1st Amendment vs. Bumper Sticker "FU Trump and FU You for Voting for Him"

emilynghiem

Constitutionalist / Universalist
Jan 21, 2010
National Freedmen's Town District
A sheriff went looking for a truck with a profane anti-Trump sticker. He found controversy instead.

imrs.php

Texas penal code describes disorderly conduct as “intentionally or knowingly [using] abusive, indecent, profane, or vulgar language in a public place, and the language by its very utterance tends to incite an immediate breach of peace.” Making “an offensive gesture or display in a public place” is also prohibited if “the gesture or display tends to incite an immediate breach of peace.”

But the ACLU cited a 1971 Supreme Court decision, Cohen v. California, in which the high court overturned a man’s disturbing-the-peace conviction after he’d gone to a courthouse in Los Angeles wearing a jacket that said “F‑‑k the Draft.”

=====================
I don't agree that the environment in a CA courtroom is the same as displaying an obscene advertisement on a car sticker in public and especially on roadways with moving traffic (and children in cars who could be exposed). I believe the best way to address these cases are locally, between the people complaining who are directly affected.

I agree with the Sheriff in resolving complaints that the obscene sticker was causing disruption of the peace, distraction to drivers, and a nuisance to the local residents.

If someone advertised an obscene message on a car, or had an obscene reference on a license plate, this would not be allowed. Kids can be exposed to the obscenity without a way to "change the channel" or avoid the source. Obscene words in public broadcasts such as radio/TV are not allowed during regular hours, though some restrictions are relaxed for late night.

I also agree that the drivers/displayers of the bumper sticker have the right to free speech and to seek permission to exercise their rights. But if the residents around them say no, that's not welcome, they have the right to refuse being imposed upon as well. You can't just walk into a public place and make obscene gestures or statements, or other people will complain; someone will have to ask the person to resolve the issue civilly and not disturb others with the obscene language used.

I agree with both sides, and would have asked them to resolve it mutually.
The way this case ended, the authorities found open warrants on the driver and pursued an arrest for that.

They still didn't resolve the root issue. I think it is up to the people affected locally to decide if it is disruptive or not. In these case, too many people complained to authorities, so apparently it was considered disruptive and a breach of the peace.

The Sheriff handled it respectfully as possible, and only sought to communicate the complaints to the driver to request they resolve it. The driver refused, so they found another way around it.

Last edited:
Free speech is one thing, she is obviously a provocateur though. I would suggest though, that the second part of her sticker, the "F YOU!" could create some problems for her. Not everyone takes kindly to being called that to their face when driving.

^^^ Amen to this. If she can't deal with everyone having freedom of speech, perhaps a message like this one shouldn't go up until she can.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

HALP! I'm being provoked by bumper sticker! :eek:

Fantastic bumper sticker :clap:

It's a crappy bumper sticker. She doesn't know why some people voted for Trump yet she chooses to make it personal by adding the F YOU part. She is being a crappy citizen and honestly very selfish, exposing kids to also seeing this. kids are exposed to enough already. This is a mother of 12? what the F is wrong with her?

really? how about if someone drove around with a bumper sticker that said F. U. Blacks lives matter and F. U. for supporting them? you wouldnt find that confrontational? or would you consider that to be 'Fine' free speech?

You know, from 2004 until 2008, I had a large bumpersticker that said "Fuck Bush" in letters 3 inches high on the back of my Harley, and I never got pulled over. Matter of fact, lots of the bikers I hung around with had the same attitude I did.

Me? I personally think this is free speech and there should be no charges filed for this.

If you did have to have a compromise though, maybe if she dropped the "and fuck you for voting for him" part of the sticker, because not everyone was stupid enough to vote for Trump.

It's tacky, but it's a free speech issue. You have bigger problems if a bumper sticker can provoke you to violent encounters.

It's a crappy bumper sticker. She doesn't know why some people voted for Trump yet she chooses to make it personal by adding the F YOU part. She is being a crappy citizen and honestly very selfish, exposing kids to also seeing this. kids are exposed to enough already. This is a mother of 12? what the F is wrong with her?

really? how about if someone drove around with a bumper sticker that said F. U. Blacks lives matter and F. U. for supporting them? you wouldnt find that confrontational? or would you consider that to be 'Fine' free speech?
She knows why plenty of people voted for Trump. Thus the “fuck you.”

It's tacky, but it's a free speech issue. You have bigger problems if a bumper sticker can provoke you to violent encounters.

Exactly. My roomie and I were talking about this yesterday and she was telling me that it was because her sticker could be considered "inciting".

But..................if you are inciting people to riot, you usually have to speak to a group, get them emotionally whipped up, and then encourage them to act.

I hardly see how a bumper sticker (something static that doesn't move around, except on the truck) can incite people. Especially when you have to read it.

Don't like what it says? Don't read it.

Guess next one is gonna be pulling someone over for having a sticker that shows a little boy peeing on something because the thing being peed on triggered a cop.

No it doesnt deserve a "fuck you" there were only two candidates to choose from. many people who voted for Hilalry for example would rather have voted for Sanders or someone else, but they bit their tongue and pulled the lever for Hillary.
The fact that we have reached the point where it is OK to say "fuck you " in great big letters on the back of your window shows where we are as a nation, everybody wants " respect" when it comes to their particular group , yet when you disagree with them it's "fuck you" now, because they follow every stereotype.
I remember a better time when politics didnt define everyday people as much as it does today. I blame these corrupt politicians who through their use of news media over decades have turned us against each other, magnifying every fault in us , for the sole purpose of getting themselves elected.

This is about partisan politics and the very thing the First Amendment was intended to prevent – government using its prosecutorial authority to discourage political dissent and to punish political opponents.

The bumper sticker is speech clearly entitled to Constitutional protections, whether Trump supporters like it or not.

No it doesnt deserve a "fuck you" there were only two candidates to choose from. many people who voted for Hilalry for example would rather have voted for Sanders or someone else, but they bit their tongue and pulled the lever for Hillary.
The fact that we have reached the point where it is OK to say "fuck you " in great big letters on the back of your window shows where we are as a nation, everybody wants " respect" when it comes to their particular group , yet when you disagree with them it's "fuck you" now, because they follow every stereotype.
I remember a better time when politics didnt define everyday people as much as it does today. I blame these corrupt politicians who through their use of news media over decades have turned us against each other, magnifying every fault in us , for the sole purpose of getting themselves elected.
The only ‘justification’ for voting for Trump is that one approves of his hateful, failed, wrongheaded agenda of bigotry, misogyny, and contempt for the rule of law.

No, vulgarity is not a 1st Amendment issue.

At least that was never the intent of the Founders.

You are free to express your opinion about your president, but others driving behind you do not have to ha e their children exposed you your vulgar selves.

The only ‘justification’ for voting for Trump is that one approves of his hateful, failed, wrongheaded agenda of bigotry, misogyny, and contempt for the rule of law.

And thats your opinion

Plenty of people voted for Trump in the primaries. Those people deserve as many "fuck you's" as can be managed.

Forum List

Back