‘Someone’s going to get hurt’: Radio calls captured tragic moments leading up to wrong-way police chase on Highway 401 in Whitby

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Recall I had this discussion on here with some of you and I said "why not just take the plates and video surveillance and visit them at their home and avoid a high speed chase?"

Some of the video can be found online, it is insane to see a cop car chasing a booze stealing idiot INTO ONCOMING TRAFFIC ON THE BUSIEST HIGHWAY IN THE COUNTRY!

this was just outside Toronto, the police chased this car at high speed, on the most busy highway in Canada going the wrong way into traffic. 4 People were killed including a young kid. What did the loogan steal? A couple of bottles of booze.

This is horrible judgement and many Canadians are outraged. There have been a series of really scandalous stories, from police lying in court which could have put a man in prison for life, to top police chiefs being fired for "deception", others being caught lying about beating a man when it was caught on video. On and on.

It is not a good look. We need the right kinds of people in positions of authority, not people willing to put publics lives at risk for a few dollars worth of booze.

Audio recordings captured the chaotic moments leading up to a crash that killed four people, including an infant on Highway 401 in Whitby after a police chase Monday evening.

At least six Durham police vehicles were seen pursuing the U-Haul van in the wrong direction just before it crashed, audio of police radio calls reviewed by the Star shows.

“If we can pass on, just want to make sure the Durham sergeant’s aware that they’re driving the opposite direction,” an unidentified OPP officer says to dispatch.

“Someone’s going to get hurt.”
“10-4,” the dispatcher says. “We’re calling them now.”
Timestamped just before 8 p.m. the calls reflect the incident from the perspective of emergency services as Durham officers chased after a suspect. The Ontario Provincial Police Whitby highway patrol radio calls as well as Durham EMS dispatchers and paramedics were recorded by civilian radio enthusiasts and posted online.

According to the Special Investigations Unit (SIU), who have taken over the investigation, an off-duty Durham police officer was at an LCBO store in Bowmanville when a robbery took place.
The infant’s grandparents, ages 60 and 55, died in the crash, SIU spokesperson Monica Hudon told media at an update Tuesday at the scene. Also killed in the crash was the driver of the suspect vehicle.

Last edited:
Recall I had this discussion on here with some of you and I said "why not just take the plates and video surveillance and visit them at their home and avoid a high speed chase?"

Some of the video can be found online, it is insane to see a cop car chasing a booze stealing idiot INTO ONCOMING TRAFFIC ON THE BUSIEST HIGHWAY IN THE COUNTRY!

this was just outside Toronto, the police chased this car at high speed, on the most busy highway in Canada going the wrong way into traffic. 4 People were killed including a young kid. What did the loogan steal? A couple of bottles of booze.

This is horrible judgement and many Canadians are outraged. There have been a series of really scandalous stories, from police lying in court which could have put a man in prison for life, to top police chiefs being fired for "deception", others being caught lying about beating a man when it was caught on video. On and on.

It is not a good look. We need the right kinds of people in positions of authority, not people willing to put publics lives at risk for a few dollars worth of booze.

Audio recordings captured the chaotic moments leading up to a crash that killed four people, including an infant on Highway 401 in Whitby after a police chase Monday evening.

At least six Durham police vehicles were seen pursuing the U-Haul van in the wrong direction just before it crashed, audio of police radio calls reviewed by the Star shows.

“If we can pass on, just want to make sure the Durham sergeant’s aware that they’re driving the opposite direction,” an unidentified OPP officer says to dispatch.

“Someone’s going to get hurt.”
“10-4,” the dispatcher says. “We’re calling them now.”
Timestamped just before 8 p.m. the calls reflect the incident from the perspective of emergency services as Durham officers chased after a suspect. The Ontario Provincial Police Whitby highway patrol radio calls as well as Durham EMS dispatchers and paramedics were recorded by civilian radio enthusiasts and posted online.

According to the Special Investigations Unit (SIU), who have taken over the investigation, an off-duty Durham police officer was at an LCBO store in Bowmanville when a robbery took place.
The infant’s grandparents, ages 60 and 55, died in the crash, SIU spokesperson Monica Hudon told media at an update Tuesday at the scene. Also killed in the crash was the driver of the suspect vehicle.
It would have been simple to avoid, if the off-duty officers, had simply pulled his gun and shot the guy that pulled the knife, until he was no longer a threat.

It would have been simple to avoid, if the off-duty officers, had simply pulled his gun and shot the guy that pulled the knife, until he was no longer a threat.
It is about judgement, risk/reward, cost vs benefit etc.

He steals some booze, You have video evidence and his plates. You calmly arrest him the next day.

This wasn't some mastermind bilking billions or a serial killer. He needed his booze fix, it is a near epidemic in Canada. He stole a few bottles of booze. No one needed to die, not even him really as much as he is the cause of all of this. It took two to tango though.

There is also the requirement of the superior on the phone to decide if the chase should continue and clearly he made the wrong choice by letting him pursue the perp.

It is about judgement, risk/reward, cost vs benefit etc.

He steals some booze, You have video evidence and his plates. You calmly arrest him the next day.

