14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

I can't speak for those schools, only for ours. Our teachers were encouraged, coached, etc, on critical thinking and how to teach it. All of us were better for it.

My pastor was concerned that having students think for themselves and clearly would somehow undermine his daughter's faith. I told him that if the church and the family were doing the job they should in our communities, no one would have any worry about faith matters.
And all three have told you, if you asked, that they try to teach critical thinking. Ask them.
They would like to teach in terms of critical thinking. It is not permitted. They have no reason to make up a story like that. The bottom line is making sure the kids are prepared for testing. Reason...Test scores is where officials look when it comes to funding in the next year's budget. Test scores are what people look for when choosing a neighborhood in which to buy a home. Test scores are what are reported in the news. Test scores are the one item school board members and school administrators get to crow about. Test scores are what this state uses when rating schools with descriptors such as "School of Excellence". "Outstanding" or "Merit".

Someone should haul your pastor into the classroom and allow him to witness critical thinking. Instead it seems he has his mind made up that such a concept is negative.
Closed mindedness no matter on which side of the ideological spectrum is a bad thing. It's ok to have core beliefs and standards. Being a stick in the mud is not.

All of those are true reasons but the most relevant one is the religious far right unhappiness with evolution and critical thinking.

From what I understand, the recent increase in home schooling is due to religious objections, not educational reasons. This is due, in part, to the rise of fundamentalism in the US objecting to things like evolution.

"Fact is, the 'our schools' quite frankly just isn't how it works." If you're a product of public schools, I agree. Your grammar is atrocious. :D Just kidding!

You have to remember that public schools do more than just educate. They culturalize and socialize, turning individuals into citizens and members of our communities, both local and national. That's extremely valuable.

And as a former teacher and principal of private schools, I can tell you first-hand that they can be better AND worse than public schools. It more depends on funding, local culture, quality of parenting, and quality of instruction. Private schools do not have a lock on any of that.
Perhaps you should do a little more research. Parents remove their kids from the public schools for many reasons. Religion being just one.
These reasons include: ridiculous bus schedules, poor discipline, poor test scores, low teacher performance expectations, substandard curriculum, unresponsive school administrators.

If you want to debate an issue, stop insisting you are the only one who is correct.

Haven't said anything of the sort. But I do know what I am talking about.

All of those are true reasons but the most relevant one is the religious far right unhappiness with evolution and critical thinking.

Perhaps you should do a little more research. Parents remove their kids from the public schools for many reasons. Religion being just one.
These reasons include: ridiculous bus schedules, poor discipline, poor test scores, low teacher performance expectations, substandard curriculum, unresponsive school administrators.

If you want to debate an issue, stop insisting you are the only one who is correct.

Thank you, thereisnospoon, for bringing rationality to the discussion.

Of course problems exist in school boards and with tax payer groups and with parents good and bad.

To suggest somehow, though, that school boards are out to screw over parents and taxpayer groups, ipso facto, is simply not true. In my school board, that was not the case. My business was the one of the largest taxpayers in the counties of five adjoining school districts, and we never moved for lower rates and supported the two hikes while I was president.

I know how hard we worked, how hard our teachers worked, and how hard several bad parents made it for everybody. Still, the school districts turned out superior students for a number of years. They still do well today. They are among the few in our region.
I never stated "All" school boards. Unfortunately, where legal, school boards that have taxing authority( the ability to write and vote on budgets) show little if any accountability to the taxpayers. That is until the year before the next election.
In my home state and many others in the Northeast and some in other areas of the country, the voters decide via referendum. IMO This is the correct way to decide. It places the power to tax into the hands of the people being taxed. I can tell you this. In my home town a school budget was never voted down. Why? Because the school board knew they had to write a reasonable budget. Smooth sailing.

Wacky Facts taught in the USA

The New Deal save the US economy

Joe McCarthy's House Unamerican Activities Committee started a Red Scare and blacklisted innocent people

LBJ was a Civil Right hero

Obamacare does not cut Medicare

You most likely do know your area. However, please do not imply the reasons I listed while probable are not as 'important' as your lone reason.
I have no idea where you are. I live in the 'buckle of the Bible Belt' And i can tell you that while religion is a concern of home schooling parents, it is not the only or the main reason for home schooling.

Our tax payers had to approve the board requests for hikes or bonds, and I agree that is absolutely correct.

The board before ours learned never to lead a bond with "this is for improving athletics." Bury any sports stuff deep in the bond.

We were out of compliance in our stadium on access. Would have cost us a million or some to come into code. Every year I had to fight to make sure we had the board votes to pay the $25K fine instead, so we had $$$ for other things. We did create handicap free of charge entrance and front, level seating for those who are impaired.

Don't teach that about the ND in our districts. You are wrong about McCarthy and FDR, and that has been completely proven to you many times. I happen to agree with you on number 4, but Romney does not.

Wacky Facts taught in the USA

The New Deal save the US economy

Joe McCarthy's House Unamerican Activities Committee started a Red Scare and blacklisted innocent people

LBJ was a Civil Right hero

Obamacare does not cut Medicare

You are expressing the same rhetoric that gives the general public the perception that educators look to blame every one else for the problems that exist.
Quite frankly, the taxpayers have grown tired of the excuses and the constant demands for more in tax dollars to "fix" the problems.

how many threads do you seen on USMB blaming teachers for everything under the sun ?

Compare that to how many threads are started by teachers that blame students or parents?

I'll be waiting for your answer.

PS it's attitudes like yours that makes many teachers want to quit
That is not my concern. As matter of fact, I don't care about other threads.
I believe the number of good people involved with public education far outnumber the drones and dregs.

