon border, where the tsunami had been expected to hit the hardest in California. Officials predicted that waves could reach as high as 7 feet there.

Local officials activated tsunami warning sirens in Del Norte and Humboldt counties at dawn, and sheriff's deputies went door to door in Crescent City at dawn to urge residents in low-lying areas to seek higher ground.

By midmorning, water rushing into the harbor had destroyed about 35 boats and ripped chunks off the wooden docks, as marina workers and fishermen scrambled to secure property in between surges. When the water returned, someone would yell "Here comes another one!" to clear the area.

"The last surge filled the entire harbor up to the brim and the next one is expected to spill into the parking lot," said Bill Steven, a commander with the Del Norte County Sheriff's Office. "The damage from this is probably going to go into the millions, easily."

Ted Scott, a retired mill worker who lived in Crescent City when a 1964 tsunami killed 17 people on the West Coast, including 11 in his town, watched the water pour into the harbor.

"This is just devastating. I
Advertisement
never thought I'd see this again," Scott said. "I watched the docks bust apart. It buckled like a graham cracker."

The waves, however, had not made it over a 20-foot break wall protecting the rest of the city, and no serious injuries or home damage was immediately reported.

The tsunami also caused significant boat damage on California's central coast in Santa Cruz, where loose fishing boats crashed into one another and chunks of wooden docks also broke off. The water rushed out as quickly as it poured in, leaving the boats tipped over in mud.

"I'm worried about the damage, not just to the boat but to the whole harbor infrastructure," said Dave Emberson, an engineer and local harbor official in Santa Cruz.

The swells also knocked loose some boats and damaged the dock in nearby San Luis Obispo County's Morro Bay.

The tsunami warning prompted voluntary evacuation orders in low-lying coastal areas throughout the state. Local officials also closed schools and coastal roads as a precaution.
Crescent City docks severely damaged by tsunami - San Jose Mercury News

Thank God the tide was low, at least three whole towns, home to 60,000 would have been flooded or even leveled if this had happened at high tide.

Arcata CA actually has a whole section of town below sea level protected only by levies.

Looks like CALI is bracing for a tsunami impact, but I doubt it will be too bad.
:eusa_pray:
I took a drive down the hill to the colony area at around 8:30. Those homes are right on the water. You could see the swell approach but it was minor. I'm guessing a 2-4 ft. rise. The beach area is still closed.

Luckily, unlike Nor Cal and So Oregon, this area has a deep water shelf. Most of the wave just disipated as it rolled in.

Forum List

Back