1969 - the Summer of Love(?)

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I’m not sure what the reason is, but my television screen has featured all manner of interviews with people who go on and on about the Summer of Love, 1969. It starts with dreamy reminiscences about Woodstock, Haight Ashbury, blah, blah, blah.

I was there.

Neither I nor any of my friends played any part in the Summer of Love (I was 19/20 at the time), because we were ALL either (a) in the military service (b) working summer jobs to accumulate money for college, (c) attending summer classes at college, or – horror of horrors – (d) working “adult” jobs because we had to grow up as soon as we graduated from high school.

None of us had the free time, the money, or the other resources to migrate up to New York state to spend a week smoking dope, drinking, and pursuing pussy. Or to go to San Francisco just to hang out, or to do any of the other stuff that is dreamily discussed now as “coming of age” in that period, or whatever.

The kids who participated in that Summer of Love were largely upper middle-class twerps, totally funded and enabled by their parents’ indulgence, who had NO IDEA at the time about any adult concerns like paying for college or self support. In short, they were spoiled superannuated teens.

To suppose that any of this reflected the doings or happenings of average American Yoot is akin to supposing that typical Americans spend their summers lounging at the country club.

Same for the Vietnam War protests: spoilt rich college kids pretending to be relevant. The rest of us – the real young people - were studying, in the army, or working necessary part-time jobs.

Funny thing....my sister who was 7 years older than me (I was 12 in 1969), was wearing a sweatshirt with the number 69 on it. My older brother told her what it meant without telling me. She offered it to me and I wore it proudly, not knowing it's meaning.

They both were in college at a state university. They came home one weekend talking shit about the war and Nixon. My father lost it and told them forget protesting and focus on school, or forget about any further financial support. They straightened up.

Last edited:
I’m not sure what the reason is, but my television screen has featured all manner of interviews with people who go on and on about the Summer of Love, 1969. It starts with dreamy reminiscences about Woodstock, Haight Ashbury, blah, blah, blah.

I was there.

Neither I nor any of my friends played any part in the Summer of Love (I was 19/20 at the time), because we were ALL either (a) in the military service (b) working summer jobs to accumulate money for college, (c) attending summer classes at college, or – horror of horrors – (d) working “adult” jobs because we had to grow up as soon as we graduated from high school.

None of us had the free time, the money, or the other resources to migrate up to New York state to spend a week smoking dope, drinking, and pursuing pussy. Or to go to San Francisco just to hang out, or to do any of the other stuff that is dreamily discussed now as “coming of age” in that period, or whatever.

The kids who participated in that Summer of Love were largely upper middle-class twerps, totally funded and enabled by their parents’ indulgence, who had NO IDEA at the time about any adult concerns like paying for college or self support. In short, they were spoiled superannuated teens.

To suppose that any of this reflected the doings or happenings of average American Yoot is akin to supposing that typical Americans spend their summers lounging at the country club.

Same for the Vietnam War protests: spoilt rich college kids pretending to be relevant. The rest of us – the real young people - were studying, in the army, or working necessary part-time jobs.

You gave up all that just to work?

8476cd7e28f7d24b6662b88cca2198e7.jpg

I was there.

It wasn't a summer of "love." Yesterday with all the hatred flying on this board about Dems and Repubs, the only thing close I could think of was the "Summer of Love." The 60's were this bad, maybe, except the "warriors" weren't part of the mainstream fabric.

I was there.

ChevroletCamaroZ28_1969.jpg

My summer of love came a couple years after the 60's. The year I got my first car, and found out that taking a girl to watch the submarine races at the river had nothing to do with submarines, or races.

Funny thing....my sister who was 7 years older than me (I was 12 in 1969), was wearing a sweatshirt with the number 69 on it. My older brother told her what it meant without telling me. She offered it to me and I wore it proudly, not knowing it's meaning.....

Did it get ya any action?

Funny thing....my sister who was 7 years older than me (I was 12 in 1969), was wearing a sweatshirt with the number 69 on it. My older brother told her what it meant without telling me. She offered it to me and I wore it proudly, not knowing it's meaning.....

WTF!

I was 12 years old as indicated in my post. Did you get action at 12 years old?

WTF!

I could have if I knew what I knew just a few years later. I was just too scared or dumb to take advantage, or even recognize opportunities that presented themselves.

In '69 I was working as a counselor in a summer camp less than 80 miles from the Woodstock concert site. Three counselors took off for the concert on knock-down weekend, leaving the rest of us with more work. At the time I was pissed. A week later..., I was jealous.

WTF!

So, that's a no?

In '69 I was working as a counselor in a summer camp less than 80 miles from the Woodstock concert site. Three counselors took off for the concert on knock-down weekend, leaving the rest of us with more work. At the time I was pissed. A week later..., I was jealous.
Man did you fuck up.

Funny thing....my sister who was 7 years older than me (I was 12 in 1969), was wearing a sweatshirt with the number 69 on it. My older brother told her what it meant without telling me. She offered it to me and I wore it proudly, not knowing it's meaning.

They both were in college at a state university. They came home one weekend talking shit about the war and Nixon. My father lost it and told them forget protesting and focus on school, or forget about any further financial support. They straightened up.

:laugh: Funny story..

I was about 12 as well..

I was there.

Where were you stationed? At the Presidio in SF? I was 11 in San Francisco..

I remember laying down in the back of a convertible with the top down, driving through San Francisco with the Young Bloods ~ Jessie Collin Young song blaring in San Francisco feeling that I was seeing something life changing and cool.

Most of those young people lived on nothing, and sold flowers, or drugs to survive...

We were not suppose to get old..

1967 was the Summer of Love.
Exactly!
And also ended in 1967 with the "Death Of Hippie Parade" after the "media" found out about Hippies and tried to commercialize the movement. The Hippies were the first to see through the media propaganda and expose it. Everything the Right "knows" about the Hippie Movement is a media creation, but the Right are too stupid to know it. They STILL have not caught up to the brilliance of the Hippies and they still are jealous of them.

Man did you fuck up.
Who knew you could get in free? I was only 16 with no car and very little money. Driving age was 17 in NJ anyway.

1967 was the Summer of Love.
Exactly!
And also ended in 1967 with the "Death Of Hippie Parade" after the "media" found out about Hippies and tried to commercialize the movement. The Hippies were the first to see through the media propaganda and expose it. Everything the Right "knows" about the Hippie Movement is a media creation, but the Right are too stupid to know it. They STILL have not caught up to the brilliance of the Hippies and they still are jealous of them.

Groovy man!

WTF!

I did.

I was there.

I was 17 years old. I enjoyed every minute of it when not at work.

Forum List

Back