York teen 'failed' by Children's Aid, says report into her death

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
RIP.

When you have a system of nepotism and abusers, it is the most vulnerable, especially the young; who are exploited and or disregarded. Little more than trash to the system of "elite government officials". Anyone lose their job? Of course not, this is the Establishment. In every government corner is a little cabal of career family government operatives.

I was thrown out of my house around the same time and had to basically confront a lying government official when she wouldn't offer me assistance. I would have literally been living on the streets as a teen and I was for a short period of time, in fact, bouncing around, finding staircases etc.

Now I didn't face what she faced I presume, but regardless, any society worth its weight assists those who need it, especially those who cannot fend for themselves. Just as the police always add "new training" and "assessments", nothing changes. You can't alter poor character of those in positions of power who don't give a flying F.

Despicable and quite expected from those of us in the know.

York Region Children's Aid Society (CAS) failed to respect the rights of a 16-year-old girl who repeatedly asked for a foster placement before she died, the Ontario Ombudsman found in a report released Monday.

The teen, who the report refers to as "Mia," died suddenly in January 2020 after she asked the children's aid society to place her in a foster home when she was "kicked out" of her mother's house in September 2019.

Ombudsman Paul Dubé said it was a "dire situation" that he hopes can be prevented.

"She was desperate to have security and stability in her life, and she wanted to finish high school," Dubé told CBC Toronto. "What this report does is tell the story of a vulnerable girl who was failed by the child welfare system."

Mia turned to child protection services, citing significant concerns with staying with family members. The report pointed to instances of abuse within family homes, including sexual assault and a sibling who had been taken into care in 2015.

RIP.

When you have a system of nepotism and abusers, it is the most vulnerable, especially the young; who are exploited and or disregarded. Little more than trash to the system of "elite government officials". Anyone lose their job? Of course not, this is the Establishment. In every government corner is a little cabal of career family government operatives.

I was thrown out of my house around the same time and had to basically confront a lying government official when she wouldn't offer me assistance. I would have literally been living on the streets as a teen and I was for a short period of time, in fact, bouncing around, finding staircases etc.

Now I didn't face what she faced I presume, but regardless, any society worth its weight assists those who need it, especially those who cannot fend for themselves. Just as the police always add "new training" and "assessments", nothing changes. You can't alter poor character of those in positions of power who don't give a flying F.

Despicable and quite expected from those of us in the know.

York Region Children's Aid Society (CAS) failed to respect the rights of a 16-year-old girl who repeatedly asked for a foster placement before she died, the Ontario Ombudsman found in a report released Monday.

The teen, who the report refers to as "Mia," died suddenly in January 2020 after she asked the children's aid society to place her in a foster home when she was "kicked out" of her mother's house in September 2019.

Ombudsman Paul Dubé said it was a "dire situation" that he hopes can be prevented.

"She was desperate to have security and stability in her life, and she wanted to finish high school," Dubé told CBC Toronto. "What this report does is tell the story of a vulnerable girl who was failed by the child welfare system."

Mia turned to child protection services, citing significant concerns with staying with family members. The report pointed to instances of abuse within family homes, including sexual assault and a sibling who had been taken into care in 2015.
You're appealing to mostly Americans who don't believe there should be any 'child welfare system'.

Forum List

Back