65 days of night: Alaska town won’t see the sun until January

johngaltshrugged

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2020
There is a town on the northern coast & above the Arctic Circle called Utqiaġvik, formerly known as Barrow.
The sunset last night was the last time they will see the sun until Jan 23 of next year.
During the summer, this town will have months of daylight, known as the Midnight Sun.
Is is a very dark & cold winter when you live that far north.

I lived in Alaska for over 17 years. I went to HS there, married my wife, had our kids & bought my first house there.
After we moved there when I was a kid, we had to block the sunlight from all the windows so we could sleep in the winter when it was still fairly light at 2 AM.
It was good for summer time parties & the outdoors are just spectacular but the winters could be pretty tough if you didn't stay busy.
Cabin fever is a real thing & you'd be amazed at how many people just simply disappear up there.

The sun will set for a final time this year in America's northernmost town, Utqiaġvik, Alaska.

Utqiaġvik is home to around 4,500 people, and the majority of residents are Iñupiat Alaskan Natives.

On Friday, the polar night began for the town formerly known as Barrow.

The next time the sun will rise will be on Jan. 23, 2023. Sunrise happens at 1:03 p.m., but it won't be up for long, as it sets again just over an later, according to timeanddate.com.

There is a town on the northern coast & above the Arctic Circle called Utqiaġvik, formerly known as Barrow.
The sunset last night was the last time they will see the sun until Jan 23 of next year.
During the summer, this town will have months of daylight, known as the Midnight Sun.
Is is a very dark & cold winter when you live that far north.

I lived in Alaska for over 17 years. I went to HS there, married my wife, had our kids & bought my first house there.
After we moved there when I was a kid, we had to block the sunlight from all the windows so we could sleep in the winter when it was still fairly light at 2 AM.
It was good for summer time parties & the outdoors are just spectacular but the winters could be pretty tough if you didn't stay busy.
Cabin fever is a real thing & you'd be amazed at how many people just simply disappear up there.

The sun will set for a final time this year in America's northernmost town, Utqiaġvik, Alaska.

Utqiaġvik is home to around 4,500 people, and the majority of residents are Iñupiat Alaskan Natives.

On Friday, the polar night began for the town formerly known as Barrow.

The next time the sun will rise will be on Jan. 23, 2023. Sunrise happens at 1:03 p.m., but it won't be up for long, as it sets again just over an later, according to timeanddate.com.

Vampires thrive up there! :)

Vampires thrive up there! :)
I saw a documentary on that.
Did you know Josh Hartnett is the sheriff there?
I wondered what happened to him

1669045717127.png

Thanks. I saw an article about this a day or two ago and went to Google Maps to find Utqiaġvik and wondered what happened to Barrow? Have been meaning to look that up so I appreciate the info about the name change. My brother got his masters in Fairbanks back in the 70's and after getting his doctorate returned to Alaska to teach at a university in Anchorage.

l was born and raised in Alaska, been all over up there. The summers are great, the winters are hell. Parts of Alaska are breath taking other parts in the winter take your breath away, literally.

It's all about adapting. Humans can easily adapt to that. It takes mental fortitude. The older I get the more I enjoy the winter season. I could never live where it's sunny year around. That would drive one crazy.

I see Barrow got bit by the SJW bug to change it's name to something unpronounceable.

It's all about adapting. Humans can easily adapt to that. It takes mental fortitude. The older I get the more I enjoy the winter season. I could never live where it's sunny year around. That would drive one crazy.
I’m the opposite I want warm, sunny and dry. The snow and ice and cold is getting overwhelming, especially when driving.

Forum List

Back