Florida retiree finds out he's not a U.S. citizen only when Social Security benefits denied

What biden could do is grant him immediate citizenship

Going through proper channels of course only expedited

Then he would qualify for SS

I heard of this yesterday and found it interesting.

Jimmy Klass a Florida 66-year-old man born in Canada, moved with his parents to the United States 64 years ago. He only found out that he's an illegal citizen when the Social Security administration (which he paid into his entire working life) denies his retirement benefits.

His father was American, but the SSA requires proof that his father lived in the U.S. for at least 10 years before Jimmy's birth. As with Klass, all other U.S. agencies he dealt with over these past 60+ years had no idea of his citizenship status.

Jeez, talk about falling between the cracks of government bureaucracy. This guy needs a good lawyer.

“I just was, like, blindsided,” he said about the revelation.
That's not the way I understand SS. I thought that as long as you paid in, you got a check, whether you are a citizen or not.

I heard of this yesterday and found it interesting.

Jimmy Klass a Florida 66-year-old man born in Canada, moved with his parents to the United States 64 years ago. He only found out that he's an illegal citizen when the Social Security administration (which he paid into his entire working life) denies his retirement benefits.

His father was American, but the SSA requires proof that his father lived in the U.S. for at least 10 years before Jimmy's birth. As with Klass, all other U.S. agencies he dealt with over these past 60+ years had no idea of his citizenship status.

Jeez, talk about falling between the cracks of government bureaucracy. This guy needs a good lawyer.

“I just was, like, blindsided,” he said about the revelation.
Canada will pick up the tab on this, for the rest of his life.

And our health care system will take care of his mental health issues due to pouting too.

That's not the way I understand SS. I thought that as long as you paid in, you got a check, whether you are a citizen or not.

I'm not up on the laws and so I've been checking things out. This is what I found posted on SSA's FAQ site:

Lawfully present noncitizens of the United States who meet all eligibility requirements can qualify for Social Security benefits. This rule also applies to noncitizens authorized to work in the United States who got a Social Security number after December 2003. ( KA-02447 )

SSA determined he is not a lawful citizen and thus must meet all eligibility requirements, which they determined he hasn't.

He had a SS number. Interesting.
I think that about settles it.
Except that some--mainly illegals--use other people's social security number or make one up out of whole cloth. Working work comp claims for undocumented workers I found some using numerous variations of names and addresses (most addresses were non existent) and up to four or five different social security numbers on medical records scattered around the country.

Except that some--mainly illegals--use other people's social security number or make one up out of whole cloth. Working work comp claims for undocumented workers I found some using numerous variations of names and addresses (most addresses were non existent) and up to four or five different social security numbers on medical records scattered around the country.
That's what I don't understand. And I haven't worked with illegal aliens since before Reagan. LOL

But even if they have a fake soc sec number .... aren't their paychecks docked for payroll taxes.

I'm not in favor of illegal immigration (disclaimer)

That's what I don't understand. And I haven't worked with illegal aliens since before Reagan. LOL

But even if they have a fake soc sec number .... aren't their paychecks docked for payroll taxes.

I'm not in favor of illegal immigration (disclaimer)
Yes and I don't know what happens to the money submitted.

Some think it a good thing that illegals are using their social security numbers and paying into their social security account. But they seriously need to think about that. Those social security numbers are required to get certified driver's licenses in many (maybe most or all?) states, to open a bank account, to take out a mortgage, on health records etc. etc. etc. And one day you who believed that you have stellar credit and reputation find yourself involved in a bankruptcy or criminal activity or lawsuit or put on a sex offender's list or no fly list or you're in trouble with the IRS by virtue of your social security number attached to some bad acts.

Identity theft is a major problem these days and the SSA is wise to check the credentials of those drawing social security. And again if the info in the OP is accurate, it seems they likely made a mistake in that case and should reevaluate.

Forum List

Back