14-Year-Old Missing Boys Are Skilled Enough to Sail Solo?

NoTeaPartyPleez

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2012
This just gags me. These parents are blathering at the television media about how their two 14-year-old sons are skilled enough at sailing to go it on their own....in the Atlantic Ocean? How STUPID.

They were told to stay within the bay and inlet in Jupiter, Florida but don't these STUPID parents realize they are dealing with TEENAGERS? Evidently since the boys have been missing for three days they do not. Logic, simple logic.

Coast Guard vows aggressive search for missing Florida teens: “People can survive in the water”
Coast Guard vows aggressive search for missing Florida teens People can survive in the water FOX6Now.com

Kids do stupid things with each not wanting to appear chicken

Hey lets go to The Bahamas, I'll do it if you will, the boat will make it, we have a GPS and enough gas.....it will be so cool

This just gags me. These parents are blathering at the television media about how their two 14-year-old sons are skilled enough at sailing to go it on their own....in the Atlantic Ocean? How STUPID.

They were told to stay within the bay and inlet in Jupiter, Florida but don't these STUPID parents realize they are dealing with TEENAGERS? Evidently since the boys have been missing for three days they do not. Logic, simple logic.

Coast Guard vows aggressive search for missing Florida teens: “People can survive in the water”
Coast Guard vows aggressive search for missing Florida teens People can survive in the water FOX6Now.com

Not something I would let a 14 year old do. Hope they are found.

My husband and I prayed for these two boys today. The parents told them to stay within the bay and inlet. They didn't tell them they could go out on the open ocean. Let's take it easy on the parents. They are already in enough agony not knowing where their sons are.

God knows where these two boys are. I'm believing God for a miracle that even though their boat was found capsized they are wading water waiting to be rescued and the LORD is going to direct that rescue boat straight to them. In Jesus name, I am believing for a miracle for these two boys.

It was a power boat.
From what I understand they weren't supposed to leave the bay but they decided to make the run to the Bahamas and didnt make it.
The Gulf Stream can be a real bitch if you dont time it right.

You have to wonder why they didnt stay with the boat or if they were unable to.
You always stay with the boat in situations like that for visibility reasons and they had to of known that.

You always stay with the boat in situations like that for visibility reasons and they had to of known that.

Yes sounds like they don't have both life jackets either.

You can bet they had lifevests if for no other reason than to avoid tickets.
And even if they werent wearing them at the time,you'd think they'd have been able to retrieve them from the boat unless they were incapacitated in some way.

On a side note..does any one else think of the show Flipper when you see the blonde headed kid?

And even if they werent wearing them at the time,you'd think they'd have been able to retrieve them from the boat unless they were incapacitated in some way.

On a side note..does any one else think of the show Flipper when you see the blonde headed kid?

Yes it sounds like they had two and one was found with the boat.

The way I heard it is that the step father of one of the boys said that they weren't allowed to venture on ocean waters. The boat was found upside down about a hundred miles north in the Atlantic. Rip currents are vicious and they can pull a swimmer or a boat way off course before they know it. Since they found the boat and not the boys it's doubtful if they are alive. Try not to make a political issue out of it.

Yes it sounds like they had two and one was found with the boat.

That is what I read. I was trying to find an update report on these two boys and one report said they found the boat 180 miles from where it originated so that is leading them to believe the two boys were headed for the Bahamas. My husband said that in a 19 ft boat if they didn't go over the waves just right it could capsize and he believes the boat capsized at night - not during the day. If it capsized at night it was pitch black and they would not have been able to see the life vests to get them & put them on. They would have been thrown from the boat. Which would have made it impossible for them to stay with the boat if they couldn't see it (at night). Still if they are strong swimmers as the parents said they were- they could still be alive but they have a navy boat, 3 coast guard boats and a plane searching and still no sign of them. Pray for the parents. They are surely in great distress right now. It's an awful thing to happen to anyone.

The way I heard it is that the step father of one of the boys said that they weren't allowed to venture on ocean waters. The boat was found upside down about a hundred miles north in the Atlantic. Rip currents are vicious and they can pull a swimmer or a boat way off course before they know it. Since they found the boat and not the boys it's doubtful if they are alive. Try not to make a political issue out of it.
One report said 180 miles out. Another report said 65 miles off Ponce Inlet. I'm hoping for a miracle here.

Who was doing that aside from you?

My husband and I prayed for these two boys today. The parents told them to stay within the bay and inlet. They didn't tell them they could go out on the open ocean. Let's take it easy on the parents. They are already in enough agony not knowing where their sons are.

God knows where these two boys are. I'm believing God for a miracle that even though their boat was found capsized they are wading water waiting to be rescued and the LORD is going to direct that rescue boat straight to them. In Jesus name, I am believing for a miracle for these two boys.

I was 14 years old once. My parents told me not to do a lot of things, too. But what these parents have been doing is tantamount to giving two kids the keys to the car and telling them not to leave the city limits. Were your parents that stupid when you were fourteen?

At fourteen they are not required to wear life jackets.

I grew up on the Gulf Coast in Florida. Nobody had parents who let their 14-year-olds out on a boat alone. There were enough ADULTS who capsized, lost control of their boats and got caught in storms. Who needs two kids with no judgment skills out there trying to do the same thing?

My ex-H bought a catamaran when we were in Mexico years ago on the Pacific Coast. He and my nephew took out on it and capsized. They clung to the hull for about 11 hours before a fisherman found them and took them to shore. A Pemex tanker spotted them and radioed in to the local authorities.

If these boys weren't hanging on to the boat or didn't swim to shore, then they most likely drowned.

Last edited:

Who is making a political issue out of it? I said their parents were stupid. I didn't say they were Republicans, now did I?

Forum List

Back