12 years a slave

Well....I watched it.

I'm not sure what else to say. Except it pissed me off. A lot.

Being "pissed" isn't good for you. It hurts you more than anyone else. Living in the past isn't good for anyone either. What can anyone do about it now? Hate the descendants of slave owners? If we're going to be angry at them then we need to be angry at the black tribesmen who sold their brothers into slavery in the first place. AND we will have to be angry at the descendants of black slave owners. Holding on to resentment and hatred isn't good for anyone at any time.

I don't like leaving a theatre pissed off.

Movies are supposed to be an escape. I prefer movies that end on a positive note, not filled with anger and vengeance

Well. You gotta realize I am not black. Nor have ever been a slave. However, I have been beaten before. Badly. By the ex. And I mean punched, kicked, spit on, choked...you know. The usual.

So...with that said...and in some way it kinda goes along with why I was soooooo pissed of I was yelling at the tv.....and hubby came in to see what I was furiously cussing at...all these things have to be taken together in one bit stew pot for it to bring forth the emotion I felt watching it.

The first thing I would have done when the asshole told me to beat the girl on the post....was to take the whip, say Yessa Massa, then turn and smack him and scramble for the gun. Nobody else was around to help him. Except his scuzzy wife. NOBODY. I don't understand why they didn't fight back. I really don't. Fear. Ok. I can accept that. I was scared too. But I fought back when I saw ex coming at me with that look in his eye. I knew what was fixing to come raining down on me and I held firm, looked for a weapon I could use, and I gave him as much as he gave me. So...why did Solomon not fight? That's what pissed me off. He could have snapped that gun out of assholes hand, beat the fuck out of him, then turn the whip on the bitch wife. Who would stop him? The other slaves? They were too scared to save themselves by teaming up, much less protect Massa.

Solomon hung there for hours. Kids playing. Women wandering to and fro. And nobody..I mean NOBODY was there to stop them from cutting him down. The overseer was somewhere else. So why not help him? Fear.

I guess what I am trying to say is...yes, if they fought back, they would have been hung or beaten to death. But I'd rather die fighting back than dance in a drunks house at his demand. Kill my ass cuz if you don't, you're dead yourself sorta thing.

THAT is why it pissed me off.

When the media is able to stir the ire and emotions of the masses it has done its job. We really can't say for certain that things happen the way that Hollywood portrays. Hollywood has shows about vampires but we know that they're fictional; however, folks still get emotionally involved with the vampire shows.

I'm curious if folks would be angry with Italians from Rome if they saw a movie about Christians being burned at the stake or thrown to lions by the Roman Empire. Food for thought.

Last edited:
Well....I watched it.

Then it served it's intended purpose.

The purpose of movies like this is to, in a veiled attempt, try to make slavery real as if it just happened.

I often question what direction we are headed now. We have political leaders who seem to be gutting the middle class and then advocate for social programs that increase dependence on a way of living that is just enough to survive.

Now they tell us what doctors to see, how we are educated, what light bulbs or toilets to use etc. It's almost as if we are being given just enough to survive so that we can serve our plantation masters.

The more things change the more they seem to stay the same.

They are not the same people.

:eusa_hand:

Well. You gotta realize I am not black. Nor have ever been a slave. However, I have been beaten before. Badly. By the ex. And I mean punched, kicked, spit on, choked...you know. The usual.

So...with that said...and in some way it kinda goes along with why I was soooooo pissed of I was yelling at the tv.....and hubby came in to see what I was furiously cussing at...all these things have to be taken together in one bit stew pot for it to bring forth the emotion I felt watching it.

The first thing I would have done when the asshole told me to beat the girl on the post....was to take the whip, say Yessa Massa, then turn and smack him and scramble for the gun. Nobody else was around to help him. Except his scuzzy wife. NOBODY. I don't understand why they didn't fight back. I really don't. Fear. Ok. I can accept that. I was scared too. But I fought back when I saw ex coming at me with that look in his eye. I knew what was fixing to come raining down on me and I held firm, looked for a weapon I could use, and I gave him as much as he gave me. So...why did Solomon not fight? That's what pissed me off. He could have snapped that gun out of assholes hand, beat the fuck out of him, then turn the whip on the bitch wife. Who would stop him? The other slaves? They were too scared to save themselves by teaming up, much less protect Massa.

Solomon hung there for hours. Kids playing. Women wandering to and fro. And nobody..I mean NOBODY was there to stop them from cutting him down. The overseer was somewhere else. So why not help him? Fear.

I guess what I am trying to say is...yes, if they fought back, they would have been hung or beaten to death. But I'd rather die fighting back than dance in a drunks house at his demand. Kill my ass cuz if you don't, you're dead yourself sorta thing.

When the media is able to stir the ire and emotions of the masses it has done its job. We really can't say for certain that things happen the way that Hollywood portrays. Hollywood has shows about vampires but we know that they're fictional; however, folks still get emotionally involved with the vampire shows.

I'm curious if folks would be angry with Italians for Rome if they saw a movie about Christians being burned at the stake or thrown to lions. Food for thought.

Yeah..that was a bad time for Christians.

Boy did they get revenge for that..and how.

Bloodiest religion..ever.

I'm curious if folks would be angry with Italians from Rome if they saw a movie about Christians being burned at the stake or thrown to lions by the Roman Empire. Food for thought.

Vampires get a bad rap.

Well....I watched it.

Being "pissed" isn't good for you. It hurts you more than anyone else. Living in the past isn't good for anyone either. What can anyone do about it now? Hate the descendants of slave owners? If we're going to be angry at them then we need to be angry at the black tribesmen who sold their brothers into slavery in the first place. AND we will have to be angry at the descendants of black slave owners. Holding on to resentment and hatred isn't good for anyone at any time.

