70 Percent of Young Americans Are Unfit for Military Duty

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
WASHINGTON (Nov. 3) -- Are America's youth too fat, dumb or dishonest to defend the nation against its enemies?

The latest Army statistics show a stunning 70 percent of military-age youth are ineligible to join the military because they are overweight, can't pass entrance exams, have dropped out of high school or had run-ins with the law.

So many young people between the prime recruiting ages of 17 and 24 cannot meet minimum standards that a group of retired military leaders is calling for more investment in early childhood education to combat the insidious effects of junk food and inadequate education.

"We've never had this problem of young people being obese like we have today," said Shalikashvili, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

He calls the rising number of youth unfit for duty a matter of national security. "We should be concerned about how this will impact this overstretched Army and its ability to recruit."

Douglas Smith of the U.S. Army Recruiting Command said 2008 data shows about three in 10 youths have an initial "barrier to enlistment."

Most aren't insurmountable. "If you're overweight, we tell you to come back when you've lost the weight. If you don't score well on the armed forces aptitude test, we suggest you study and take it again," he said.

Between 2004 and 2008, the Army more than doubled the number of "conduct" waivers it granted to would-be soldiers with criminal or misdemeanor records. The loosened standards proved necessary in a time of war and amid a booming economy that forced military recruiters to work overtime to fill the ranks.

Top Headlines, U.S., World, Politics, Entertainment and Sports News - AOL News

Last edited:
Joining the Military:

The best "Get in Shape" Program out there.

Forget Fat Camps and Spas, I bet basic training would get any lazy fat ass in shape.

Maybe they can have night classes so they can get their GED's too.

i just read this on AOL. it is stunning. but the military was susposed to trim down fatso and beef up mr skinny. hmmm

the criminal record will keep you out. even back in the Nam war.

When I grew up.

Kids rode bicycles all over the place.

We went to the park everyday and played base ball, football, or threw rocks into the water.

Kids were all over the place having fun.

Last summer, I went back to visit the neighborhood where I grew up.

I saw no kids in the park. The ball field was empty. In fact, I didn't see any kids anywhere.

They are all inside their air conditioned houses.

Staying up till 4am in their bedroom playing video games and sleeping till noon.

When I grew up.

We went to the park everyday and played base ball, football, or threw rocks into the water.

I saw no kids in the park. The ball field was empty. In fact, I didn't see any kids anywhere.

Staying up till 4am in their bedroom playing video games and sleeping till noon.

I put this on another post here. hope you don't mind

Way back in 1969 when I joined the Navy, I lost 34 pounds in boot camp. I agree with Echo Zulu. The military can, and will, be more than glad to help you loose weight when you go to boot camp. At least they did when I joined. I do know they are a bit more picky these days. I can understand not allowing somebody to join up if they have a criminal past or if they can't pass the enterance exams but for being a few pounds overweight I think is pushing it a little too far.

I joined the USN in 66. no time for me to fatten up. I worked/lived on a central Missouri farm bailing hay in the summer. and I weighted only 125 when i went in. but i came out of BC around 135. and we had some fatso's in my company that were trimmed down in a hurry !!!

When I grew up.

What should they be doing? Kissing their carpets 5 times a day like you do?

I think we should lower the bar for fat. There is no doubt in my mind that Basic Training will take the fat off.

I was just the opposite when I entered basic in 71 I was 117lbs. when I left basic I was 142.

Basic works both ways.

We just had a conversation about this at school. I am hardly an athlete but I can out- bike and out - bootcamp most girls half my age. My friend has a party business and hires our high school students to put up tents and whatnot and she says they can't even lift boxes that she can, It's pathetic.

And don't even get me started on how dumb they are. Many College prep kids can't even tell time. Imagine military time? OMG!

Last edited:
We just had a converation about thi at achool. I am hardly an athlete but I can out- bike and out - bootcamp most girls half my age. My friend has a party business and hires our high school students to put up tents and whatnot and she says they can't even lift boxes that she can, It's pathetic.

Abd don't even get me started on how dumb they are. Many Ccllege prep kids can't even tell time. Imagine military time? OMG!

Oh how I wish you would have been my teacher in high school! :lol:

We just had a converation about thi at achool. I am hardly an athlete but I can out- bike and out - bootcamp most girls half my age. My friend has a party business and hires our high school students to put up tents and whatnot and she says they can't even lift boxes that she can, It's pathetic.

Abd don't even get me started on how dumb they are. Many Ccllege prep kids can't even tell time. Imagine military time? OMG!
we had to use military time when I passed meds, I spent half the time trying to figure out what time it really was.:lol:

over the last year I thought about joining the national guard, the best for me would be the fact I would get back to what I was in high school. :)

I dont know how they do it now but when I joined up in 83 they had certain weight standards that did not really take into account body frame size or muscle mass(I have a large body type, played varsity hockey in high school so I wasnt that fat), I left for Parris Island at 5'8"(I was a smidgen below 5'9" so they rounded down) and 200 pounds, 1 more pound and they would not have sent me, I graduated recruit training weighing 180, 1 more pound and i would have been over the limit. Todays kids just seem bigger(and not just in the fat category)

I'm 75 inches tall, and 210 lbs, just under the active Army's limit of 212 lbs.
I'm about to graduate college.
I passed the National Fitness Test back in high school.

That means I'm in the 30% fit for service...and also might explain why I keep getting contaced by OCS recruiters.

Hmm...

When I was a kid I used to love running naked through public parks.

I would still do it but the penalities are too high for adults.

When I grew up.

I agree

When I was a kid, I would ride my bike a mile to get to a tiny field where we played baseball and football. We were there every day in the summer and fall. In the winter and spring we played hockey and basketball. Just pickup games, no parents, no rules

I live next to a large baseball, football, soccer field now. I never see kids on it unless parents are there making them play.

Kids today would rather play video football or baseball than the real thing

Forum List

Back