23.5% of Welfare Rec. in NC Test Positive for Drugs

An interesting article designed for dumbed down liberals which states that only 0.3% of those screened tested positive. Now, I would like to challenge those with US public education to figure out this paragraph of the article:

From the 7,600 recipients and applicants given an initial screening, social workers referred only 2% for drug testing. That amounted to 89 people. Of those 89, 21 people tested positive for drugs, representing less than 0.3% of the total number of those screened.

North Carolina reveals results of welfare applicant drug tests
It would be great to kick all those caught off welfare.

I used to argue its not worth the cost but I think it is. I've seen personally too many taking advantage of welfare. If we could purge 23% off welfare that'd be good

You bought his 23% number? Isn't that special!

While we're writing of the Carolina's, why is South Carolina ripping off tax payers by taking 7.87:1 paid in federal taxes? 68% of the population is white. I thought welfare is a black problem.
That's your problem - you thought welfare is a black problem (although I really think you were intentionally being sarcastic). Welfare is one of the 'economic slavery' tools used by politicians to make citizens dependent upon the govt. It is 'sold' as a program to help people, but if the govt really wanted to help people they would create programs specifically designed to get people OFF of welfare, Food Stamps, etc...

They would work to create training opportunities, bring back jobs, and work with businesses to do things like create 'apprenticeships' where businesses agree to hire people (even without college educations) and teach them everything they know about a job/career while they work and in turn the employee would agree to stay with the company for 'X' number of years - the pay might be a little less than normal but the workers would be taught a trade in a hands-on job.

Dependency on the govt = votes, as those receiving benefits do not want them to go away. It's not rocket science, but it is by design.

Welfare is needed because employers are treating employees as economic slaves.

If you can afford to buy drugs you don't need Food Stamps, Welfare, or an Obamaphone.

Every state should make drug tests mandatory to receive government subsidies / hand-outs.

That's a Reagan phone.

Legislate a living wage and we'll not have to worry about welfare.
10986006015_3c0409c457_b.jpg

An interesting article designed for dumbed down liberals which states that only 0.3% of those screened tested positive. Now, I would like to challenge those with US public education to figure out this paragraph of the article:

From the 7,600 recipients and applicants given an initial screening, social workers referred only 2% for drug testing. That amounted to 89 people. Of those 89, 21 people tested positive for drugs, representing less than 0.3% of the total number of those screened.

I used to argue its not worth the cost but I think it is. I've seen personally too many taking advantage of welfare. If we could purge 23% off welfare that'd be good

What if welfare abuse/fraud were far more rampant than you know?

I bet stats also show more people don't get caught doing drugs than do, and to even suggest 23% of 89 is not statistically large, is fooling noone but themselves.
So, a quarter of those tested is miniscule, in your eyes?

89 people were tested out of over 7k and the ones tested were screened because they were convicted of using drugs within the past year and out of this very small sample of high probability candidates only 23% tested positive.

The OP is a lie, there is no other conclusion to make based on what was provided. Him continuing to state that liberals are too stupid to understand the link he provided is icing on the cake.

Well, life is hard and sometimes people do drugs to make it a little easier. Maybe if you raised the minimum wage or fought to get more of the profit going to the workers. Well, maybe there'd be a lot less people on it.

And there ya go... raise the minimum wage and people won't do drugs.

:lmao:

Um, it is .3% of the total number screened, not the total number tested, as the article stated. Perhaps we need a round of drug testing right here at USMB.

He said this while signing the bill the National Industrial Recovery Act, which was later thrown out by the SC, as being unconstitutional.
http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/FDR-s-Policies-Prolonged-Depression-5409
it prolonged it for at least 7 years.

If you can afford to buy drugs you don't need Food Stamps, Welfare, or an Obamaphone.

Every state should make drug tests mandatory to receive government subsidies / hand-outs.

That's a Reagan phone.

Legislate a living wage and we'll not have to worry about welfare.
10986006015_3c0409c457_b.jpg

Why do our USMB conservative posters repeatedly lie when they post threads? Is it that they are too stupid to know better or they think they can draw conclusions from their links and that everyone will blindly accept their conclusions

No, 23.5% of NC welfare recipients are not on drugs. From your link....

Social workers decide who to test based on drug history. Anyone who has used drugs in the past year or was convicted of a felony drug crime in the past three years gets tested.

Only those with a history of drug use got tested for drugs and only about a quarter of those were found to still be using drugs

So, I guess you also always mention polls are not statistically representative of the whole, either then, right?

Why do our USMB conservative posters repeatedly lie when they post threads? Is it that they are too stupid to know better or they think they can draw conclusions from their links and that everyone will blindly accept their conclusions

Social workers decide who to test based on drug history. Anyone who has used drugs in the past year or was convicted of a felony drug crime in the past three years gets tested.

Only those with a history of drug use got tested for drugs and only about a quarter of those were found to still be using drugs

23.5% you say?

I bet that is WAY under how many Congressmen would test positive.

I think we should piss test every lawmaker. I don't want them creating laws under the influence. These laws affect all of us.

There should also be a breathalyzer before every floor vote.

What kind of drugs?

Pot?

So what?

It isn't. And we already know that people on public assistance are no more likely to be drug addicts than anyone else.

So, I guess you also always mention polls are not statistically representative of the whole, either then, right?

Yet another conservative unable to understand basic math

Any more of you out there? Come on conservatives...chime in

Why is it hard to understand that 21 of 89 is 23.5%. Is there a progressive math system which defies logic? Has simple mathematics joined the world of political correctness?

It isn't. And we already know that people on public assistance are no more likely to be drug addicts than anyone else.
From my perspective, it is rampant. I see or know of a few young white male slackers who instead of sucking it up, instead of spending money on all kinds of stuff they shouldn't be buying, we subsodize their slackiness. And the one dude comes over with beef jerky and starbuck little cold coffees in those little glass bottles. Those things are expensive. I can afford them and I don't even buy them.

The one slacker I'm talking about is a republicans. I ask him how he can take food stamps and be a republican. He admits that without foodstamps he would be forced to make different choices.

Now some might make good choices like don't buy weed and cigarettes or $3 a beer at the bar, but some might resort to stealing/robbery.

Remember I'm a liberal so I see both sides of the coin. I don't completely disagree with you so try to see the other sides points. There is fraud and abuse. Probably a lot.

Oh and my sister in law is a physical therapist. She says all the young arabs that come in to her hospital all have medicaid. They came here, faked an illness, got an arab doctor to approve them, now they will be on ssi forever. And there are probably thousands of them. Now imagine all the whites, blacks and every other slacker in America who's too sick to work.

Why is it hard to understand that 21 of 89 is 23.5%. Is there a progressive math system which defies logic? Has simple mathematics joined the world of political correctness?
Those 89 were not a statistical sample of all welfare recipients, doofus.

They were a statistical sample of those with a prior history of drug abuse or a felony conviction.

At most, this piss test revealed a 23.5% recividism rate of drug abusers. It does not speak at all to welfare recipients.

Forum List

Back