29 years of Santa Claus

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
Sad times.. the end is near.. My oldest is 29 and the youngest is 9yrs old. The last year to be Santa Claus. It was a good run.

We have always taken the wonder of Christmas pretty serious around my house. It hasn't always been easy holding the magic. Many parents consider the fantasy just silliness. I recall from my youth the miracle and anticipation of Christmas morning a time of wonder, imagination and surprise.

They have a whole life time of reality but I've always believed a sprinkling of magic and fantasy could only enrich their lives.

The end does kinda make me sad though..:(

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Lumpers- go buy a Santa suit for $50. Visit the grade school. They'll love ya. I've been doing it for 5 years now. Then I go around town to all the businesses, hand out candy canes, give the old ladies hugs. It's a hoot.

Lumpy, my 16 year old son is special needs (ASD) and he still believes. I know what you mean about that ending. It's fun when they believe. Enjoy this Christmas. Might not be the last one of believing . . . you might get another year or two, if you're lucky.

Lumpers- go buy a Santa suit for $50. Visit the grade school. They'll love ya. I've been doing it for 5 years now. Then I go around town to all the businesses, hand out candy canes, give the old ladies hugs. It's a hoot.

Well the beard comes in pretty white nowadays.. maybe I should give it a try.. thanks.. great idea..

Lumpy, my 16 year old son is special needs (ASD) and he still believes. I know what you mean about that ending. It's fun when they believe. Enjoy this Christmas. Might not be the last one of believing . . . you might get another year or two, if you're lucky.

The darling wife thinks it's best to spill the beans, we'll see..:eusa_think:

I want to know how you kept a 29 year old believing in Santa all these years.

Turning 30 is bad enough, imagine finding out there is no Santa.

Nah. Kids talking at school over the next year or two will take care of it. My advice? Mums the word from you guys.

Hmmmmm ... this is a tough one.
The way I see it, I could tell my child there is no such thing as Santa Claus, out of fear he may be ridiculed by other school children for still believing. Yet there is that part of me that wants to hang on to my childs innocence as long as possible.

My husband and I told our oldest child at the age of 9. For the fear I mentioned above.
He seems to have turned out okay. ( wipes brow )

Now my youngest is 10 and we find ourselves at that crossroads again.
This time, I don't think I want to speak the truth. This time I think I'll let the magic continue. Sure, he may hear the truth in school .... most likely he will. Just maybe he's the type of child who thinks if he mentions Santa not being real, he'll fear he won't get any presents. A few parents have told me this to be true with their kids.

It's sad when the youngest grows up and certain aspects of your life change, never to go back again. We're almost done with Cub Scouts and our elementary school. ( including all those annual activities we've come to enjoy over the years ) Sigh.

Can someone pass me a tissue!?!

I never really bought into the whole Santa Claus thing. It just didn't make any sense to me. However, when I found out there was no Easter Bunny I was devastated. I nearly didn't make it out of the 9th grade!

Hmmmmm ... this is a tough one.
The way I see it, I could tell my child there is no such thing as Santa Claus, out of fear he may be ridiculed by other school children for still believing. Yet there is that part of me that wants to hang on to my childs innocence as long as possible.

My husband and I told our oldest child at the age of 9. For the fear I mentioned above.
He seems to have turned out okay. ( wipes brow )

Now my youngest is 10 and we find ourselves at that crossroads again.
This time, I don't think I want to speak the truth. This time I think I'll let the magic continue. Sure, he may hear the truth in school .... most likely he will. Just maybe he's the type of child who thinks if he mentions Santa not being real, he'll fear he won't get any presents. A few parents have told me this to be true with their kids.

It's sad when the youngest grows up and certain aspects of your life change, never to go back again. We're almost done with Cub Scouts and our elementary school. ( including all those annual activities we've come to enjoy over the years ) Sigh.

Can someone pass me a tissue!?!

This is the nut shell dilemma, when they finally ask the direct question, "are you Santa Claus.?" . They trust you to give the truthful answer and you could misdirect them or spill the beans. We feel obligated to spill the beans..

For whatever the reason the direct question hasn't been given and there's the dilemma of preemption because of the hints she may give like, my friends say there isn't and so forth but still not the direct question. That's where we're at...:eusa_think:

I'm more surprised that your youngest and oldest are 20 years apart.

Lets just say my first marriage lacked the necessary magic...:lol:

I hear ya, however, with my first marriage SHE, had all the magic, and could change into a Test Pilot for a Broom Factory in seconds.

The second one has been an angel, we all learn don't we.

The ending of the Santa Clause for our kids, is a sad event, all those years watching their faces light up, the anticipation, how "GOOD" they became a couple of weeks before Christmas LOL. Those were the days my friend. That last sentence sounds familiar?

Forum List

Back