The point is, whining and moaning among the few and then the excuses and support of the whining and moaning get all the attention.
At the end of the day however, nobody cares anymore. The taxpayers are now demanding results and no longer want to hear excuses.
If that is unpalatable, then those who cannot cope or keep their professionalism out front, can leave teaching/administration.
For every teacher/administrator that threaten to leave the business, there are many times that number of hungry and willing to do the job and do it well.

families are moving to my school district cluster so that I can be their kid's teacher. In the end I doubt if anyone gives a fuck about your ignorant opinion anyway.

Go ahead , replace me. Make my friggin day asshole

Edit: that ^ isn't exactly true

Families are asking special permission to have their child bussed to my school so that I can be their teacher. Again, go ahead, make my friggin day

Last edited:
In my area, they aren't. But that is what I have observed generally in my region. I have no doubt that you are reporting clearly what you are seeing you region.

You most likely do know your area. However, please do not imply the reasons I listed while probable are not as 'important' as your lone reason.
I have no idea where you are. I live in the 'buckle of the Bible Belt' And i can tell you that while religion is a concern of home schooling parents, it is not the only or the main reason for home schooling.

Our tax payers had to approve the board requests for hikes or bonds, and I agree that is absolutely correct.

The board before ours learned never to lead a bond with "this is for improving athletics." Bury any sports stuff deep in the bond.

We were out of compliance in our stadium on access. Would have cost us a million or some to come into code. Every year I had to fight to make sure we had the board votes to pay the $25K fine instead, so we had $$$ for other things. We did create handicap free of charge entrance and front, level seating for those who are impaired.
Good move.. In many areas, the school board would have caved and spent the hundreds of thousands of dollars to remodel the stadium.
On athletics. This is a sore spot for me. Here in the south there is IMO far too much emphasis on school sports.
Number one. Every school, even elementary schools have athletic fields. That is ridiculous.
Every high school has to have a football stadium. Here is a comparison I have a hard time making. Where I come from less than 20% of the annual budget is spent on sports. Where I live in central NC , athletics make up well over 1/3 rd of the budget. Where I come from HS football does not start until two weeks after classes begin. Here in NC the HS football season started YESTERDAY....When do classes begin? Next Monday.
In NJ football coaches cannot be on the field with the players until the week classes begin.
If caught, the school is forced to forfeit all games that season and the offending coaches can be fined or banned from coaching.
Anyway.. If it were up to me, education and academics would get first priority no matter what. BTW, I was a HS athlete. We had no pass no play. Way back in the 70's...They are just getting to that here only recently.

how many threads do you seen on USMB blaming teachers for everything under the sun ?

Compare that to how many threads are started by teachers that blame students or parents?

I'll be waiting for your answer.

PS it's attitudes like yours that makes many teachers want to quit
I believe the number of good people involved with public education far outnumber the drones and dregs.
The point is, whining and moaning among the few and then the excuses and support of the whining and moaning get all the attention.
At the end of the day however, nobody cares anymore. The taxpayers are now demanding results and no longer want to hear excuses.
If that is unpalatable, then those who cannot cope or keep their professionalism out front, can leave teaching/administration.
For every teacher/administrator that threaten to leave the business, there are many times that number of hungry and willing to do the job and do it well.

families are moving to my school district cluster so that I can be their kid's teacher. In the end I doubt if anyone gives a fuck about your ignorant opinion anyway.

Your demeanor here which is demonstrating your intolerance to facts which controvert your point of view.
Now, please do not tell me people are selling their homes and buying in the area where you teach just so their kid can be in your classroom. Do not be ridiculous.
Now, if you want to discuss ignorance and for that matter intolerance, remember this, it was not I who decided to hurl insults. Remember that on opening day of this upcoming school year when you look into the eyes of your students. Tell them exactly what you posted here. Verbatim and uncensored. Yeah, right.
Oh, I have no say whether or not you get replaced. You will do that to yourself.
One more thing..Apparently you think my "ignorant opinion" was important enough that not only did you feel compelled to respond, you could not control yourself.
That's on you, pal.

In my area, they aren't. But that is what I have observed generally in my region. I have no doubt that you are reporting clearly what you are seeing you region.

Jake, it's been a pleasure. It is good that people on opposite sides of an issue can discuss rationally.

Your demeanor here which is demonstrating your intolerance to facts which controvert your point of view.
Now, please do not tell me people are selling their homes and buying in the area where you teach just so their kid can be in your classroom. Do not be ridiculous.
Now, if you want to discuss ignorance and for that matter intolerance, remember this, it was not I who decided to hurl insults. Remember that on opening day of this upcoming school year when you look into the eyes of your students. Tell them exactly what you posted here. Verbatim and uncensored. Yeah, right.
Oh, I have no say whether or not you get replaced. You will do that to yourself.
One more thing..Apparently you think my "ignorant opinion" was important enough that not only did you feel compelled to respond, you could not control yourself.
That's on you, pal.

what is your occupation?

Last edited:

That's on you, pal.

what is your occupation?
I drink alcohol, fondle women and I am my own boss....
What difference does it make what I do for a living? You made YOUR occupation an issue by advertising to the board what it is you do.

The parents I needed to talk to never showed up, even after calls to remind them of the open house or conferences.
The ones that showed up, I didn't really need to see them. Their kids were doing fine.

I wonder if there is a message in this.....

Sounds like expulsion should be common. Leave school for those who want an education. The Prussian model of compulsory education is a clear failure.

Actually, fascists like you Uncensored love abortions of the "unwanted."

My point is that because folks can copulate does not make them ready to be parents.

Forum List

Back