Movies are supposed to be an escape. I prefer movies that end on a positive note, not filled with anger and vengeance

All of them?

Since when? :doubt:

Fighting back in those days was dangerous. My wife's brother had to leave town because the Crackers (Southern Democrats) in town didn't like the fact that he had a pretty wife.
My wife has been told several times by blacks that she should stick to her kind. She said to hell with that. Getting a beating by her former spouse every time the prick got in a fight with his gf was bullshit.

Last edited:
What Hollywood puts in their movies about slavery today is in some ways inflammatory and historically not correct.

Certainly there was terrible injustice, torture, and death suffered by slaves, but it is overblown by Hollywood to incite hate and white guilt in Americans today.

Owning slaves was expensive for the slave owner. Generally...slave owners treated their slaves well because not doing so, cost them money. They viewed slaves as their property and humans generally take care of their property no matter what that property consists of.

Now commence the name calling.

What Hollywood puts in their movies about slavery today is in some ways inflammatory and historically not correct.

Certainly there was terrible injustice, torture, and death suffered by slaves, but it is overblown by Hollywood to incite hate and white guilt in Americans today.

Owning slaves was expensive for the slave owner. Generally...slave owners treated their slaves well because not doing so, cost them money. They viewed slaves as their property and humans generally take care of their property no matter what that property consists of.

Exactly!! That's why every few years they need to put out another movie on the subject. It keeps the strife and division alive. The worst part about it is that Americans fall for it time after time after time after time after time after time. Everyone gets all riled up and emotional. The finger pointing starts all over again and the resentments are re-kindled.

It's the American version of Pavlov's Dog (in a sense).

No name calling from me. Yes, many treated their slaves very well. They were an investment..just like having a good stable of horses. Beat the horse, the horse can't pull a plow or a fancy carriage. However, some treated them extremely bad. And yes..Hollywood needs to focus on those that did treat them well.

I refuse to discuss this with Tank. He is a bigot, racist, and pretty fucking dumb.

Tank's unique.

He's completely honest about his racism.

Seldom makes personal attacks and at least attempts to justify his position with some historical evidence.

I may hate his politics, but he seems like an okay fellow.

LOL hardly. He denies it at every turn.

Well....I watched it.

12 Years A Slave DID end on a positive note. He escaped captivity and returned to his family. Nothing negative about that.

Now for those who are "pissed off" that the movie was even made, or that it won Best Picture...:)eek:)

Different story.

Right?

Last edited:

12 Years A Slave DID end on a positive note. He escaped captivity and returned to his family. Nothing negative about that.

Now for those who are "pissed off" that the movie was even made, or that it won Best Picture...:)eek:)

Different story.

Right?

So did Passion of the Christ.

It's difficult to sit through that you know.

I'd rather pay to see "The Princess Bride".

The sooner slavery is forgotten the better.

Last edited:
Ever hear the personal stories of people who survived places like Auschwitz and Buchenwald, and what they actually did and what they suffered to survive?

Of course. There is alot in history that is awful.
That's true. But the focus of this type of movie is usually on the negative while ignoring the positive, which was true until the movies, Schindler's List and The Pianist were released to soften the brainwash by reminding the world that not all Germans were psychopathic sadists.

I recently watched Roots for the first time and I must say it took a while to realize it isn't a comedy. Of course slavery was a detestable institution every aspect of which is and should be offensive to contemporary consciousness. But it's time a movie was made about those Whites who sacrificed and who jeopardized their own safety and security to promote abolition of slavery and who participated in the Underground Railroad. Because I have no doubt movies like Roots serve mainly to promote hatred of Whites in the collective mind of contemporary Blacks and leads to gratuitous attacks on innocent White people.

I refuse to discuss this with Tank. He is a bigot, racist, and pretty fucking dumb.

Tank's unique.

He's completely honest about his racism.

Seldom makes personal attacks and at least attempts to justify his position with some historical evidence.

I may hate his politics, but he seems like an okay fellow.

Someone else told me this as well so I gave him a second look. Trouble is, at first glance, he's so racist that you begin to feel he's psychotic. Most people just blow him off.

My impression of Tank is he doesn't care for Blacks but he would not go out of his way to harm them or behave cruelly toward them, which is the important thing. If he's a "racist," so what. He has a right to be. As far as his commentary here is concerned, I often find him as funny as some of the Black tv comedians who constantly deride White people.

Tank is honest. How many others aren't?

It is precisely because most of what is put out there about slavery is made-up nonsense that this book and production can be valuable. This was a guy who actually lived through it, but was able to see it as an outsider, since he was born into it.

What is difficult to get a grip on the gratuitous violence and brutality. It must have taken place but how bad was it? Were slaves routinely whipped, only for significant infractions, or something else (recognizing that every plantation was somewhat different).

It doesn't make logical sense that owners would physically injure slaves routinely because they were significant capital assets, worth several years wages for a typical farmworker. But obviously I don't know what the reality was. Maybe the people who were hired as overseers were sadistic by nature. That wouldn't be surprising.

The problem with all historical issues of this nature is the inevitable factor of exaggeration and the effect it produces. Add to this the fact that most of the Black African slaves who ended up in America initially were sold to European slave traders by other Black Africans.

So White Americans were not exclusively responsible for the great historical crime of slavery. Nor were all White Americans involved in or approving of the practice. In fact many Whites were vigorously opposed to it. But we rarely hear about them.

Forum List

Back