This wasn't some mastermind bilking billions or a serial killer. He needed his booze fix, it is a near epidemic in Canada. He stole a few bottles of booze. No one needed to die, not even him really as much as he is the cause of all of this. It took two to tango though.

There is also the requirement of the superior on the phone to decide if the chase should continue and clearly he made the wrong choice by letting him pursue the perp.
I do not know how you people set priorities up there. I am a simple guy. If I am in a liquor store, see a robbery at knife point, tell the SOB to halt, and he attempt to turn the knife on me or move on somebody else, I will shoot until not a threat, unless he stops, disarms and waits for the police. A threat is a threat, and I am not even a cop and never have been.

I do not know how you people set priorities up there. I am a simple guy. If I am in a liquor store, see a robbery at knife point, tell the SOB to halt, and he attempt to turn the knife on me or move on somebody else, I will shoot until not a threat, unless he stops, disarms and waits for the police. A threat is a threat, and I am not even a cop and never have been.
Wrong.
You are establishing values for society where the cash register contents are more valuable than a human life.
You also are promoting shooting long before there is actually any real risk.
If you had been through the training cops are supposed to have, you would know.

Before you get side tracked, the problem entirely was from the fact humans have an inherent "fight or flight" instinct that makes them do foolish things like drive on the wrong side of the freeway. The cops are suppose to know this and avoid high speed chases. They are strictly illegal.

Wrong.
You are establishing values for society where the cash register contents are more valuable than a human life.
Just establishing, that for a thief to threaten a clerk with a knife to steal the proceeds of legal commerce is totally not acceptable, places the clerk in danger, as when somebody threatens with a weapon, they may kill you either way whether you comply or not. Also establishing the use of a weapon in commission of a felony is a felony in itself. It is not the money, it is the threatening with a weapon. In this case, a knife. It is well known here, never bring a knife to a gun fight. Most knife wielders will stop if facing a gun, as only logical. If they do not, they are not rational, and are very dangerous, and should be shot until they are no longer a threat. Being a fking thief is a dangerous occupation, not recommended by any guidance counselor you ever spoke with or heard of. It is a good way to get shot, and that can ruin your whole day as well as the expectations of your business model.

Wrong.

Before you get side tracked, the problem entirely was from the fact humans have an inherent "fight or flight" instinct that makes them do foolish things like drive on the wrong side of the freeway. The cops are suppose to know this and avoid high speed chases. They are strictly illegal.
Wrong

You are trying to deny human rights most importantly property rights which is an extension of the right to self determination.

No one is promoting any such thing.

High speed chases are not strictly illegal

So you say,​

Four Florida Youths, Including High School Football Star, Killed in High-Speed Chase After Allegedly Stealing Car (PHOTOS)​

Four Florida teens, including a high school football star, were killed in a high-speed chase earlier this month after allegedly stealing a vehicle.

WLBT reported Saturday that the April 20 pursuit started with a Honda CRV that was reported stolen out of Gainesville and ended in the Waldo area. A license plate reader had detected the alleged theft hours later.

A deputy followed the stolen vehicle while waiting for backup to arrive. Once backup officers arrived to help, they tried to pull the SUV over, but it slowed down and then sped off.

“We confirmed with the Gainesville Police Department that they still had that car entered as stolen, and the officer waited until he had three backup units with him before he initiated the traffic stop,” Bradford County Sheriff’s Chief Deputy Brad Smith said. “They did start to pull over on the shoulder of the road, but before they came to a complete stop, they accelerated again, and that is when the chase was on.”
WLBT revealed that Bradford County deputies reached speeds of 111 mph during the chase, but they were unable to match the speed of the SUV. Police officials said deputies pulled back, and a Florida Highway Patrol trooper continued the chase.

The trooper was able to ram the vehicle and used a PIT maneuver. This caused the SUV to roll over and slam into a cement pole.

I am surprised this thread did not bring in the Anti-Cop brigade in force. I mean just above I showed 4 "teens" killed in Police chase. Should bring some of them out I would think. Up above similar was also happening in Canda.
pknopp JoeB131 etc.

Sounds like the police were reckless. I'm sure someone is going to lose his job.
Cops don't lose their jobs in Canada. Not even pay in 99% of instances.

Worse scenario would be "demoted for a year at lower wage". That's what a cop did for taking his boots to the head of a man while he was on the ground. He is still happily employed.

The most likely worst is "suspended with pay", this occurs even if a cop is charged with a major crime. This was a high speed chase on a highway INTO oncoming traffic. The 401 goes all the way to Buffalo, this is a very busy highway and cars are flying.

Canada isn't your ally. We are what America left when you started your country...

Last edited:
This tragic story gets worse. Witnesses said "dozens of police cars were chasing this car", and, apparently the supervisor called off the chase (let's see the timing of when this was decided, the OPP may be covering themselves). Now we learn the 3 month old baby who died was there with their parents visiting from India.

Sad and quite avoidable. There parents are going to survive so I imagine the lawsuits will be filed soon.

Parents of baby boy who died in Whitby crash were in the vehicle, expected to survive: SIU

Last edited:

Forum List

Back