2020 146th Running of the Run for the Roses -- The Kentucky Derby

james bond

Gold Member
Oct 17, 2015
I love the look, feel, and smell of the Kentucky bluegrass, but it needs too much water for where I live.

Today, at 7:01 pm ET, the 146th running of the Kentucky Derby will be post time. rn the show is already streaming. My early pick is sucka free aka Authentic going at 9-1. Tiz the Law should be the favorite. Why? Because he won 2020's Belmont Stakes. What???!!!???!!!

This year they changed up the format for the Triple Crown of horse racing (even with the COVID-19 delay) so The Belmont Stakes goes first, The Kentucky Derby second, and The Preakness third.

America's Best Racing

Are you gonna watch? Which horse do ya got?

I go more for the $2000 claiming races, instead of Stakes racing.

The most tremendous horse race I ever saw was a $2000 claiming race , a mile and 70 yards at Mountaineer Park in Newell, WV.

Tremendous race, #7 Doctor of Medicine came from off the pace to win by a head and $36.60 to win.

No one thought the #7 would win, but he was racing for his life. It was a literal do or die proposition for D.O.M. Either win, or end up on a French man's dinner plate.

The Kentucky Derby might pay well over a million bucks to the winner, but the horse really doesn't see any of that. It isn't that important.

The most tremendous horse race I ever saw was a $2000 claiming race , a mile and 70 yards at Mountaineer Park in Newell, WV.

Tremendous race, #7 Doctor of Medicine came from off the pace to win by a head and $36.60 to win.

No one thought the #7 would win, but he was racing for his life. It was a literal do or die proposition for D.O.M. Either win, or end up on a French man's dinner plate.

The Kentucky Derby might pay well over a million bucks to the winner, but the horse really doesn't see any of that. It isn't that important.
Some of the more not known racetracks can payout high returns.

IS there a replay anywhere?

See below.

Crushed it!!!

Authentic beats Tiz the Law from the last turn, but it was still a battle in the stretch. You couldn't be sure. What an exciting race!!!

Nice description and video here
Authentic Defeats Tiz the Law to Give Baffert Milestone Kentucky Derby Victory
Thanks. Looked all over and couldnt find one. Was settled in to watch it at the mother in laws when the wife said she wasnt feeling good and needed to leave.

See below.

Crushed it!!!

Authentic beats Tiz the Law from the last turn, but it was still a battle in the stretch. You couldn't be sure. What an exciting race!!!

Thanks. Looked all over and couldnt find one. Was settled in to watch it at the mother in laws when the wife said she wasnt feeling good and needed to leave.

The owner of Authentic probably could not get the best jockey and trainer. However, it sounded like he got competent people around him. The article I read before the race showed the horse had a chance to win. That said, Tiz the Law was the clear favorite. I didn't get the warm fuzzies Tiz the Law was a sure thing and no other horse was that close. I bet Authentic to win and covered it with Tiz the Law to show.

The surprising thing about the race was how Authentic's jockey brought his horse out early. He had to as he stated. In a longer race, it could've been a mistake as the favorite Tiz the Law was close behind and had the speed and trait of coming from behind in winning, e.g. The Belmont (!). It sounded like a gutsy move to me, but the jockey appears to have known his horse.

See below.

Crushed it!!!

The owner of Authentic probably could not get the best jockey and trainer. However, it sounded like he got competent people around him. The article I read before the race showed the horse had a chance to win. That said, Tiz the Law was the clear favorite. I didn't get the warm fuzzies Tiz the Law was a sure thing and no other horse was that close. I bet Authentic to win and covered it with Tiz the Law to show.

The surprising thing about the race was how Authentic's jockey brought his horse out early. He had to as he stated. In a longer race, it could've been a mistake as the favorite Tiz the Law was close behind and had the speed and trait of coming from behind in winning, e.g. The Belmont (!). It sounded like a gutsy move to me, but the jockey appears to have known his horse.
Trainer I believe was Bob Baffert.....doesnt get much better

Trainer I believe was Bob Baffert.....doesnt get much better

You're right, of course.

I started watching the Celtics vs Raptors and being on another forum so didn't read my own article carefully enough and had no sound for the Derby. The guy with the silver hair did look familiar. I thought with all the shares the owner and his co-owners had that he didn't have that much money to toss around. Also, his main horse fell and was scratched. Anyway, it made for a 9-1 opening odds while Tiz the Law was 3/5. Tiz the Law sounded dominant with its four recent wins (I think), but I didn't get the warm fuzzies. Otherwise, I would've bet him to win and covered with Authentic. I got the warm fuzzies from Authentic right away when I read its name on the list of horses. Shrug.

How often do you go?

When I was into it, I think most of us horse racing fans do that and go to the local tracks. I used to because I had a friend at work who was really into it and had the DRF on his desk at all times. We talked about it all the time. He got me into it and following it. However, it's an expensive hobby if you go weekly and bet and all that. This was at Jockey Club at San Mateo, Golden Gate Fields, San Jose, and Cal Expo Sacramento in California. There are all sorts of people and celebrities involved from Hollywood, sports figures, and business people. It's really amazing to read the scratch sheets, start looking at the odds until post time, and hope you're lucky enough to get your bet down on time.

I don't do it anymore as a hobby, but still like to watch and bet on the Stakes racing.

I love the look, feel, and smell of the Kentucky bluegrass, but it needs too much water for where I live.

Today, at 7:01 pm ET, the 146th running of the Kentucky Derby will be post time. rn the show is already streaming. My early pick is sucka free aka Authentic going at 9-1. Tiz the Law should be the favorite. Why? Because he won 2020's Belmont Stakes. What???!!!???!!!

This year they changed up the format for the Triple Crown of horse racing (even with the COVID-19 delay) so The Belmont Stakes goes first, The Kentucky Derby second, and The Preakness third.

America's Best Racing

Are you gonna watch? Which horse do ya got?
Looks like you were right

They do put the fix in at times in claimers. Usually not in the big stakes races. My dad's horses were stabled at Mountaineer as far back as when it was Waterford Park. I love that track.

Forum List

Back