600+ Schools Closed Because of Swine Flu

In 1918, we had a pandemic with a virus very similiar to this one. It killed thousands of people in this nation. So, with that experiance, we are just to wait until half the population is infected, and see how many die, before we move on it?

In many ways this is the stupidest thread I have yet seen.

Polio
a severe, debilitating form called paralytic polio (this occurs in 0.1% to 2% of cases)

In 1952 there were 60,000 known cases of polio. 3000 children died. Many thousands more had permenent disabilities because of polio. Yet this occurs in only 0.1% to 2% of the cases, so why bother with vacines when your chances are that good?

But, thank God, we did bother with vaccines, and in only 6 years after vaccinations started in 1955, there were only 161 cases of polio in the US. By 1979, there were no cases of 'wild' polio.

Given the history of the predessor of the Swine Flu virus, not to have put out a national effort at vaccination would have been criminal.

C'mon--look at the upside----less people creating carbon footprints and less people needing healthcare.

So ... less than .0000001% of the population getting sick is now cause for fear.

Amazing innit!!!

The Brits are already downgrading the whole affair - but I think we will see a bit more hype and fear being sent out across the airwaves so as to paint a little better picture of the feds just now getting the vaccines out in the numbers they had initially promised would be arriving weeks ago.

In the meantime, the flu is winding down - a few more weeks and that will be confirmed.

Word.

That's what gets me, this pattern of hype is not new, they have done it many times yet people still don't see it. MRSA is more of a threat but you don't hear about that much ... chicken pocks is also a huge threat all the time, but again no one focuses on that either ... because there is simply no way for the government to justify increasing taxes and wasting more money with them.

Kids are immunized for chicken pox these days, dear.

MRSA is not a bigger threat. Though it is definitely something worthy of concern.

I'm not someone who panics over imagined health threats. As I've said ad nauseum, I've worked in very close quarters with Aids/HIV/Hep ppl and their kids, who carried every bug known to man (including worms. Not necessarily deadly but still gross). I don't panic over that stuff.

But flu is potentially deadly to kids ANYWAY and this one is killing more than usual. I'm always hypervigilant about flu when I've got little kids, always have been. It's from having a nurse for a mom, and living out in the sticks. Kids can go downhill so quickly.

Right now, if you have the flu, it is probably the Swine Flu. And the usual modus operendi of this bug in fatal cases is a rapid filling of the lungs with fluid.

WikiAnswers - How does swine flu kill you

The novel swine flu attacks the lungs and respiratory system. The most common cause of death from this lung involvement is viral pneumonia (the lungs fill with fluids, but not blood as suggested in some rumors) with resulting Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS). Rough estimates are that 50% of those who end up with ARDS, even though treated in a hospital ICU, will die. A second cause of death is secondary bacterial pneumonia, a third cause is a severe worsening of underlying medical conditions, like heart conditions, chronic lung conditions, asthma, diabetes, pregnancy, etc.

Some of the secondary critical conditions from each of these causes seen in swine flu, or any flu, are dehydration and electrolyte imbalances (changes in the blood chemistry); sepsis; and toxic shock syndrome, making treatment and recovery even more difficult.

Early in the Swine Flu 2009 epidemic is was considered if cytokine storm could be the explanation for the younger age group of those who have died from swine flu. A cytokine storm is an over reaction of the immune system to an invading infection which makes the immune system go haywire and cause more harm than good in the response to the infection. Sometimes this can be a flooding of the lungs to try to remove the virus that results in pneumonia. However, this has not been proven to be the case with swine flu, it is now believed that it actually attacks the tissue of the aveoli of the lungs directly contribuing to the ARDS and respiratory failure. More studies are on going.

Watching a child die of a preventable illness has to be the worse thing that can happen to a caring parent.

Children today have many wonderful advantages in that the vaccinations they get almost from birth on, protect them against many childhood illnesses that later cause other problems, such as scarlet fever. And, yes, chicken pox is one of the vaccinations.

In 1918, we had a pandemic with a virus very similiar to this one. It killed thousands of people in this nation. So, with that experiance, we are just to wait until half the population is infected, and see how many die, before we move on it?

Polio
a severe, debilitating form called paralytic polio (this occurs in 0.1% to 2% of cases)

In 1952 there were 60,000 known cases of polio. 3000 children died. Many thousands more had permenent disabilities because of polio. Yet this occurs in only 0.1% to 2% of the cases, so why bother with vacines when your chances are that good?

