1 in 68 kids diagnosed with autism

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOldSchool

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
last stop for sanity before reaching the south
Awareness and improvements in diagnosis have certainly contributed to this... but there must be something else going on. There are records dating back at least hundreds, maybe thousands, of years describing individuals who today may have been diagnosed with autism. Why does it seem to be more prevalent now?

Every two years, researchers count how many 8-year-olds have autism in about a dozen communities across the nation. (The number of sites had ranged from six to 14 over the years, depending on the available funding in a given year.)
In 2000 and 2002, the autism estimate was about 1 in 150 children. Two years later 1 in 125 8-year-olds was believed to have autism. In 2006, the number grew to 1 in 110, and then the number went up to 1 in 88 based on 2008 data.
Boyle acknowledges these statistics are not necessarily representative of the entire United States because the information is drawn from 11 states, not a national cross-section.

However, experts such as Wiznitzer and Goldstein are concerned that the new CDC report is not describing the same autism that was present and diagnosed 20 years ago, when the numbers first shot up.
"Twenty years ago we thought of autism with intellectual disability. We never looked at children who had normal intelligence" -- doctors never considered that high-functioning children had autism too, says Goldstein.
Wiznitzer believes written reports can't definitively determine whether a child has autism. You need to see the child to complete a diagnosis, which the CDC experts did not have the opportunity to do.

CDC: 1 in 68 U.S. children has autism - CNN.com

US autism estimate rises to 1 in 68 children - The Washington Post

Autism Estimate Grows to 1 in 68 U.S. Children - WSJ.com

Awareness and improvements in diagnosis have certainly contributed to this... but there must be something else going on. There are records dating back at least hundreds, maybe thousands, of years describing individuals who today may have been diagnosed with autism. Why does it seem to be more prevalent now?

Every two years, researchers count how many 8-year-olds have autism in about a dozen communities across the nation. (The number of sites had ranged from six to 14 over the years, depending on the available funding in a given year.)
In 2000 and 2002, the autism estimate was about 1 in 150 children. Two years later 1 in 125 8-year-olds was believed to have autism. In 2006, the number grew to 1 in 110, and then the number went up to 1 in 88 based on 2008 data.
Boyle acknowledges these statistics are not necessarily representative of the entire United States because the information is drawn from 11 states, not a national cross-section.

However, experts such as Wiznitzer and Goldstein are concerned that the new CDC report is not describing the same autism that was present and diagnosed 20 years ago, when the numbers first shot up.
"Twenty years ago we thought of autism with intellectual disability. We never looked at children who had normal intelligence" -- doctors never considered that high-functioning children had autism too, says Goldstein.
Wiznitzer believes written reports can't definitively determine whether a child has autism. You need to see the child to complete a diagnosis, which the CDC experts did not have the opportunity to do.

They are including just about any learning impediment as now being some form of autism. Most of these kids with so called "autism" have very minor issues. They are not autistic as we would think of a child being autistic.

Autism: 1 in 88 Children Diagnosed, but Is Increase Real? | TIME.com

Half the population is allergic to wheat, Autism, ADD, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Low T. Someone needs to get these idiots under control.

• Banned

They are including just about any learning impediment as now being some form of autism. Most of these kids with so called "autism" have very minor issues. They are not autistic as we would think of a child being autistic.

That article is talking about hop greater awareness and a broadening definition of what autism is is the main cause for rise. That certainly will account for a significant percentage of the rise. The definition of "Autism" was officially changed last May when the DSM-IV was published. In my time I've found the diagnosis of autism in kids to be accurate in almost every case I've worked with. 15 years ago the strange kid in the class with zero social skills and below average academic skills but who could be pushed through the system would have had no support. Now they do.

What I'm more interested in is the reason for the increase in percentage of kids that has nothing to with awareness or the definition. I'd like to see a more thorough study on that.

I agree...I just don't know that many kids with autism to support a 1 in 68 number

I have known just a few in my whole life.

• Banned

I agree...I just don't know that many kids with autism to support a 1 in 68 number

Well do you know 68 kids? It's more prevalent than most people think because these individuals are overwhelmingly not integrated with the rest of society.

I heard those figures and it's hard to believe. It is possible that they expanded the definition of autism to include dyslexic kids or maybe even left handed kids who find it hard to function in a right hand world. When big federal dollars are involved it doesn't matter if a kid is unfairly diagnosed and it follows him for life.

Well do you know 68 kids? It's more prevalent than most people think because these individuals are overwhelmingly not integrated with the rest of society.

I look at the kids I knew growing up and their brothers and sisters and I knew a few who were retarded but none that have autism. Since then I look at my kids and their friends as well as kids in the 4H and scouts and their brothers and sisters. I have worked with a couple of people who had autistic children.
I think 1-68 is a reflection of an expanded definition of autism maybe to include auspergers syndrome.

Last edited:

I look at the kids I knew growing up and their brothers and sisters and I knew a few who were retarded but none that have autism. Since then I look at my kids and their friends as well as kids in the 4H and their brothers and sisters. I have worked with a couple of people who had autistic children.
I think 1-68 is a reflection of an expanded definition of autism maybe to include auspergers syndrome.

Aspberger's has been absorbed by autism yes.

I heard those figures and it's hard to believe. It is possible that they expanded the definition of autism to include dyslexic kids or maybe even left handed kids who find it hard to function in a right hand world. When big federal dollars are involved it doesn't matter if a kid is unfairly diagnosed and it follows him for life.

There are not "big" federal dollars involved in autism.

Federal funding was only just added to helping families purchase tracking devices for these kids. Which is about the most minimal step ever.

I had heard a while back that it was 1 in 100,000
That number floored me.I don't have kids but if I was in a relationship and looking to have a child
I would be scared out of my mind at that number....

I still think it has somoething to do with the vaccinations.
There were a few people in the NYC area that have been saying that high levels of mercury in these vaccinations that were used as a preservative are the cause.

The number should be 1 in a million might get it not 1 in 100,000...
One in 68.... good Lord.

by my diagnostic count on this board it is 1 in 6 posters who is retarded and/or on the spectrum.
i hope i am right, because if not, there is no excuse for the shit that is posted by said posters.

I look at the kids I knew growing up and their brothers and sisters and I knew a few who were retarded but none that have autism. Since then I look at my kids and their friends as well as kids in the 4H and their brothers and sisters. I have worked with a couple of people who had autistic children.

I have worked with a few people with Aspergers. They may have some social issues but are fully functional

I have worked with a few people with Aspergers. They may have some social issues but are fully functional

Some of them are. I've met many who required heavy support.

Some of them are. I've met many who required heavy support.

I appreciate what parents of children with autism go through but I don't think inflating the number of children with autism to one in eighty six helps them. I have dealt with people with Aspergers and they are not Rain Man.
Autism is a serious issue, but trying to inflate the numbers does not help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back