1964 Savage Model 101 22 single shot.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
My father bought this gun in 1964, I know this because that is the year he worked 2nd shift and bought this gun for my mother to have at night.
Never fired. Absolute mint condition. Not a mark anywhere, not even dust as it has remained in a bag in a box.

Kind of a neat, unique little gun. Manufactured from 1960 - 1968. Also known as the "youth 22". Original target to sell to was for a boys first gun.
I even have the original box of 22 bullets he bought with it, all the bullets are there.
Dad always said "I never even fired it". Which is evident, the barrel is spotless on the inside and when you touch the gun there is still a little bit of oily residue on the metal.

IMG_1558.jpg

That is a pretty firearm. I would like to have it myself. Just go ahead and keep it.
Oh I will definitely keep it. Dad passed from brain cancer in January 2017.
There is not a huge amount of sentimental value attached to it, Dad was not a "gun guy" if you will, it just sat in a box in his dresser for over 50 years.
There is not a lot of value to them, for curiosity I looked online. Used ones sell around $100. I only found one mint condition/never fired one that sold 5 years ago in an auction for $450. So today - best value is probably around $500.

Oh and I also have a starter gun he bought before he married my mother, so it would have been purchased around 1955-58. Don't know why he bought it, still have the original blanks in a box with it. There is a couple missing, so I believe it had been fired a couple times.

At first glance, the Model 101 appears to be a traditionally styled 6-shot single-action revolver. Actually it is a single-shot pistol with dummy cylinder pinned to the barrel to form an integral unit. Thus, there is no gap at junction of barrel and cylinder to leak gas as in ordinary revolvers.

The barrel and cylinder swing to the right to expose the breech for loading or ejection. The rod ejector is actuated by a thumb button under the left side of the barrel near the muzzle. The firing pin is of spring-loaded independent type pinned in the frame. The hammer rebounds so that it is unnecessary to partially or fully cock it before opening the breech. The mainspring is a virtually unbreakable coil spring. The frame and dummy cylinder are of die-cast alloy with barrel and other parts of steel. Grips are of laminated walnut-colored wood impregnated with plastic.

I saw one of those at my LGS a few years back but it had lived a rough life (frame was sprung/grips cracked) so I passed on it.....They seem to be selling for $150.00 or so on Gunporker.

If I found one out on the wild in decent condition I'd buy it because it's a oddity in the gun world.

Ithaca made the single shot lever action Model 89 in both .22 lr and .22 Magnum around the same time....I have one of each of those.... Both have walnut instead of the elm stocks.

OIP.9uyfxiG2gzf_OHrvl1mM3AHaGF

Last edited:

At first glance, the Model 101 appears to be a traditionally styled 6-shot single-action revolver. Actually it is a single-shot pistol with dummy cylinder pinned to the barrel to form an integral unit. Thus, there is no gap at junction of barrel and cylinder to leak gas as in ordinary revolvers.

The barrel and cylinder swing to the right to expose the breech for loading or ejection. The rod ejector is actuated by a thumb button under the left side of the barrel near the muzzle. The firing pin is of spring-loaded independent type pinned in the frame. The hammer rebounds so that it is unnecessary to partially or fully cock it before opening the breech. The mainspring is a virtually unbreakable coil spring. The frame and dummy cylinder are of die-cast alloy with barrel and other parts of steel. Grips are of laminated walnut-colored wood impregnated with plastic.

I saw one of those at my LGS a few years back but it had lived a rough life (frame was sprung/grips cracked) so I passed on it.....They seem to be selling for $150.00 or so on Gunporker.

If I found one out on the wild in decent condition I'd buy it because it's a oddity in the gun world.

Savage made the single shot lever action Model 89 in both .22 lr and .22 Magnum around the same time....I have one of each of those.... Both have walnut instead of the elm stocks.

OIP.9uyfxiG2gzf_OHrvl1mM3AHaGF

So it really is a single shot. I wasn't gonna say anything. It does look like a single action revolver, though.

So it really is a single shot. I wasn't gonna say anything. It does look like a single action revolver, though.
Yes it is single shot, the "barrel" is not real. In fact, one of the oddities of the gun is when you push the barrel out - it has fake bullets in the excess holes.
So all you do is push the barrel out, slip in a shell, push it back and fire. There is no safety, as you have to cock the hammer in order to fire.
I didn't mention - this is the LR version. And the stock, to me, looks more like walnut than elm... but not sure.
The $500 value I give it is going by the only one I could find online that is in mint condition, never fired, sold for $450 five years ago.

The sell mostly for around $155.00 or so. I did see a one off sell for $430.00 but a guy recently sold a pair of them for $422.00.
I honestly would have no idea.
I saw primarily in the low $100s - but those were used and pretty rough.
I saw some in really good shape sold for $175 - $225.
The only absolute mint, never fired, all original, still in the box was sold for $450 in 2017.
Never fired, never seen the light of day is pretty dang rare.

I honestly would have no idea.
I saw primarily in the low $100s - but those were used and pretty rough.
I saw some in really good shape sold for $175 - $225.
The only absolute mint, never fired, all original, still in the box was sold for $450 in 2017.
Never fired, never seen the light of day is pretty dang rare.
I'd probably pay $225.00 for yours if it has it original box as I'm a sucker for the oddballs.....Lots of off-base firearms hit the market in that era.

It's like the .22 "auto-eject" single-shot H&R I bought a few weeks back. It shoots great and looks sort of cool but it's one of those "but why" rifles.

Forum List

Back