But, thank God, we did bother with vaccines, and in only 6 years after vaccinations started in 1955, there were only 161 cases of polio in the US. By 1979, there were no cases of 'wild' polio.

Given the history of the predessor of the Swine Flu virus, not to have put out a national effort at vaccination would have been criminal.

Stuck in the past much? 1918 medicine != 2009 medicine ...

Well if it keeps kids from getting sick, what can it hurt. It's not like they're LEARNING anything in there anyway.

I'm not against the flu virus - that is a family's decision.

I just don't care for all the hype and fear mongering surrounding all of this.

SARS, Bird Flu, Hunta virus, Swine Flu - I sincerely worry that when something legit and dangerous does come at us we are going to be so desensitized from all of these semi-hoaxes, that such an event will then do far greater harm.

Polio

Stuck in the past much? 1918 medicine != 2009 medicine ...

Equating polio to the swine flu is akin to a baby kitten to a full grown tiger. Sure, the kitten can scratch you, and that scratch could be infected, and you could die from that infection....

Good Lord Old Rocks - sometimes you just go off into Never-Never-Land, which would be fine if you were simply attempting to entertain - but you are actually trying to make a serious point!

That's a bit depressing...

It's really sad how hysterical people are getting....Your child gets the flu and if he/she is healthy, they actually boost their immune system by fighting it off...
that crap in those shots that they have produced so quickly is TOXIC....

It's really sad how hysterical people are getting....Your child gets the flu and if he/she is healthy, they actually boost their immune system by fighting it off...

I don't know enough about the toxic claims - seems (maybe) folks on the no-vaccine side are getting just as hysterical as the "swine flu is a national emergency" folks. But in the end it's a family's decision - so to each their own on that.

I would just like to see the choice being made to vaccinate based upon sound reasoning - not outright fear produced by drama-plagued hysteria surrounding what is for the vast majority of the population, a mild version of the flu...

The low rates of actual flu virus are astounding! Lots of people running to the hospital - but the vast majority don't even have the H1N1 virus!!!!

The recent CBS Investigative Report, published on October 21, is one example. After the CDC refused to honor CBS’s Freedom of Information request to receive flu infection data for each individual state, the network performed independent outreach to all fifty states to get their statistics. Their report contradicts dramatically the CDC’s public relations blitz. For example, in California, among the approximate 13,000 flu-like cases, 86 percent tested negative for any flu strain. In Florida, out of 8,853 cases, 83 percent were negative. In Georgia and Alaska, only 2.4 percent and 1 percent respectively tested positive for flu virus among all reported flu-like cases. If the infectious-rate ratios obtained by CBS are accurate, the CDC’s figures are significantly reduced and agree with earlier predictions that the H1N1 virus will be simply an unwelcomed annoyance. So we are in the midst of an enormous medical hoax, a design and purpose that has yet to unfold completely, that will nevertheless reap huge revenues for the vaccine industrial complex.

Another example is a recent alarmist report issuing from Georgetown University, also usurped by federal health officials and their multimedia comrades to fuel a campaign of fear and panic. The report announced that over 250 students were infected by swine flu when in fact none of these students were tested for H1N1 infection. The university’s figure was based solely on a count of student visits to the health clinic and calls into an H1N1 hotline.

This is not the first time the CDC’s predictions for influenza strains have been overstated and miscalculated. In an interview on Swedish television, Dr. Tom Jefferson, head of vaccine studies at the prestigious international Cochrane Database Collaboration, after reviewing hundreds of influenza studies and statistical analyses, has said the WHO’s and CDC’s “performance is not very good.” And in an ITN News interview last month, Jefferson called the swine flu pandemic a “juggernaut they [the WHO, government agencies and vaccine makers] created.” For the 1992-1993 season, the prediction was off by 84 percent. For the 1994-1995 season, it was off 43 percent for the primary strain and off 87 percent and 76 percent for two other strains. The Laboratory Center for Disease Control’s study comparing vaccine strains with the strains appearing during the 1997-1998 season found the match was off by 84 percent. Again Dr. Jefferson in a Der Spiegel interview remarked,

“there are some people who make predictions year after year, and they get worse and worse. None of them so far have come about, and these people are still there making these predictions. For example, what happened with the bird flu, which was supposed to kill us all?.... Swine flu could have even stayed unnoticed if it had been caused by some unknown virus rather than an influenza virus… An influenza vaccine is not working for the majority of influenza-like illnesses because it is only designed to combat influenza viruses. For that reason, the vaccine changes nothing when it comes to the heightened mortality rate during the winter months.”

