12 Inconvenient Truths About American Higher Education

12 Inconvenient Truths About American Higher Education Innovations - Blogs - The Chronicle of Higher Education
The old article but very up-to-date one.
I think the problem is, people are looking to colleges for jobs or as training schools when we should be looking at them as just centers for knowledge. don't blame the schools for no jobs. blame the economy. It shouldn't be their responsibility to get you a job.

The article is spot on. Higher education is supposed to advance American society, but instead it is destroying it. My cousin told me to send her daughter to U of I costs her $50K a year. Her daughter is taking out loans to cover $40K of it. After 4 years (granted she graduates on time) it will cost her $160K!

Our children are going to be slaves to the government.

nconvenient Truth #1: College Costs Are Rising Both for Students and Society

We all know that tuition fees, adjusted for inflation, are rising a lot over time, even after allowing for tuition discounting. More important, higher education absorbs more than triple the share of the nation’s productive efforts than it did when John F. Kennedy was president. College costs to individuals are rising faster than incomes, not a sustainable phenomenon.

you can thank grants for that
when they know the Fed will pay them, no matter how much they charge, they will

Inconvenient Truth #3: Increased College Spending No Longer Usually Enhances Economic Growth

The law of diminishing returns is working–in most doses spending on higher education has a growth pay-off, but too much of it takes resources from productive, market disciplined economic actors and reallocates to a less efficient university sector that, at the margin, does not use the resources terribly productively.

is he saying leftist don't know how to manage money?!

That's racist! D:

Inconvenient Truth #6: Most Students Do Not Graduate on Time

More full-time students entering college fail to graduate within the four-year traditional span than do so. Nationally, at least 40 percent fail to graduate in six years. Dropout rates are scandalously high, especially in public institutions. Again, this probably reflects the marginal preparation of many students as much as or more than financial constraints.

so public schools fail to prepare kids for college

quell surprise

Inconvenient Truth #7: Colleges Hide (or Don’t Collect) Vital Consumer Information

Did Sam Houston State University have a good year in 2011? Who knows? We don’t know whether seniors know more than freshman, whether the students are engaged in their college activities, or whether they fare well after graduation as measured by post-graduate earnings. Moreover, some internal scandals are often largely hidden from students and sometimes even trustees. Transparency is lacking, big time.

and obama learned to be transparent in college

the irony, the sweat delicious irony

Inconvenient Truth #8: Colleges Often Restrict Freedom of Expression

Colleges are supposed to be havens for the free expression of ideas, but political correctness has led some administrations to ban certain types of expression that are permitted in society at large. Intellectual diversity is also restricted by the fact that faculty in many policy-oriented academic areas at most schools have a predominantly leftish orientation, so alternative points of view receive a less extensive hearing by students.

bigotry and censorship are leftist traits, but we've known this for years, they are happy to do this, they can't stand debate.

Inconvenient Truth #11: Federal Student Financial Aid Doesn’t Work

Originally federal aid was designed to increase access by those with low incomes, but the proportion of low-income students amongst new college graduates is lower today than in 1970–before Pell Grants even began and federal student loans were in their infancy. Huge portions of aid go to moderately affluent students who would attend college without the assistance.

:rofl:

making it worse by making it worse :lol:

Ask yourself: Do we all have to go to college? No. Must we all have a "career" where we sell our labor to a "job creator"? No. Once we learn these two truths, we can change. Until then, we are the rat running in the wheel.... Do not make your life too difficult. You have only one.

Ask yourself: Do we all have to go to college? No. Must we all have a "career" where we sell our labor to a "job creator"? No. Once we learn these two truths, we can change. Until then, we are the rat running in the wheel.... Do not make your life too difficult. You have only one.
Does everyone need to earn a living?

yes, or your a fucking leech that sucks the life out of people that do work.

I'll tell my 86 year old Mother in law to get off her dead ass and get a job...

No matter where you go to college, when you graduate and get a job you get to learn the correct whey to do the job hired for....
The problem that is causing higher education to be high on cost...Corporations are requiring you to get degrees for what was once OJT. I saw a receptionist job that required a bachelors degree...

Not everyone goes to college....
go into business yourself and earn more and negotiate with yourself for wages.....

Originally federal aid was designed to increase access by those with low incomes, but the proportion of low-income students amongst new college graduates is lower today than in 1970–before Pell Grants even began and federal student loans were in their infancy. Huge portions of aid go to moderately affluent students who would attend college without the assistance.

Pell Grants have been cut so bad you thought it was a whittle stick...I was in college at OU, it was 21 dollars a credit hour and that also included the health services fee of 2 dollars.....This was 1984....I got out of the Army and went to U of Ark.. It was 60 bucks an hour, that was 1989... Iwent again in 1997, it was 17 an hour at a community college.....

Pell Grants have been cut so bad you thought it was a whittle stick...I was in college at OU, it was 21 dollars a credit hour and that also included the health services fee of 2 dollars.....This was 1984....I got out of the Army and went to U of Ark.. It was 60 bucks an hour, that was 1989... Iwent again in 1997, it was 17 an hour at a community college.....

95 dollars per hour + a shit tons of fees per credit hour for me. Won't even give me the goddamn Fafsa. :( College these days cost a shit ton and that is why so many people are deep in debt.

I'll tell my 86 year old Mother in law to get off her dead ass and get a job...
she earned a living

so suck me off and lotion your face

Inconvenient Truth #6: Most Students Do Not Graduate on Time

More full-time students entering college fail to graduate within the four-year traditional span than do so. Nationally, at least 40 percent fail to graduate in six years. Dropout rates are scandalously high, especially in public institutions. Again, this probably reflects the marginal preparation of many students as much as or more than financial constraints.

so public schools fail to prepare kids for college

quell surprise

Is "probably" a scientific term?

If you don't get that piece of paper, then your job choices are limited. Even manufacturing jobs are requiring the piece of paper.

Program Sweet Pea

ESL (English-as-a-Second-Language) programs in high school promote people to think more progressively about the merits of proactive multi-culturalism initiatives in American schools.

Such thinking affects how we view issues such as the racial composition in college fraternities and sororities.

Dialogue about these topics will impact how we connect education with capitalism in the United States!

:afro:

Forum List

Back