2 Grenades Explode At UK Consulate NYC

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050505/ap_on_re_eu/britain_election

2 Grenades Explode at UK Consulate in NYC By BETH GARDINER, Associated Press Writer
4 minutes ago
LONDON - Two small makeshift grenades exploded outside the British Consulate in New York early Thursday, causing slight damage to the building but injuring no one, officials said.

The blasts occurred at 3:50 a.m. as voters were going to the polls in Britain. In London, Britain's Foreign Office said there were no provisions for Britons to vote at overseas consulates.

Police spokesman Noel Waters said the grenades had been placed inside a cement flower box outside the front door of the midtown Manhattan building that houses the consulate.

After piecing together the shrapnel, police determined the devices were toy grenades that had been filled with gunpowder. Officers estimated that one was the size of a pineapple; the other the size of a lemon.

The blasts shattered a panel of glass in the building's front door and ripped a one-foot chunk from the planter. The department's bomb squad was at the scene and streets were closed in the area.

The building has retail shops on the lower level...

I'm inclined to think this is an act of British expatriates living in NYC who want to stir up some trouble to rile the elections back home.

Comrade said:
I'm inclined to think this is an act of British expatriates living in NYC who want to stir up some trouble to rile the elections back home.

Probably. On the way to school, heard that Chicago closed off Michigan Ave., from Wacker Dr to Ohio St. British Consulate is in Wrigley Building, but they reopened pretty quickly. That would have been a mess, encompasses the high end shopping district-The Magnificent Mile.

There are quite a few businesses in that building...22 stories. I would not jump to any conclusions that it was directed at any particular tenant, just yet.

Fmr jarhead said:
There are quite a few businesses in that building...22 stories. I would not jump to any conclusions that it was directed at any particular tenant, just yet.

What other businesses would warrent grenade bombings, let alone the British embassy?

How about any one of the 5 banks that are in the same building?

It does seem plausible that it could be against the British Consulate, but it could also be the work of a drunk partier who thought it would be "cool" to blow up a planter, too.....

Fmr jarhead said:
How about any one of the 5 banks that are in the same building?

I had no idea, hence my question.

It does seem plausible that it could be against the British Consulate, but it could also be the work of a drunk partier who thought it would be "cool" to blow up a planter, too.....

Have no clue.............................

Forum List

Back