37 Pictures That Will Restore Your Faith In Pit Bulls

Quick statistics :

• In the 8-year period from 2005 to 2012, two dog breeds accounted for 73% of the attacks that resulted in death: pit bulls and rottweilers.

• 71% of the pit bull fatalities have occurred in the past 10 years; 42% in the past four years; 24% in the past two years.

• Over 600 U.S. cities have adopted breed-specific laws since the mid 1980s, just after pit bulls (fighting dogs) began leaking into the general population.

• By 2016, pit bulls are projected to maul 275 Americans to death since 1998, the year the CDC stopped tracking fatal dog attacks by breed.

• In the 8-year period from 2005 to 2012, pit bulls killed 151 Americans, about one citizen every 19 days.

• In 2012, roughly one-third, 32%, of all dog bite fatality victims were either visiting or living temporarily with the dog's owner when the fatal attack occurred.

• In the 3-year period of 2006 to 2008, 18% of all fatal dog attacks occurred off owner property. Pit bulls were responsible for 81% of these attacks.

• In the first eight months of 2011, nearly half of the persons killed by a pit bull was the dog's owner and primary caretaker.

• Over 30 countries across the world regulate dangerous dog breeds with breed-specific laws including: France, Norway, Spain, Portugal and Great Britain.

• In 2011, adult victims of fatal pit bull attacks more than doubled the number of child victims.

• A study published in 2010 showed there were 4 times as many dog bite-related ED visits and 3 times as many hospital stays in rural areas than in urban areas.

• Pit bull terriers were selectively bred for a violent activity that is now a felony in all 50 U.S. states: dogfighting.

• Over 260 U.S. military bases governed by the U.S. Air Force, Air Force Space Command, U.S. Army, U.S. Marine Corps and Navy regulate dangerous dog breeds.

• Dog attack victims suffer over $1 billion in monetary losses annually. JAMA reports this estimate to be as high as $2 billion.

• A 2010 study showed that the average cost of a dog bite-related hospital stay was $18,200, about 50% higher than the average injury-related hospital stay.

• Dog bites occur every 75 seconds in the United States. Each day, over 1,000 citizens need emergency medical care to treat these injuries.

• Dog bites are the fifth highest reason why children seek emergency room treatment due to activities they voluntarily engage in, such as playing sports.

But, like I said, I'm not in favor of banning dogs. Because which breed would be singled out next? Dobermans? You'd take my babies away from me over my dead body! Oh, and Greta may look tough, but she's never bitten one of the little dogs! :(

what she said.....

thor's worst offense so far....making the kids run home crying from the bus stop....seems small groups of kids upsets him...he is now on lock down when the bus runs

Oh, Lord, if I let Greta run free she'd probably be chasing people on bikes and skateboards. I don't think she'd bite them, just chase them, but they wouldn't know she wasn't gonna bite them.

I don't blame thor, small groups of kids upset me, too. :)

Are Pit Bulls Really Dangerous?

As usual this is another issue clouded by confusion, misunderstanding, and ignorance:

What Is a Pit Bull?

There’s a great deal of confusion associated with the label “pit bull.” This isn’t surprising because the term doesn’t describe a single breed of dog. Depending on whom you ask, it can refer to just a couple of breeds or to as many as five—and all mixes of these breeds. The most narrow and perhaps most accurate definition of the term “pit bull” refers to just two breeds: the American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) and the American Staffordshire Terrier (AmStaff). Some people include the Bull Terrier, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier and the American Bulldog in this group because these breeds share similar head shapes and body types. However, they are distinct from the APBT and the AmStaff.

Because of the vagueness of the “pit bull” label, many people may have trouble recognizing a pit bull when they see one. Multiple breeds are commonly mistaken for pit bulls, including the Boxer, the Presa Canario, the Cane Corso, the Dogo Argentino, the Tosa Inu, the Bullmastiff, the Dogue de Bordeaux, the Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog and the Olde English Bulldogge. Think you can accurately identify a pit bull? Test yourself by following this link: findpitbull_v4.

Why the Bad Rap?

Sadly, the pit bull has acquired a reputation as an unpredictable and dangerous menace. His intimidating appearance has made him attractive to people looking for a macho status symbol, and this popularity has encouraged unscrupulous breeders to produce puppies without maintaining the pit bull’s typical good nature with people. To make matters worse, irresponsible owners interested in presenting a tough image often encourage their pit bulls to behave aggressively. If a pit bull does bite, he’s far more likely to inflict serious injuries than most other breeds, simply because of his size and strength. A pit bull bite is also far more likely to draw media attention. Many dogs of other breeds bite people, but these incidents almost always go unreported. They’re just not exciting enough fodder for television and print.