Obama Administration Launches Deceptive Swine Flu Propaganda Blitz

The recent CBS Investigative Report, published on October 21, is one example. After the CDC refused to honor CBS’s Freedom of Information request to receive flu infection data for each individual state, the network performed independent outreach to all fifty states to get their statistics. Their report contradicts dramatically the CDC’s public relations blitz. For example, in California, among the approximate 13,000 flu-like cases, 86 percent tested negative for any flu strain. In Florida, out of 8,853 cases, 83 percent were negative. In Georgia and Alaska, only 2.4 percent and 1 percent respectively tested positive for flu virus among all reported flu-like cases.

A negative flu swab does NOT rule out H1N1.

I don't know enough about the toxic claims - seems (maybe) folks on the no-vaccine side are getting just as hysterical as the "swine flu is a national emergency" folks. But in the end it's a family's decision - so to each their own on that.

I would just like to see the choice being made to vaccinate based upon sound reasoning - not outright fear produced by drama-plagued hysteria surrounding what is for the vast majority of the population, a mild version of the flu...

I'm on the no vaccine side, and I'm hardly hysterical:eek:...I just believe that this particular shot was produced rather quickly with little or no research on what possible side effects may occur...Now you have to remember some people are more sensitive to certain ingredients in these innoculations...My daughter had the flu last year, was in bed very sick for a week, and is a strong healthy child....I think it made her stronger...(my opinion)...
Also, some parents are at the Doctor when their kids stub their freakin toe??? While others let minor things run their course...
So, yes I agree it's a choice...but as with everything else everyone has an opinion

I sincerely worry that when something legit and dangerous does come at us we are going to be so desensitized from all of these semi-hoaxes, that such an event will then do far greater harm.
I have full faith that when "something legit and dangerous does come", you will be the first one exposing it as a "hoax" and convincing people to avoid the vaccine, as you have been for the past two weeks.

I have full faith that when "something legit and dangerous does come", you will be the first one exposing it as a "hoax" and convincing people to avoid the vaccine, as you have been for the past two weeks.

If Obama and his Administration supports it, you bet your ass he will be.

I'm sure Sinatra also thinks that Gravity doesn't exist since Obama thinks it does. :cuckoo:

I get sick of the hype also but my son has been sick for almost three weeks now, I thought he was better and then he has a fever again today. It scares the shit out of me too because of the weight he has lost.

Well if it keeps kids from getting sick, what can it hurt. It's not like they're LEARNING anything in there anyway.

I'm not against the flu virus - that is a family's decision.

I just don't care for all the hype and fear mongering surrounding all of this.

SARS, Bird Flu, Hunta virus, Swine Flu - I sincerely worry that when something legit and dangerous does come at us we are going to be so desensitized from all of these semi-hoaxes, that such an event will then do far greater harm.

See, I don't consider those "semi-hoaxes". Gone unchecked and without educating the public, they can be devastating.

What I resent is the fact that while on the one hand we're being told the swine flu is an epidemic, the CDC has decreed that unless a person goes to hospital, they don't need to be tested for it. So they will have no reliable stats about how dangerous it is.

Abortion is another one. There are no reliable statistics, because nobody in the abortion clinics is required to follow up, to pursue to truth, to even report accurately the numbers of late-term abortions or age of ppl who are aborting. In that way, they protect themselves from being PROSECUTED because of course as mandatory reporters, they should be reporting the underaged kids who are pregnant because it's illegal for underaged (I don't mean under 18, I mean under the age of consent in whatever state) kids to have sex.

In addition, they can puke out whatever stats they like, and everyone accepts it as gospel.

The truth is, this flu is killing kids in a population which usually isn't hit fataly by the flu. But we have no idea of the percentages, because nobody's testing them until they hit the hospitals.

Hell, in 1918 people use to die from simple infections all the time.

My dad's sister died in that flu pandemic. S'truth.

Ppl continue to die from the flu and simple infections. It's not hysteria to take precautions against it. We are not SUPERBEINGS. We don't die the way we used to because we have better treatment and...gasp...innoculations.

Forum List

Back