12 things you need to know about the prodigal son

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
12 things you need to know about the Prodigal Son

Have you ever met someone in so much pain that you had to step out of your normal role in life and reach out to them and try to give them comfort?

I was in that situation one day as I sat in my law office with a young Hispanic woman, she was in her young 20's and the look on her face was of tragedy and grief almost beyond consolation.

She was there to sign an affidavit that she did not have financial resources beyond the limits of a $50,000 per person/$100,000 per accident automobile policy. The reason she was signing this is because she had been involved in an automobile accident that had caused two vehicles with four elderly people to have a high-speed head-on collision, killing all four. And it had been determined that the accident was her fault.

She was not my client. The insurance company was my client and I was preparing the affidavit on their behalf, to protect THEM from the possibility that the plaintiffs would continue the lawsuit and expose the young lady to an excess verdict. When there is an excess verdict, there is a high likelihood that the insurance company will be forced to pay it, so there is an incentive to settle out of court. A deal had been struck that when the young lady signed the affidavit, the plaintiffs (relatives of the four decedents) would settle for policy limits and divvy up the $100,000 among them. And she would be left alone, not forced to pay anything beyond policy limits.

I typed up the affidavit, with her giving me her financial information to prove that she had no assets beyond the limits of the policy, no real estate, no stocks, no bonds. I did not owe this young lady anything in the way of legal advice, other than to take her information and to tell her where to sign on the form.

But I decided to go beyond my role as some other party's attorney requesting a stranger to sign a legal form. I asked her if she was Catholic, because most Hispanics are. She said, yes. So I told her something that I felt she desperately needed to hear. That God, no matter what any of us has done, loves us, and there is nothing, NOTHING, we can do to lose that love. And that God loves her, and forgives her, no matter what she has done.

She broke down and cried, and I hope that those tears sprang from hope rather than despair, and I think they did. It was all I could do. I don't think a person ever fully recovers from something like this. But I hope that where ever she is, she has taken these words to heart, and allowed God's love and forgiveness to fill her heart and heal her.

Last edited:
Legend has it that after he received and squandered his share of the father's estate...

... he was the one who asked Jesus to command his older brother...

... to divide the remainder of the estate with himself.

Legend has it that after he received and squandered his share of the father's estate...

That sounds like a plan

Have you ever met someone in so much pain that you had to step out of your normal role in life and reach out to them and try to give them comfort?

I was in that situation one day as I sat in my law office with a young Hispanic woman, she was in her young 20's and the look on her face was of tragedy and grief almost beyond consolation.

She was there to sign an affidavit that she did not have financial resources beyond the limits of a $50,000 per person/$100,000 per accident automobile policy. The reason she was signing this is because she had been involved in an automobile accident that had caused two vehicles with four elderly people to have a high-speed head-on collision, killing all four. And it had been determined that the accident was her fault.

She was not my client. The insurance company was my client and I was preparing the affidavit on their behalf, to protect THEM from the possibility that the plaintiffs would continue the lawsuit and expose the young lady to an excess verdict. When there is an excess verdict, there is a high likelihood that the insurance company will be forced to pay it, so there is an incentive to settle out of court. A deal had been struck that when the young lady signed the affidavit, the plaintiffs (relatives of the four decedents) would settle for policy limits and divvy up the $100,000 among them. And she would be left alone, not forced to pay anything beyond policy limits.

I typed up the affidavit, with her giving me her financial information to prove that she had no assets beyond the limits of the policy, no real estate, no stocks, no bonds. I did not owe this young lady anything in the way of legal advice, other than to take her information and to tell her where to sign on the form.

But I decided to go beyond my role as some other party's attorney requesting a stranger to sign a legal form. I asked her if she was Catholic, because most Hispanics are. She said, yes. So I told her something that I felt she desperately needed to hear. That God, no matter what any of us has done, loves us, and there is nothing, NOTHING, we can do to lose that love. And that God loves her, and forgives her, no matter what she has done.

She broke down and cried, and I hope that those tears sprang from hope rather than despair, and I think they did. It was all I could do. I don't think a person ever fully recovers from something like this. But I hope that where ever she is, she has taken these words to heart, and allowed God's love and forgiveness to fill her heart and heal her.

I'm sure it was a comfort to her , if anything can be. I wonder why she didn't receive negligence manslaughter or some criminal sentence.

The problem with the legend is that story of the Prodigal Son was a parable, not an actual event. The one who asked Jesus to command his older brother to share the estate was an actual event.

I'm sure it was a comfort to her , if anything can be. I wonder why she didn't receive negligence manslaughter or some criminal sentence.
Criminal charges may have been brought against the young lady, but I was not filled in on this aspect of the case.

Meriwether...

... sometimes Jesus' parables...

... were based on actual events...

... a current commentary at the time, so to speak.

Meriwether...

... sometimes Jesus' parables...

... were based on actual events...

... a current commentary at the time, so to speak.

Absolutely--based on, but not actual. 'Based on', but not fact, is the stuff of legends as well. Keep in mind that Luke placed the incident of the younger brother who wanted Jesus to tell his older brother to share the inheritance before he wrote of the Parable of the Prodigal Son. And don't get me wrong: It delights me that a theory or legend that the story and the incident are related. It is something definitely worth musing over.

Here is another possibility in Luke Chapter 6: Jesus is telling the crowd to give to everyone who asks of you, and don't demand it back. Consider the possibility of a Little Bro who knows that his older sibling has a good opinion of Jesus and listens to him. He decides to put them both on the spot: "Jesus, tell my brother to share his inheritance."

Or, what about the rich young man who asked Jesus what more he could do to inherit eternal life. Jesus told him to give everything to the poor. What if this young man had an even younger brother who wanted to share his wealth?

All make good possibilities, and something to think over, don't they? Even more interesting is that Jesus refuses to get in the middle with those who are requesting money, especially trying to request money based on a slight twist of his teachings.

Jesus was not a properly appointed legal authority to decide squabbles between brothers on their inheritance, and would have squandered his spiritual authority to get involved in temporal affairs. It is important to keep in mind that he made no challenge to the Roman authorities, or to Roman laws, or Roman taxation, the Gospels make that clear, over and over.

Forum List

Back