Despite this bad rap, a well-bred, well-socialized and well-trained pit bull is one of the most delightful, intelligent and gentle dogs imaginable. It is truly a shame that the media continues to portray such a warped image of this beautiful, loyal and affectionate breed. Pit bulls once enjoyed a wonderful reputation.

The Truth About Pit Bulls | ASPCA

It’s likely many owners of ‘pit bulls’ don’t even realize they in fact do not own a ‘pit bull.’

[MENTION=19018]Bfgrn[/MENTION]

Find out how many registered pit bulls there are in your country, and then tell me how many of those pit bulls have attacked a person so badly they needed hospital treatment.

Lets really find out if pit bulls are dangerous...

[MENTION=19018]Bfgrn[/MENTION]

Find out how many registered pit bulls there are in your country, and then tell me how many of those pit bulls have attacked a person so badly they needed hospital treatment.

Lets really find out if pit bulls are dangerous...

How about MY pit bull that tried to kill me in my own living room? I have had dogs for over 60 years. Did I suddenly become a 'bad' dog owner? Or maybe I just wanted the femur in my right leg exposed, and blood gushing from my leg and both arms?

When any other dog has a bad day, somebody can get hurt; when a pit bull has a bad day, somebody can get killed or maimed. Pit bulls don't 'bite', they attack.

Here is someone whose name could have been Noomi...

Pregnant woman mauled to death by family pit bull was in campaign group arguing that the animals are safe

• Victim was member of 'Dog Lovers Responsible About Pit Bulls'

• Husband: 'She will be buried with killer dog'

• Two-year-old pitbull terrier shot after charging at police

• Husband finds Darla Napora's body drenched in blood

• Victim suffered dozens of bites to her body and face

article-0-0D78D8B500000578-230_468x286.jpg

A pregnant woman who was mauled to death by one of her pet pit bull terriers belonged to group campaigning to convince people that the animals aren't dangerous, it has emerged.

Darla Napora, 32, was bitten dozens of times and found by her husband Greg covered in blood outstretched on their living room floor in Pacifica, California.

Police say the two-year-old unneutered pit bull believed to be responsible was hovering around the woman, who had major injuries to her upper body and face.

It has since emerged Napora was a member of Bay Area Dog Lovers Responsible About Pit Bulls, a group that does its best to convince people that pit bulls aren't really that dangerous.

'When they arrived, they found the victim laying in her own front living room; she was not breathing, unresponsive and had major trauma to her upper body,' said Pacifica Police Captain Dave Bretini.

'The husband stated that when he got home, at about noon, he found his wife with their pit bull hovering over her.'

Police shot the pit bull terrier, similar to the one pictured, dead as it tried to escape from the Napora's back garden

Police shot the blood covered animal dead as it tried to escape from the back garden whilst officers conducted their investigation.

'The last thing we wanted to happen was for the dog to get out and start attacking bystanders or be loose in the neighbourhood,' Bertini said.

Read more: Darla Napora: Pregnant woman dies after being mauled by pet dog in living room | Mail Online

Last edited:
The thing about Pit Bulls is they need the right training and the right owner. If a dog is a problem 99% of the time it is due to something the owner did. That's a fact. You don't go get a Pit Bull unless you know how to handle a strong willed and very strong, physically dog.

And as far as dog bite injuries go, lots of breeds have bitten. I've seen stories about Rottweilers biting people and even killing people. I used to work in a vet clinic and I was more afraid of chows than Pit Bulls and Akitas can be dangerous too.

But it is mostly because of bad ownership and also very important-bad breeders!! Get your dog from a reputable breeder. AND, most dogs need to be supervised around children and animals like cats that aren't part of the family even if they aren't aggressive because they like to chase and they will knock kids over-if they are big enough-all in play.

It's common sense, and everyone who owns a dog, should know how to take care of them in regards to training, proper enclosure, how to walk them, make sure they have enough exercise and enough mental stimulation so they don't get bored, and of course all their shots-especially rabies.

It is a privilege to own a dog, not a right. Know what you are doing.

Off my soap box now. I've just seen too many examples of bad dog ownership. From working at the vet clinic to volunteering at the Humane Society.

People need to be educated on how to own certain breeds of dogs. The breeds shouldn't be banned but people should have to take classes to own them. IMO anyway.

By 1993 pit bulls kept as pets, exclusive of dogs trained to fight, already accounted for more than half of all life-threatening dog attacks. Rottweilers accounted for 20%. Over the past decade the number of life-threatening pit bull attacks was up 789%; attacks on children were up 876%; attacks on adults were up 490%; fatalities were up 388%; and maimings were up 1269%. The percentage of total life-threatening dog attacks committed by pit bulls did not go up only because the number of life-threatening Rottweiler attacks leaped 2000%; attacks on children were up 1000%; attacks on adults were up 1700%; fatalies were up 2500%; and maimings were up 2500%. Rottweilers now account for 25% of all life-threateningdog attacks.
No other common breeds present an even remotely comparable actuarial risk factor. Yet among all the major U.S. animal advocacy groups, only PETA has favored a breed-specific approach to dog regulation.

