21 yr. old Miami point guard worth reported $800,000

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
This is how the NIL works. The best college basketball teams will not be the ones money can buy, but they will be close. Miami has gotten close this way.

Backed by a brazen billionaire booster who has no qualms about sharing his financial investments, the No. 5 seed Hurricanes head to Kansas City for a regional semifinal date with top-seed Houston. They are led by Nijel Pack, the pint-sized point guard transfer from Kansas State who supposedly pocketed the northside of three-quarters of a million dollars, and Isaiah Wong, the aggressive leading scorer, who used Pack’s good fortune to improve his own situation.

There is nothing wrong with what Miami is doing. While the NCAA sanctioned the women’s team for improper contact with John Ruiz, the booster/owner of LifeWallet, and his very public courting of the TikTok-starring Cavinder twins, the men’s team was not even part of the investigation.

And so it comes down to, really, a simple question: is Miami a renegade, or simply ahead of the curve? “I use this analogy,’’ head coach Jim Larranaga says. “I asked our players if they’ve ever seen Steph Curry in a Subway commercial, and everybody has. I said, ‘OK. That’s NIL.’ You can make some additional money. That’s what NIL was made to do, and that’s what they’re doing.’’

This is how the NIL works. The best college basketball teams will not be the ones money can buy, but they will be close. Miami has gotten close this way.

Backed by a brazen billionaire booster who has no qualms about sharing his financial investments, the No. 5 seed Hurricanes head to Kansas City for a regional semifinal date with top-seed Houston. They are led by Nijel Pack, the pint-sized point guard transfer from Kansas State who supposedly pocketed the northside of three-quarters of a million dollars, and Isaiah Wong, the aggressive leading scorer, who used Pack’s good fortune to improve his own situation.

There is nothing wrong with what Miami is doing. While the NCAA sanctioned the women’s team for improper contact with John Ruiz, the booster/owner of LifeWallet, and his very public courting of the TikTok-starring Cavinder twins, the men’s team was not even part of the investigation.

And so it comes down to, really, a simple question: is Miami a renegade, or simply ahead of the curve? “I use this analogy,’’ head coach Jim Larranaga says. “I asked our players if they’ve ever seen Steph Curry in a Subway commercial, and everybody has. I said, ‘OK. That’s NIL.’ You can make some additional money. That’s what NIL was made to do, and that’s what they’re doing.’’

Someone will likely buy a championship in the future. The only thing that will stop it is the fact that the big time schools already have the most money to spend in the first place.

NIL is weird. Apparently one of the most successful NILers is...a female LSU gymnast, and I don't even think she's all that great from what I understand (though I admit I know fuck all about collegiate gymnastics).

NIL is weird. Apparently one of the most successful NILers is...a female LSU gymnast, and I don't even think she's all that great from what I understand (though I admit I know fuck all about collegiate gymnastics).
Olivia Dunne, not one of the most, but far and away, the most successful. She has ten million followers on Tik-Tok and Instagram and makes over seven figures in endorsement deals alone. Her estimated NIL value is 3.3 million dollars. And yep, she ain't all that great in the sport.

Olivia Dunne, not one of the most, but far and away, the most successful. She has ten million followers on Tik-Tok and Instagram and makes over seven figures in endorsement deals alone. Her estimated NIL value is 3.3 million dollars. And yep, she ain't all that great in the sport.
She's an influencer who gets paid by cosmetic and fashion companies. I can see all of this getting stupid one day.

Forum List

Back