5 Years ago Today in Beslan

Very interesting article that traces back two alleged Beslan suicide-bomber sisters back to their native Chechnya while uncovering a lot of the geopolitical reality behind the Russo-Chechen 'conflict'. Worth reading.

Sisters in arms | World news | The Guardian

An excerpt from the article:

They stayed while the republic collapsed into its first war in 1994. That bloody bid for independence led to a peace deal with the Yeltsin administration in August 1996, but only after Grozny had been carpet-bombed and an estimated 73,000 Chechens and 5,700 Russian soldiers died.

News of the capital's devastation reached them via refugees and local TV. Asma describes how the girls in the family cried when they saw "our beautiful city" in ruins. "We could see with our own eyes what was happening. Of course, anyone gets angry when they see normal people being killed."

It was during the republic's brief spell of independence, before the second war in 1999, that Amnat first showed her business prowess. "Amnat was particularly good at knowing what would sell," says Asma. With the money she earned from selling basics like pasta, cooking oil, shampoo and washing powder, Amnat would buy the family clothes. Trade went well, until raids by Shamil Basayev into neighbouring Dagestan, and a series of blasts in Moscow, sparked the second war in September 1999.

Tevzani faced massive aerial bombardment by the Russian military, killing many civilians. Yet it was not until after Russia had retaken Chechnya that the Nagayev family experienced its first loss. The brutality of the second war was surpassed by years of zachistki, or "clean-up operations", as the Russian military rounded up men with separatist connections or merely those of fighting age, interrogating them, beating them, and often executing them. Memorial, the human rights group that documents abuses on only a third of the territory of Chechnya, estimates that since the second war ended in 2000, nearly 3,000 people have been abducted. Most are thought to be dead.

"Zachistki started in Tevzani in 2000," says Asma. "They would surround the village with trucks and armoured personnel carriers. You'd look out and see men combing the streets with AK47s. They went from house to house, taking gold, money, arms. They did not touch the women but took away the men."

i watched all of the video.

10 minutes!!!!!

it was horrible, shitty music, propaganda. putin's propaganda.

slimy english music and shifty subtitles, and you fall for it.

The fact is, that children were terrorized and murdered, that my friend is my only concern.

And that is the reason for my previous statement.

children and adults were terrorized and killed, and i did not need to watch a video to realize that. now this video you offered was a slimy disgusting propaganda piece, you are probably proud of yourself. you found a way to introduce a religious angle into that!

the last time i felt this kind of disgust was when "annie" posted the neda video repeatedly probably to make people realize how horrible it is in iran, "look into her eyes". i have to barf all over the place.

wow youre a real prick

The slaughter of the innocents. And for what? I cannot even remember why they said they did it. Must have been important huh?

So terrible, and so sad.
5 years already ? , the only thing that has changed is the USA is surrendering and the jihad continues .

damn straight. were in a war and obama squanders every dollar on bullshit and his healthcare scam as if there is no war.

The slaughter of the innocents. And for what? I cannot even remember why they said they did it. Must have been important huh?

So terrible, and so sad.
5 years already ? , the only thing that has changed is the USA is surrendering and the jihad continues .

damn straight. were in a war and obama squanders every dollar on bullshit and his healthcare scam as if there is no war.

You need to crawl out of that bomb shelter, man.

So terrible, and so sad.

What they did to those children and women after killing all the men is absolutely unmentionable evil. I hope those bastards who perpetrated that evil upon those poor people and especially the children, inhale fire foever.

There is a special place in hell for those kind, especially the rapists of those poor little girls

Forum List

Back