2007: No End In Sight. The Story of America's Invasion of Iraq

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Dante, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Dante

Dante On leave Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    NYT Sept 16 2004 / US Intelligence Shows Pessimism On Iraq's Future

Interesting movie.

note: I supported the initial invasion and pre-911, I supported going in and removing Saddam. I still do not think it was a mistake.

in my view: The mistakes were mare post-invasion and 'Mission Accomplished'

Not long into the movie and my heart grows heavy. The evidence is overwhelming in it's position that total responsibility for the post invasion mess lays at the feet of a few men I admired much. Men like Rumsfeld.

My heart grows heavy because men who were respected and wise seem to have panicked over 911, and allowed reason and rationality to be thrown out the window.

Opportunity presented itself and they anted up and raised the betting (Iraq), and bet the house---and they lost. They overplayed their hands.

---

Not very long into movie my heart sinks. What have men I admired (Rumsfeld and others) done? The evidence is striking and brutal in laying the post invasion at the feet of a few men. Men I admired.

---

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  2. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    back to the movie...

3. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    The movie. After watching it I have to wonder why George W. Bush gets all the blame.

1991, George H. W. Bush, tells Iraqi's to revolt. Shwarzkopf does nothing as Saddam sends helicopter gunships to kills everyone. An embargo ensues, which the Clinton administration continues. Fundamentalist Islam recruitment rises mostly during the economic hardship that follows.

1993 Saddam tries to have GHW Bush assassinated during a visit to Kuwait.

2000, Bush's son George W Bush becomes President.

A small group of conservative Republicans from the first Bush's administration is going to "get right what we got wrong in 1991"-- finish the job. Lots of people, me included are relieved that the Iraqi situation will be put straight.

January 20th 2003 Bush signed NSPD - 24 (National Security Presidential Directives [NSPD] George W. Bush Administration)

Reconstruction of Post War Iraq handed over to the Pentagon (Ahmed Chalabi enters scene and is given some influence---(Iraqi National Congress-Bank fraud) (According to the Guardian, the trigger for Petra's closure was the decision of Jordan's central bank governor to tighten up on the outflow of foreign exchange in order to prop up the country's currency. When he ordered 20 Jordanian banks to deposit 30 percent of their foreign exchange holdings with the central bank, Petra alone was unable to comply. That triggered an investigation, and authorities replaced Petra's board of directors and then closed the bank in August 1989. By then, at least $200 million could not be accounted for. -salon.com cache )

Chalabi now: The Nation: Banking on Chalabi -by Aram Roston

Defense Intelligence Agency analysts were called liars when they warned about anything to do with Iraqi National Congress and Chalabi in particular. .

The Bush administration is saying to people inside the military and elsewhere, that by the end of august 2003, Americans will be pulling out...of Iraq.

State Dept's 'The future of Iraq Project' ignored by Pentagon (Rumsfeld).

one of the unspoken facts here is that after the initial bungling of the Post Iraq Invasion occupation: Dismantling of the Iraqi Armed Forces, debaathification of the civilian infrastructure...The insurgency starts heating up (hundreds of thousands of trained and armed men are without means to support their families---millions of people who had jobs are refused entry into a job market---US companies are given work over the bids of Iraqi companies, who would do the work for a fraction of the cost) and -- Fundamental Islamist recruitment is again, on the rise. We now have two instances of this happening.

-depressing reading of events. nothing is spared. nothing.

4. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    2007 Movie: The Army Corp of Engineers (working alongside and with help from Iraqi's), and US Compnay Parsons' build forts. One engineer says his forts were built in about 5 months and that Parsons built forts were still not fiinished when he left. The Parson's built forts were started a year before this soldier arrived.

I am sure there were criticisms of the facts in the movie, from people who were in the Bush admin, and from people who supported the Bush admin, but...

In 2008, the Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction weighed in...
    Parsons, Military Wasted Millions in Iraq, Inspector Bowen Says - Bloomberg.com

---

The soldier and the civilian official quoted in the movie are named: Seth Moulton and Ann Gildroy.

Their border forts cost $200.000. Parsons' cost $1.2 million

5. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    end result? Bush and Rumsfeld were clueless and those of us who supported them from day one, whether we stayed with them through it all or not, have been duped. For whatever reasons almost the whole conservative movement refused a chance to right things in 2004. Bush was reelected and the fiasco continued with the GOP and conservatives of all stripes staying with the failures that kept coming. Why?

Ideology, power, hatred and distrust of fellow Americans---namely Democrats?

Partisan games were played with the war in order to keep hold of the White House out of the hands of the Democrats

6. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    what happened to the insurgency being in it's last throes in 2005?

Monday, June 20, 2005;

The Guardian, Monday 27 June 2005 01.32 BST

7. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,248
    Keep it coming Dev, as you can see everyone's REALLY interested...

8. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    thank you.

when you going to see that kiddie movie with liability?

note: careful, I hope you two don't get discovered. crowds of parents can get pretty ugly when they see two adult predator types lurking at a matinee. I'd hate to lose the valuable contribution you two make to the USMB community

:eusa_whistle:

9. slackjawed

slackjawed Self deported

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +645
    There certainly is some amusement value when retards talk to themselves........

10. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    is that what you are doing?

interesting :eusa_whistle: