30th Anniversary of Jonestown

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Luissa, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
  2. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    there is a wav file on the net, and im sure youtube, that is a recording of the final moments of jonestown while the flavour aid was being passed around. it's creepy as hell.

3. Shogun

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
  4. Silence

Silence wanna lick?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +457
    MSNBC just did a documentary on this event called Witness to Jonestown. It was sickening to see how many people were murdered. and I say murdered because while they may have willingly drank the koolaid they were completely brainwashed by this guy.

The sad thing is the premise of his society isn't a bad one...people living together in harmony, helping one another out and being a bonded community. BUT it goes terribly wrong when you can't have your own opinions and when the guy in charge is running suicide drills. I mean WTF?

5. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    Yeah, frigging crazy!

It's all over the news here because he was from Indiana and started his cult here. He left Indiana because he was tired of getting "hasseled" by the media and the public.

The term "Drinking the Kool Aid" came from this tragedy that is Jonestown.

6. Shogun

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    wich is silly since he used flavor aid.

7. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    Well you know how America loves their name brands.

Got a Kleenex?

8. Hendrix

Hendrix Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I feel bad for all the people that died, but even worse for the people that were forced to die.

And poor Leo Ryan.

9. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,411
    Well Silence, to tell you the truth, they weren't exactly willing. What the cameras DON'T show you is the gunmen standing on the outer perimeter making sure that they drank and died.

I can see why people followed him though.......he took and told them some really cool things that came from the Jewish theology, then combined it with Christian theology and came up with himself as God's appointed messenger (at first), but then, he ended up telling his followers that he was God incarnate.

Now.....if one was to think about this for a second........has anyone ever noticed that the cults like the YFZ Ranch (Warren Jeffs), as well as all those other weirdos (I live in TX, and there are more than a few religious nutbags in these parts), but, did you notice that ALL of them use a mish-mash of Judaism and Christianity in a blended, strange combination.

Interesting thing is though, if you were to study under a rabbi or Torah scholar who was comfortable explaining things to Christians (trust me.....not many are, and I've seen why), you would see EXACTLY where the lies are in this.

Yes, I do study Torah, and yes, I am a Christian, but, I've never tried to combine the 2 theologies. What works best is to learn one and see where it connects to the other. Judaism is not Christianity, and Christianity is not Judaism, but they are connected.

10. CA95380

CA95380 USMB Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +186
    We watched Witness to Jonestown, too. It was chilling to watch it all over ... we had watched as news developed, when it happened.

The sad thing is? There are more cult's out that the "follower's" would probably do the same thing again. :( Like the group that followed this nutcase! :(

[​IMG]
    Hale Bopp and Heaven's Gate Cult