The list for why pitbulls are dangerous, in numbers:

$92.7 million – Dog bite claims totaled $92.7 million for 2,400 claims in California (Insurance Information Institute, 2011). Source.
$500,000 – The typical cost of settlements in attacks by pit bulls and Rottweilers causing death or serious injury is an average of a half million dollars. The amount of $29,396 was the average cost of a dog bite case in 2011. Source.

3000 % - Pit bulls and Rottweilers do three times more killing and maiming than all other dogs combined, meaning that their actuarial risk is approximately 3000% higher than that of the average dog. Source.

2,500 – More than 2,500 times higher risk of killing than Labradors. Source.

789% – Over the past decade, there was an increase of 789% in the number of life-threatening pit bull attacks (attacks on children were up 876%; attacks on adults were up 490%; fatalities were up 388%; and maimings were up 1269%.). Source.

66% – 80% – Over 2/3 (66% – 80%) of the pit bulls who end up at the shelter are surrendered by their owners. Source.

65% – Pit bulls are responsible for 65 percent of all fatal dog attacks nationally. Source.

58% – Fifty eight percent of dogs euthanized at shelters are pit bull types.

44% – Forty four percent of Seeing Eye teams have reported being attacked by other dogs. Source.

25% – A fourth of all dog bite claims were by due to pit bull bites. Source.

14 – Every fourteen days, someone in the U.S. is killed by a pit bull.

14 – Pitbuls are fourteen times more likely to escape their confines. Source.

11th – Eleventh in popularity – *American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers, ranked 11th in popularity among 16 AKC-registered breeds and had by far the highest risk of killing — more than 2,500 times higher than Labs. Source.

9 – Owners of dangerous breeds are more than 9 times more likely to have been convicted for a crime involving children and more than Source.

8 – Eight times more likely to have been charged with drug crimes than owners of low-risked licensed dogs. Source.

6 – Six times more likely to kill their owners. Source.

5.4 – Every 5.4. days, a body part is severed and lost in a pit bull attack . Source.

3 – Owners of dangerous dogs are more than three times more likely to have been convicted of domestic abuse. Source.

1/3 of all home insurance claims are dog bites (25% of them, pit bull bites). Source.

3 – It is estimated that pit bull type dogs represent 3% of the total population of dogs in the U.S.A.. Source.

1 - The Leading biters in 25 states. Source.

1 – The Leading biters, nationally. Source.

1 - Leading in deaths and serious disfigurements and maimings. Source.

(U.S. statistics only)

So, is there any way a decent person would deny that Pitbulls ARE dangerous dogs? No, there isn’t.

Last edited:
The dogs and I were menaced by a pitbull AGAIN on our evening walk last night! This was a different one than the one who picked my small dog Cynthia up by the back of the neck and shook her ($355 vet bill) several weeks ago. That one was named Piddles. The one tonight was named McNasty. Came running out of a house as we passed by, started circling us. I whipped out the bear spray and popped off the safety. A guy came running out yelling, "Don't spray! Don't spray him. He's a nice dog!" I'm like, yeah right, buddy. The guy finally got ahold of his dog and took him away, but not before getting my dogs all riled up and milling around. Try walking five dogs at once and then being harrassed like that. I didn't spray that pit, but I probably should have. I left him an opportunity to grab one of my dogs by hesitating. Pepper spray won't do any permanent damage, but it will turn them away.

You know, it just occurred to me. I've had this happen four times now where a loose dog runs up to us and starts circling us and totally ignores their owner who is calling to them. And every time it was a pitbull. Hmmm.

Next time, I spray. I don't hesitate. If the owner doesn't like it, tough shit. I'm pretty sure he doesn't own that shack he's living in, he's renting it. I'll look up the owner in the property records and contact him if his tenant gives me any grief. That's what I did a few years ago when a pit bull came at us and I pepper sprayed him and the owner got pissed off and threatened me. Told me never to walk down that street again. I walked down that street the very next day. Called the guy's landlord. The landlord took care of it, the guy never bothered me again and his fucking pitbull wasn't ever running loose again.

Last edited:
I've had other dogs come up to us when we're out walking, too. But it's an entirely different feeling than when these pitbulls do. One husky mix kept following us and I kept telling him to "Get outta here, go on home!" But he wouldn't. Finally I turned around and ordered him to "SIT!" He did. That's when I knew we didn't really have anything to worry about. :)

But the pits, they won't even look you in the eye. They're intent upon your dogs, staring and circling. Little fuckers!

Sorry, but I'm walking five dogs, I don't need to be fucked with! Don't judge me by this picture...I've lost 35 pounds since then! :)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back