4 out of 5 of America's biggest companies paid $0 of Federal tax in 2009

Gee, I pay many taxes in other ways. Maybe I can apply for zero income taxes?

Love how the kneejerk dingbats automatically defend the companies that are srewing the American Citizen.

Great idea! Let's allow 4 out of the 5 biggest US companies to make no profits, that way they can go out of business, not provide us valuable services that we need and kill the jobs of 10s of thousands of workers!

Great idea!

But did you see some of the FOREIGN tax rates Exxon has had to pay...like 85% rate in some of those countries it said....

I HIGHLY DOUBT that exxon would go out of business having to pay a few pennies compared to other countries, in federal corporate income taxes in the US.

they did not just pay zero in income tax hook, they got billions in income tax credits ON TOP of that, which IS corporate welfare.

Great idea! Let's allow 4 out of the 5 biggest US companies to make no profits, that way they can go out of business, not provide us valuable services that we need and kill the jobs of 10s of thousands of workers!

????

So let me get this straight.

You think its the job of the taxpayer - that's you and I - to pay ExxonMobil money from our incomes, in order to ensure they profit?

Exxon also pays the Feds royalties for oil and gas leases - and the their gasoline product is the base upon which the Feds charge $.184 per gallon to consumers.

We don't have an undertaxed problem. We have an overspending problem

Here are some from the IRS site:

United States Income Tax Treaties - A to Z

And more at Treasury:

U.S. Treasury - Office of Tax Policy
I don't want a list of all the treaties. Just the one that says Exxon doesn't have to pay income taxes in the U.S.
I think her point is that if Exxon is producing oil in Nigeria, they legally have to pay taxes to Nigeria.

It would be unfair to make them pay twice -- Nigeria & the US.

If the US wants Exxon to do more business in the US, so it can get more taxes, it should make it reasonable possible for them to produce oil in the US. Otherwise, there is nothing to complain about.

I understand that it would be unfair to tax Exxon in the U.S. for business they do in Nigeria - but what about the business they do in the U.S.? I mean, clearly, they do business in the U.S. - look -->>

Exxon refinery Baton Rouge - Google Maps

So why aren't they paying any U.S. taxes?

????

You think its the job of the taxpayer - that's you and I - to pay ExxonMobil money from our incomes, in order to ensure they profit?
:cuckoo:

I am going to try and type slowly so perhaps even the liberals may get it.

Letting a business or person keep more of their own money is not giving them money:cuckoo:

I think her point is that if Exxon is producing oil in Nigeria, they legally have to pay taxes to Nigeria.

It would be unfair to make them pay twice -- Nigeria & the US.

If the US wants Exxon to do more business in the US, so it can get more taxes, it should make it reasonable possible for them to produce oil in the US. Otherwise, there is nothing to complain about.

I understand that it would be unfair to tax Exxon in the U.S. for business they do in Nigeria - but what about the business they do in the U.S.? I mean, clearly, they do business in the U.S. - look -->>

Exxon refinery Baton Rouge - Google Maps

So why aren't they paying any U.S. taxes?
They are. They paid $7.7 billion in US taxes.

????

Consumers PAY all taxes either directly or indirectly. The cost to companies is recovered via the prices they charge.

You are focused on punishing one company for the Bizarro World tax structure our government has evolved over decades of favor selling. The real answer is simplicity and lower taxes for everyone - not just adding more complexity to the current one to punish a company for applying the code in its current form.

of course they should PAY for leasing OUR land, it is NOT their property....though i heard many got out of paying for those leases with loopholes congress wrote in to the law FOR THEM....

Exxon also pays the Feds royalties for oil and gas leases - and the their gasoline product is the base upon which the Feds charge $.184 per gallon to consumers.

I also pay FICA tax in addition to my income tax, but for some reason that doesn't exempt me from income tax.

Why should the fact that Exxon has to pay to suck OUR OIL out of the ground be relevant? I've got to pay a buck if I wanna cross the bridge in my car, maybe that should exempt me from all other taxation.

Do the tobacco and alcohol companies also get to pay zero taxes since their products are the objects of separate taxation?

I also pay FICA tax in addition to my income tax, but for some reason that doesn't exempt me from income tax.

Why should the fact that Exxon has to pay to suck OUR OIL out of the ground be relevant? I've got to pay a buck if I wanna cross the bridge in my car, maybe that should exempt me from all other taxation.

Do the tobacco and alcohol companies also get to pay zero taxes since their products are the objects of separate taxation?
Once again, they paid $7.7 billion in US taxes last year.

Perhaps your outrage would be better aimed at the over and double taxation of individuals than in trying to make the tax code even more complicated for Exxon.

????

Letting a business or person keep more of their own money is not giving them money:cuckoo:

so Earned Income tax credits, given to those at the bottom tier, who pay absolutely no income tax, is NOT welfare, because these people pay OTHER taxes?

just a yes or no will suffice....to establish the hypocrisy or not. ;)

????

Did you not read the link or are you retarded? Exxon paid NEGATIVE INCOME TAX in 2009. The IRS GAVE THEM over 150 million dollars. How the fuck is that THEIR money?

What were the conditions of the tax credits that the Feds gave to Exxon?

????

so Earned Income tax credits, given to those at the bottom tier, who pay absolutely no income tax, is NOT welfare, because these people pay OTHER taxes?

Okay, yet again, Exxon paid $7.7 billion in US taxes last year.

I'll tell you what welfare is.

Let's use rightwinger for an example, just for the heck of it. Right winger aka sewer worker winger, decides that he would rather live off the taxpayers than work.

Rightwinger stays home, watches soaps all day, and collects welfare and food stamps. He adds nothing to this country.

Exxon on the other hand, doesn't stay at home. It produces. It creates livelihoods for over $35,000 americans, who pay taxes as well. It paid $7.7 billion in taxes to the US last year. It produces a very important product for Americans.

It also pays american suppliers for supplies, who use that money to pay their employees, who also pay taxes.

That is the difference between a lazy butt like right winger, and a big corporation that is an asset to this country.

Once again, they paid $7.7 billion in US taxes last year.

The issue is income tax. I thought that was clearly implied. My bad.

Though I have to say I find it immensely humorous that righties like to count the entire sales tax a company pays as BOTH a cost to consumer AND to the company.

Did you not read the link or are you retarded? Exxon paid NEGATIVE INCOME TAX in 2009. The IRS GAVE THEM over 150 million dollars. How the fuck is that THEIR money?[/U][/B]

To which link are you referring?

Okay, yet again, Exxon paid $7.7 billion in US taxes last year.

I'll tell you what welfare is.

Let's use rightwinger for an example, just for the heck of it. Right winger aka sewer worker winger, decides that he would rather live off the taxpayers than work.

Rightwinger stays home, watches soaps all day, and collects welfare and food stamps. He adds nothing to this country.

Exxon on the other hand, doesn't stay at home. It produces. It creates livelihoods for over $35,000 americans, who pay taxes as well. It paid $7.7 billion in taxes to the US last year. It produces a very important product for Americans.

It also pays american suppliers for supplies, who use that money to pay their employees, who also pay taxes.

That is the difference between a lazy butt like right winger, and a big corporation that is an assest to this country.

So you're saying Exxon is like, some sort of benevolent charity, that we the taxpayer should be as kind as possible to, and in fact, revere, possibly even worship?

Bless us oh ExxonMobil!

Forum List

Back