1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

When I was in HS, my aunts boyfriend at the time had a 69 that he was going to sell to me for my first car. My Grandfather bought the car (it was still in pretty decent shape in 1981), took it into his garage and then proceeded to tune it up and make sure that everything was mechanically sound.

He then took it out for a test drive to make sure he'd fixed everything. When he came back a bit later, he point blank told me that I would never get that car because he was sure I would end up killing myself.

Reason he thought that? He had hit around 130 and still had pedal left on the gas. Those cars had some big ass engines with fairly light bodies, and they would MOVE if they were tuned right.

My Grandfather was an ace mechanic and had worked for over 30 years as the lead mechanic for a road construction crew, so he knew his way around engines.

I was seriously disappointed when my first car ended up being a mid 70's station wagon. If I remember correctly, I think they had a 454 engine in them. All I really knew is that when you popped the hood, the engine took up the whole front end.

I have a 1975 Revcon motorhome. It was made with the engine and drivetrain of a 1974 Tornado. The reason I know this is the title has 3 VIN numbers on it, one for the revcon body, one for the American Coach frame and one for the 1974 Oldsmobile Tornado used for the engine and drivetrain. I bought it 1989 and it still runs, but has been parked since 2017.
When I was driving it I loved it. It's 28 feet long but still handles real well. It goes fast too, once I got a ticket in it for going 81 mph in Blanding UT.
The only drawback is it gets about 6mpg, if it is tuned up properly.
But my point is, those cars had enough power to move a house, and did.

I have a 1975 Revcon motorhome. It was made with the engine and drivetrain of a 1974 Tornado. The reason I know this is the title has 3 VIN numbers on it, one for the revcon body, one for the American Coach frame and one for the 1974 Oldsmobile Tornado used for the engine and drivetrain. I bought it 1989 and it still runs, but has been parked since 2017.
When I was driving it I loved it. It's 28 feet long but still handles real well. It goes fast too, once I got a ticket in it for going 81 mph in Blanding UT.
The only drawback is it gets about 6mpg, if it is tuned up properly.
But my point is, those cars had enough power to move a house, and did.
I have worked on both the Revcon and the GMC. The GMC ended up with larger drive axles and CV joints, etc. after GM downsized the FWD platform. If you may know, there was an article written years ago about the GMC: The fastest motorhome made. It's true and they can out-handle many cars on the twisties.

When I was in HS, my aunts boyfriend at the time had a 69 that he was going to sell to me for my first car. My Grandfather bought the car (it was still in pretty decent shape in 1981), took it into his garage and then proceeded to tune it up and make sure that everything was mechanically sound.

He then took it out for a test drive to make sure he'd fixed everything. When he came back a bit later, he point blank told me that I would never get that car because he was sure I would end up killing myself.

Reason he thought that? He had hit around 130 and still had pedal left on the gas. Those cars had some big ass engines with fairly light bodies, and they would MOVE if they were tuned right.

My Grandfather was an ace mechanic and had worked for over 30 years as the lead mechanic for a road construction crew, so he knew his way around engines.

I was seriously disappointed when my first car ended up being a mid 70's station wagon. If I remember correctly, I think they had a 454 engine in them. All I really knew is that when you popped the hood, the engine took up the whole front end.

My first car was a love job of upgrading and reconstruction of a 1972 Ford Torino. The guy had it as his first car and decided to restore it.
After he got $5,000 into it and had it all redone except for the paint job........he gave up on it. Couldn't stand to look at it any more.
He sold it to me for $500.

I was on the highway to my grannys one summer and it was a nice summer......had the windows down and the tunes on.
All of a sudden I notice the trees at the side of the road were blurred into one LOOOOOOOONG tree.
I glanced at the speedometer.............I was going 130 mph! Of course I slowed down a great deal........LOL.
But I could have been going light speed, and would have never noticed.........thats how good that guy rebuilt that car.

I had a Buick Estate Wagon with a 451 after the Torino. Fastest damned thing I ever had. Outran a Boss Mustang at the time, and never even squealed my tires!!!! All electric windows too! I sure miss the hell out of that wagon!!!!

Forum List

Back