$637 Fine for Cursing in Class

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
It’s not just a trip to the principal’s office anymore.

North Mesquite High School senior Victoria Mullins is taking on a waitressing job to pay $637 in fines and other charges after being ticketed for disorderly conduct/abusive language in class.

According to court records, shortly before 10 a.m. on Oct. 6, teacher Michelle Lene heard Mullins say “you trying to start [expletive]!” loudly inside the classroom.

The original fine was $340. Mullins pleaded not guilty Oct. 21. She said she tried to submit audiotapes made later from the classroom to show she was being singled out, but the tapes were deemed inadmissible.

Mullins finished the one-semester speech class but didn’t show for her Nov. 18 court hearing.

“I didn’t really know what to do. I didn’t have the money to pay for it,” she said.

The failure to show was cause for a $100 penalty. The city tacked on another $50 when it issued a warrant for Mullins’ arrest Jan. 21 and then a $147 collection fee.

School district spokesman Ian Halperin said the incident should be a reminder to parents.

Mesquite student faces $637 in fines, penalties for swearing in class | Dallas-Fort Worth Communities - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Effective deterrent?

“The principal gave me a lunch detention and told me to watch my mouth,” Mullins said.
Meanwhile, the school resource officer was contacted. When Mullins got to her next class, the officer presented the 17-year-old student with the ticket.
The complaint says Lene was offended, and that by its utterance, the language incited a breach of the peace.
Mullins claims what she said wasn’t loud enough to be heard by the entire class and doesn’t know why the teacher was offended. Lene was not available for comment.
The original fine was $340. Mullins pleaded not guilty Oct. 21. She said she tried to submit audiotapes made later from the classroom to show she was being singled out, but the tapes were deemed inadmissible. Mesquite student faces $637 in fines, penalties for swearing in class | Dallas-Fort Worth Communities - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

It should be thrown out of Court. The Officer should be reassigned to something more fitting his potential, like cleaning and guarding horse stables. ;) What Horse Shit.

It’s not just a trip to the principal’s office anymore.

North Mesquite High School senior Victoria Mullins is taking on a waitressing job to pay $637 in fines and other charges after being ticketed for disorderly conduct/abusive language in class.

According to court records, shortly before 10 a.m. on Oct. 6, teacher Michelle Lene heard Mullins say “you trying to start [expletive]!” loudly inside the classroom.

The original fine was $340. Mullins pleaded not guilty Oct. 21. She said she tried to submit audiotapes made later from the classroom to show she was being singled out, but the tapes were deemed inadmissible.

Mullins finished the one-semester speech class but didn’t show for her Nov. 18 court hearing.

“I didn’t really know what to do. I didn’t have the money to pay for it,” she said.

The failure to show was cause for a $100 penalty. The city tacked on another $50 when it issued a warrant for Mullins’ arrest Jan. 21 and then a $147 collection fee.

School district spokesman Ian Halperin said the incident should be a reminder to parents.

Mesquite student faces $637 in fines, penalties for swearing in class | Dallas-Fort Worth Communities - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Effective deterrent?

Ridiculous.

I would have told the resource officer to go fuck themselves.

So let me get this straight.

The fucking idiot teacher called the cops because a teen swore in class?

How else would there be a charge of disorderly conduct and a court appearance?
If I was the cop responding to that I'd tell the teacher to fuck off.

I don't see the harm in having the students being responsible for their mouth or their actions in school. And the parents are making them get a job to pay it off. Responsibility down the line. A good way to teach respect for authority.

I can see video cameras in every classroom as standard practice now. Good for getting bad teachers out and viewing them for student's behavior. Ticket them for improper behavior! May cost some money, but useful.

If Mullims as a is offended by one of her students uttering a (profane) word than I suggest she find another line of work. As a school official you punish the student who comitted the offense (as the principal did and let it go. What the principal did should have ended the incident.

I don't see the harm in having the students being responsible for their mouth or their actions in school. And the parents are making them get a job to pay it off. Responsibility down the line. A good way to teach respect for authority.

I can see video cameras in every classroom as standard practice now. Good for getting bad teachers out and viewing them for student's behavior. Ticket them for improper behavior! May cost some money, but useful.

Sorry, but monetary fines for a kid swearing in class is outrageous.

He was assigned to the School?

If Mullims as a is offended by one of her students uttering a (profane) word than I suggest she find another line of work. As a school official you punish the student who comitted the offense (as the principal did and let it go. What the principal did should have ended the incident.

Where are you coming from? Profanity is never okay in schools. Schools are a place where students learn to respect authority. They are there for learning and behaving in a business manner. They are not outside with their friends just jawing off. Their is appropriate behaviour in certain settings and appropriate behavior in less strict situations where authorities are not present.

The last time I checked swearing was not a criminal offense.

At least they didn't hand-cuff and finger-print her. ;) Barney Fife.

barney-fife.jpg

Most schools have a code of behavior and school suspensions don't work. I think this is a good idea. It gets the parents attention.

Most schools have a code of behavior and school suspensions don't work. I think this is a good idea. It gets the parents attention.

It's bullshit. When detentions don't work, you give them in-schools.

When those fail you move on to suspensions.

After that?

C-ya!

If the kid hasn't learned by then they never will and there is no need for money to exchange hands to figure this out.

Seems over the top.

But this is what happens after years w/o the paddle.

Detenions, suspensions, letters to home, etc, etc. Have clearly failed so now this school has moved on to hitting them in the pocket book.

Oh well, ya gotta do what ya gotta do, when you are not allowed to do what you know works.

It's bullshit. When detentions don't work, you give them in-schools.

When those fail you move on to suspensions.

After that?

C-ya!

If the kid hasn't learned by then they never will and there is no need for money to exchange hands to figure this out.

Expelled kids can go to another school and just start over.

I like the idea of getting a job to pay for their tickets. Be a waitress and tell the customers, F you! See how fast they pay off their fines. Maybe they will learn the places they have to be polite.

Forum List

Back