14" of New Powder in Past 24 Hours

Tom Sweetnam

Platinum Member
Aug 27, 2014
8000' up in the san juan mountain foothills
I've been shoveling snow all morning and it's still coming down. We haven't seen this much snowfall in a single 24-hour period since 2009. Why is this important? Because here in the mountains close to the Continental Divide, a significant snow mass will mean a big melt-off in the spring. That's good news for the drought-stricken Southwest since Colorado's mountains are where a lot of the Southwest's water originates.

I was down at the Jicarilla Apache Reservation in Northern New Mexico yesterday. I pulled into a market to gas up and went in to get some coffee. The girl behind the counter was an 18ish Apache cutie. She had purple and orange hair on one side of her head and she was shaved on the other side with a tattoo of a pony on her skull. Of course she sported all the mandatory lip, nose, and ear piercings that go along with being an 18 year-old in America these days. We talked about the weather (what else?). "Oh the drought's over," she said. "You think?" I said. "We know," she said. I believed her.

Apache war horses...

P1030922.JPG

Forum List

Back