Florida retiree finds out he's not a U.S. citizen only when Social Security benefits denied

my2¢

So it goes
May 14, 2010
Arizona's Maricopa County
I heard of this yesterday and found it interesting.

Jimmy Klass a Florida 66-year-old man born in Canada, moved with his parents to the United States 64 years ago. He only found out that he's an illegal citizen when the Social Security administration (which he paid into his entire working life) denies his retirement benefits.

His father was American, but the SSA requires proof that his father lived in the U.S. for at least 10 years before Jimmy's birth. As with Klass, all other U.S. agencies he dealt with over these past 60+ years had no idea of his citizenship status.

Jeez, talk about falling between the cracks of government bureaucracy. This guy needs a good lawyer.

“I just was, like, blindsided,” he said about the revelation.

Jimmy Klass a Florida 66-year-old man born in Canada, moved with his parents to the United States 64 years ago. He only found out that he's an illegal citizen when the Social Security administration (which he paid into his entire working life) denies his retirement benefits.

His father was American, but the SSA requires proof that his father lived in the U.S. for at least 10 years before Jimmy's birth. As with Klass, all other U.S. agencies he dealt with over these past 60+ years had no idea of his citizenship status.

Jeez, talk about falling between the cracks of government bureaucracy. This guy needs a good lawyer.

deport his ass.

Okay. When did his father move to Canada?

How did he just find out? How do you go your whole life without a social security number? I smell bullshit.
The OP says he paid into social security his entire working life so he obviously had a social security card. What the snafu was I don't know but he does need to challenge the decision. My sister was two when my mother divorced her father and little older than that when my mother remarried to my father. My father never adopted her however but she went from age three on with his name and not her own name. Further she went via her middle name and that middle name and my father's name is all that was on her social security card, all her church and school records, her marriage certificate, all her professional career. We thought she would have hell drawing social security when the time came but they put her right through the system.

If the information on this guy is accurate, he probably has a good case for appeal.

Last edited:
Ok, that may be true

The story has not given us all the facts

But I assume that he has a SSN and paid in to it all these years
I went back and read further. He had a drivers license, social security number etc.

The OP says he paid into social security his entire working life so he obviously had a social security card.
I'm too old to get them now, as I'm a SS recipient. But before "aging out" I got mail from Soc Sec "estimating" what my benefits would be. I wonder if he got any of those. It's still a questionable tale, but ..... who knows.

So the pinheads in government were happy to take his money
Well that is what we do with illegal aliens isn't it? Even if they have some kind of way around the everify, they pay soc sec taxes, but never get the benefit. (this isn't a reason to be ok with illegal workers)

Well that is what we do with illegal aliens isn't it? Even if they have some kind of way around the everify, they pay soc sec taxes, but never get the benefit. (this isn't a reason to be ok with illegal workers)
I sure hope so

But libs seem to do everything backwards so I wont bet the rent money on it

We are spending billions supporting a million criminal illegal aliens but the son of an American citizen who worked all his life is denied Social security. Go figure

I'm too old to get them now, as I'm a SS recipient. But before "aging out" I got mail from Soc Sec "estimating" what my benefits would be. I wonder if he got any of those. It's still a questionable tale, but ..... who knows.
Yeah, I learned a long time ago that you can't believe a whole bunch of stuff that's on the internet. :)

Forum List

Back